Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: FTC Consumer Complaint

It's been months. There's a substantial difference between expecting a firmware update in six hours and expecting one within two MONTHS.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei
Highlighted

I have not seen any of these problems.  I think that with anything, if its defective then go through the proper channels to have it fixed.  Many people have success with this and its possible you have just gotten a defective product (which is known to happen from time to time with electronics).  filing a complaint with the FTC is going to do no good by stating "oh go look at the forums, thre are a lot of issues in there"  I would love to know what the extent of all the problems are that make you feel that the FTC would get involved in this. 
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Maybe you should try reading the forum. Most, if not all of us, have these issues. It's not just defective units. it's defective firmware.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Aircraftkiller wrote:
Maybe you should try reading the forum. Most, if not all of us, have these issues. It's not just defective units. it's defective firmware.

What I think he might be trying to imply as that you cant properly say what "most" is. I mean, to be fair, lets say they sold about 1,000 units. Out of these 1000 units, theres maybe what, 50 people (tops) complaining on this forum.

That means. The others eithier are not having problems. Dont know enough to come to the forum or just call SanDisk to replace said unit. (or possibly just deal with it)

I doubt SanDisk will go above and beyond for the X amount of people that have posted such issues, when others claim to not have a problem at all.

Keep in mind, I do not personally own a view, so I cant really weigh in on it too much.

I agree with the fact that there are quite a few things I would change (adding msc mode) and some bugs to address (according to my readings).

Realize that companies, more often than not, spend there man power on the new and improved products, rather then fixing something that is, as far as we know, a small portion (compared to total units sold) of total units sold.

Spending money addressing those issues could possibly be considered a waste of time, effort and money.

Kinda like microsoft not fixing windowsME, but instead releasing a newer version.

Besides, its not like there is not a 1 (866) number that anyone can call and get his/her issues addressed on a case by case basis.

Message Edited by Enigma on 04-10-2008 11:48 AM
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

@Enigma wrote:

@Aircraftkiller wrote:

What I think he might be trying to imply as that you cant properly say what "most" is. I mean, to be fair, lets say they sold about 1,000 units. Out of these 1000 units, theres maybe what, 50 people (tops) complaining on this forum.

That means. The others eithier are not having problems. Dont know enough to come to the forum or just call SanDisk to replace said unit. (or possibly just deal with it)

I doubt SanDisk will go above and beyond for the X amount of people that have posted such issues, when others claim to not have a problem at all.

Keep in mind, I do not personally own a view, so I cant really weigh in on it too much.

I agree with the fact that there are quite a few things I would change (adding msc mode) and some bugs to address (according to my readings).

Realize that companies, more often than not, spend there man power on the new and improved products, rather then fixing something that is, as far as we know, a small portion (compared to total units sold) of total units sold.

Spending money addressing those issues could possibly be considered a waste of time, effort and money.

Kinda like microsoft not fixing windowsME, but instead releasing a newer version.

Besides, its not like there is not a 1 (866) number that anyone can call and get his/her issues addressed on a case by case basis.

Message Edited by Enigma on 04-10-2008 11:48 AM

lol
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

"While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint helps us investigate fraud, and can lead to law enforcement action."

Thanks to the Reagan administration, the FTC doesn't have enough power to even fire up a View operating in standby mode.  If you make direct contact to the FTC, they will tell you to hire an attorney and take the manufacturer or whoever to court.  And the as the plantiff in this matter the burden of proof or deception will be on your shoulders, so if you lack the technical skills, be prepared to hire an expert witness firm as well.  Do you have at least $100,000.00 to spare?  If you get by cheap.

Then to complicate matters, the View is just another computer peripheral so you may have to include not only your computer manufacturer, but Microsoft as well, ha, and don't get caught with any shared MP3's.

If I buy something and it doesn't work, just take it back, did have to do that with the first View we purchased, second one using firmware 06a is working flawlessly, but did take getting use to working with WMP 11 for playlists.

What makes you think the firmware is your problem?  Prepared to prove that in court?  And why didn't you give Sandisk the opportunity to look at it first? 

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@NickD wrote:

"While the FTC does not resolve individual consumer problems, your complaint helps us investigate fraud, and can lead to law enforcement action."

Thanks to the Reagan administration, the FTC doesn't have enough power to even fire up a View operating in standby mode.  If you make direct contact to the FTC, they will tell you to hire an attorney and take the manufacturer or whoever to court.  And the as the plantiff in this matter the burden of proof or deception will be on your shoulders, so if you lack the technical skills, be prepared to hire an expert witness firm as well.  Do you have at least $100,000.00 to spare?  If you get by cheap.

Then to complicate matters, the View is just another computer peripheral so you may have to include not only your computer manufacturer, but Microsoft as well, ha, and don't get caught with any shared MP3's.

If I buy something and it doesn't work, just take it back, did have to do that with the first View we purchased, second one using firmware 06a is working flawlessly, but did take getting use to working with WMP 11 for playlists.

What makes you think the firmware is your problem?  Prepared to prove that in court?  And why didn't you give Sandisk the opportunity to look at it first? 

lol, internet
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@Enigma wrote:

Wow, that threw me.