SanDisk User

EQ settings and Custom EQ

Man low bass response from the sansa changes from song to song and as I'm sure this has to do with volume leveling and bit rate I'm not surprised but for me to get decent sound quality out of my sansa (all around) This is what I've done to the Custom EQ settings:

I'm also using Skull Candy Ink'd Earbuds instead of the hard plastic ones that come with the sansa and I feel i get a better bass response out of these than I would normally from the standard buds that come with the sansa.

ANYWAY my question is what is everyone else using?  I mean there's no way you guys are using the standard presets?  They totally suck and the bad part is you cant even view them to see how they are setup compared to something that sounds aesthetically pleasing that you made yourself using the custom.  I guess it'd be kind of nice to be able to have three or four custom settings for any particular music you happen to be listening to since the manufacturer has no idea what sounds good on their EQ.

Also I listen to music on normal volume near the lowest setting.  I don't want to go deaf like all the Apple wearers.
SanDisk User

Re: EQ settings and Custom EQ

Hmm, kinda puzzled here.

Is the top number the far left eq???

Ply
Highlighted
SanDisk User

yeah sorry shoulda put that like this

0 6 -6 4 8
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
I do [6 3 0 5 8], but I also find I change it depending upon the headphones.  Currently I'm using the Logitech Freepulse Bluetooth setup, which I've had only a few days.  I'm really digging the lack of wires, though.

[edited]  I'd be curious to see if age has any bearing, too.  Given my mid-40s age and years of, perhaps, jamming too loudly, maybe the 5 and 8 on the high-freq side is something I need more than others.  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by tmkirk on 02-01-2008 01:05 AM
SanDisk User

Not being harsh but Skullcandy makes terrible cans. And your eq settings somewhat prove that.
Here is a breakdown of your settings:
0 = low bass setting = 50hz.  Those SC cans probably wont even do 50hz well.
6 = mid bass setting = 250hz. That is huge for midbass. But makes sense since it gives the illusion of low bass response. Which those SC cans can't do.
-6 = midrange 1khz. You either hate midrange, want to get more bass, or, once again SC cans are crap.
4 = Upper midrange 4khz. SC = crap.
8 = Treble 16khz.  Once again compensating for the very poor SkullCandy cans. 8 at 16khz is huge! those SC must have no treble response at all.

Do yourself a favor and get some decent cans. For the budget minded Koss ksc-75 clip on style is very nice. Jvc marshmellows are good for the buck also...

Ply
SanDisk User

no I straight up HATE mids..that's why they are so low.Ok well with my Korn songs Like Freak on a Leash or BBK I can turn the bass up to 6 and bring my 250 down to 3 or 4 and I get NOICE response.

Then I hit up something like Alice in Chains or Bush and they just go to $#^%.

(now come the flames about the music i listen to....Watch)

SanDisk User

You know I started thinking about it after I posted last night, you go to great lengths to talk trash about SK's "cans" but you don't mention:

A.  Your EQ settings
B.  What "cans" you are using. 

Man up and tell us what you got going on. 

Granted, you do make a refrence to two different types of earphones for some1 who might be on a budget to buy, but that's it.  Also what kind of music you listen to?  Doesn't have to be as specific as listing your bands but the type would be nice.  Alternative Rock, Rap, Country, etc.
SanDisk User

Not trying to talk trash about SkullCandy, really, they are simply horrible cans.

Here are my eq settings. 4,-4,-3,-2,3

My cans are Shure SE420 iems. SE420 are warm cans which is why I drop the midrange and mid-bass some.4 gives a nice kick to sub bass. And the 3 at 16khz gives a nice sparkle to cymbals.

I listen to rock, alternative, progressive, jazz, a little country now and then. My all time favorite bands are Queensryche, Depeche Mode, Staind, Seal, Breaking Benjamin, The Killers, Interpol.

I also own Shure se310, e2c, Jvc fx33, fx66, Westone UM2, UE Superfi 5 pro, Jays D-jays, J-jays, V-moda Vibe, 1st gen and 2nd gen, Koss ksc75, ksc35, a250. That's off the top of my head. If I went through my closet probably find about a dozen more...

Ply

Can you elaborate about the SkullCandy "cans"?   Are they horrible for reasons of sound quality, or the question at hand, which is how to get the Sansa View to produce louder sound.   I'm really amazed that I have to twiddle it so much to get some oomph, since my trusty m240 would blast my drums to deafness on the higher settings.   The SkullCandy buds are comfortable, the sound quality is ok, and sometimes I can get some volume from the View, but still not loud enough to my tastes and no bass unless I drill the buds into my eardrums, even with EQ adjustments.

Go on, laugh.

[6, -12, -12, -12, -12]

The only reason the bass isnt higher is because it distorts.

Earphones: Sony MDR-E818LP. with a 16mm driver, I can have a LOT of bass without it bottoming out.

I listen to everything... as long as the bass is ALL the way up.

But ya'lls probably sound better. Smiley Happy