Highlighted

Firmware Updater

Total Newbie here, first MP3 player for me.  So far the View has worked flawlessly handling my music downloads.  I have not tried

pictures or video yet.  I followed instructions and did the Firmware Updater when I used it the first time.  Of course it immediately

downloaded the 01.02.09 firmware.  My only gripe has been that I'm only getting like 7 hrs. of battery life.  After reading through

these forums, it looks like I might want to try the 01.01.06a to get better battery life.  I've done searches and found that I can

download the old firmware, but how the heck do I cut off this Updater to prevent it from reloading 01.02.09 again once I have the

01.01.06a installed ? 

You folks are a tremendous help with the View and the fixes you have been able to come up with.  It looks like you are bailing

SanDisk out daily on this forum.  I hope SanDisk is taking all this in.  I hope to be another resource once I get some experience

with this thing.

Thanks !!!!

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Firmware Updater

Right click on the icon in the task bar and select "Never check for updates".
Highlighted

Thanks Brobied, I guess I have concentrated working so much in the files (downloading music, pics and deleting) that I never even

noticed or had crossed my mind that an icon had appeared on the task bar.  This was way to simple......I appreciate the help.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Glad I was able to help - sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to see on your own. I know from experience - that is why I use forums like this one - maybe someday you can answer a question I have.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Why even have the upgrader installed if you are going to switch it off?  Just about anything you add to an XP/Vista box wants to run in the background, and you soon find your 3.4 GHz box with 2GB of ram is running slower than a Commodore C-64.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@NickD wrote:
Why even have the upgrader installed if you are going to switch it off?  Just about anything you add to an XP/Vista box wants to run in the background, and you soon find your 3.4 GHz box with 2GB of ram is running slower than a Commodore C-64.
Wel, you would be able to run the program when you want to in order to upgrade the firmware, instead of having the program automatically update.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

All those things in the system tray can be confusing, I agree.  A great suggestion for improvement of the Sansa Updater would be a desktop shortcut for manual activation, versus having it in the tray, running in the background.

Perhaps the right person at SanDisk will get the idea.

I have confidence that SanDisk will eventually come up with the right solution for the View firmware- it's the waiting part that's so annoying.

Bob  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Firmware is extremely critical for proper operation and prefer to manually install it, first downloaded View01.01.06.zip twice switching the second download to 2_View01.01.06.zip and did a file comparison to make sure both were identical, can always lose a bit or two in any download.  Second, make sure the View has a fully charged battery from a wall charger capable of fully charing it before installing the firmware, then like to see the View go through it's thing when it's disconnected after the installation.  All other programs in the computer are turned off except explorer during this process with anti-virus in particular turned off.  I even unplug my modem.

The Sansa upgrader doesn't take any of the above in account, battery can be near dead, and upgrading on the fly is nothing short of being reckless. 

Could well be why you are having problems, and I am not, and never upgrade unless you have the original firmware to go back to.  When I quickly learned how the upgrader was set up, it came off my computer in two seconds including the many register entries the uninstalles never remove.  Remember that movie, War Games?  Just shows the problems one can have with automation.  But some people never learn.