Duplicate songs files

For some reason, some, not all, of my songs on the View have duplicates. They do not show up as duplicates in Windows media player nor in  Windows.

I tried to delete them from the player (while in the player) then, when I reconnect the player, the Synce Results says that they were skipped and they didn't show up in the player.  Which I think is normal...

But now, when I did a re-sync, the duplicates show up again.  If I delete one, both get deleted.

1. What causes the sync results to show skipped and how do I get rid of the skipped message ?

2. What causes the duplicates in the first place ?

Have latest FW....09
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Duplicate songs files

Can you explain exactly what you did to transfer music to your View?

Sure,  When I first got it, just pluged it in while in Win Med. Player.  Everything sync up normally.  I do remember doing manual sync after that.

Then, the next time I did a sync, I noticed  a few duplicates.  Deleted the duplicates from the player (not from the WMP) because there were no duplicates in the WMP.

The next time I sync'd, the files I deleted on the player said skipped, again I think that is normal.  If you delete them from the player, you don't want them to re-appear back again. But..........they no longer show up on the player....I want at least one copy on the player.

The skipped part and the duplicates is driving me nuts.   Maybe just a reformat is in order.

I've searched on this and found nothing.  It must be just me.
SanDisk Senior User

Try reformatting and sync again. but this time don't do a manual sync after that.

ok will give it a shot

Well, that sucked............  After formating it wouldn't sync any of the music files automatically.  It did sync my podcasts (also MP3s) but that was it. No songs.  Did it 3 or 4 times.  Finally had to select all the files and sync it maually.  Didn't even show sync results.  POS !

I thought this Sansa View was really cool but not so anymore.  POS !

Oh....how the hell does one delete play lists, which are emtpy, from the View.......Another POS problem  !
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
Well, I'm thinking it doesn't know what to sync unless it can find the playlists in question on the device as well.  If you reformatted, that might not happen.

FWIW, I'm not sure I'd refer to the View as a Perfectly Optimized System, but continue if you are so compelled...

Message Edited by tmkirk on 03-07-2008 07:18 PM

I've used MediaMonkey with my 16GB View since November with litle problems.
Highlighted

Oh no no no no, it is not just you! I have a Sansa View 8G and I mostly use the drag and drop method to add tracks to the player from my music files.  I'm running Vista.  I have not yet been able to put my finger on any particular circumstance under which the files will duplicate.  The first time it happened I thought it was because the player was connected to the computer when it abruptly restarted after installing OS updates.  Every track duplicated at that time.  Since they didn't show up on the Sansa track listing on the computer, I had to manually delete the dupes from the player (ugh!)  Since then, tracks have duplicated whenever, whatever.

Anyone with any ideas on this?

Help would be most appreciated.

And BTW, the device freezes at will, too.  

I hope there are remedies for these problems - I really do like my player otherwise. 

I get dupicate songs titles also and I beleive I have figured out two different reasons why.

1) If I set up a playlist using widows media and transfer it to my Veiw, instead of the playlist just using the songs already on the View it recopies them into a separte file and they show up twice on the song list (becasue they are on two places).

2) Most Annoying: My player is an 8 GB so I use an 8 GB expansion micro SD card.  If the card is removed and re-inserted while the player is on, the player refreshes and the songs on the SD card are listed twice.  If it happens again they are listed 3 times.  So I only take the card out or re-insert it with the player off.  All the way off, not stand by off.  To conserve battery I always do a system shutdown  when I shut off the player by turning it off while holding down the "home" button (on the front of the player next to the dial).  The songs are not actually on the card in two places but the titles are in the song list twice and this configures the songs twice in the shuffle mode. 

2a) The only way I have found to delete the dupicate titles is to copy all the songs onto my computer, then delete them off the card, put the empty card back into the Sansa and let it refresh, then recopy the songs back onto the card.