Re: Fast Forwarding?

If support seeing this post.
Missing things are:

Fast froward as in Zen V
Book makring as in Zen V

And you have an excelent playe

The |<  and  >|  issues.... I see I'm not the only one.... maybe some Sandisk/Sansa guru on the marketing payroll will place this on their "to do" list.

Hint....  the "|<" and ">|" buttons should be programmable.... check your competition for ideas. Look at the Olympus DS-### series.  They allow you to rewind and fast forward at different speed of YOUR choice.

You can chose a "|<" of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 30 sec, 1, 5, 10 min or file skip to the previous file .AND. the ">|" skip 10, 30 sec, 1, 5 10 min or file skip to the next file.

Please check and do an internal market test using "book" listeners.  More and more libraries are using that method.  More and more people are getting older with poor vision..... this is a market to conquer.... all you need is harware and different firmware for different applications..

GO FOR IT Sandisk!!!

Fast forward with the wheel is the solution to slow fast forward problems. it is very precise and fast.
I know that the older sansa player had this as an option within the song's menu, but for some reason it was removed.
It should be activated with the middle button. I hate to say this, but it would be just like the ipod.
SanDisk User

"...it would be just like the ipod."

And, given Apple's penchant for attempting to patent interfaces/interactivity, probably protected or at least attempted.
SanDisk User

yes, that is true.  downloaded vids from utube go quite fast, while backtracking thru a song , it only skips 4 sec, which takes forever!  The e280 did 15 second scans thru a song...I was hoping this would be on the firmware update...

"given Apple's penchant for attempting to patent interfaces/interactivity, probably protected or at least attempted."

Sandisk already has the option of scrolling within a song using the wheel in the Sansa E280, so i am assuming they have the right to do it again in the Sansa View. I was really surprised that they decided to remove the feature they already had.
In the E280 Sandisk chose to hide the option in the song's menu as opposed to showing it when clicking on the middle button a couple of times, like you can currently access the sub-page showing the next song that will play or the not-so-useful jumping equalizer bars.

Yes I too have found that fastforward or reverse is a matter of format of the video in question.  If I use wmv it sucks.  If I use mpeg4 it is just as good as the bird video.

Highlighted

Actually, as far as video is concerned, fast-forward and rewind are factors of the keyframe spacing specified in the encoding. I have one video that has a setting of one keyframe every 250 frames, and it is impossibly fast to scan through (you can pass 5 minutes in about 5 seconds). Internt Video Converter has a default keyframe spacing of 5 frames, and this gives a scan speed that feels somewhat too pedestrian, especially with a 30 minute video.

The bigger the number, the faster the scan speed, but the harder it will then be to get to the exact location desired in the video. It all comes down to finding that sweet-spot between acceptable accuracy and speed. For a 5 minute music video, a keyframe spacing of 5 is pretty good. For a 15-60 minute video, try a keyframe spacing of around 10-50. For a movie, you will probably want a big keyframe spacing, like 250. Experiment and find some settings that work for you.

And I agree, I would love to see the ability of the wheel to act as some kind of jog-wheel for music and video. Even if you had to go to the configuration menu to change the function, it would be far more use than just as a volume control.

Okay, I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I am going to add my two cents so SanDisk might do something about it.  Fast forwarding through a 12 hour book on tape because I lost my place does not work.  I tried twice and 45 minutes into it, I slipped and moved ahead a song instead.  You have to backup and start all over.  Remember, if you don't lose your place, you can always use the "Play Previous" menu option and it will usually work.  It would be nice to listen to some songs between my book on tape sessions though!!

Overall, I have sung the praises of my "non-ipod" sansa player (our family has 6 of them).  It has performed well.  Can you just put an bios flash that will fast forward faster as you hold the button down rather than the standard 15 seconds per jump?

SanDisk User

A Crude Solution

[ Edited ]

I've finally SOLVED the FF/REW problem for long (30min+) podcasts on the View:

I put them on my e280v2!  It's FF/REW works GREAT!

16g View is now a MUSIC-ONLY device.

Hey, I said it was a crude solution!

Message Edited by tvdavey on 09-14-2008 07:41 PM
Message Edited by tvdavey on 09-14-2008 07:41 PM