Highlighted

Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

OK, here's what I've found out after messing around with it. (In case anyone else googles.)

It does support MPEG-4 audio as either m4a or mp4 files, but don't put them in AAC container as was stated in a previous reply.

Variable bitrate isn't a problem.

Oddly enough this would probably be useless to a Windows user since Windows Media Player has absolutely no concept of what MP4 audio is, and it would probably not work for Mac users (at least very well) since iTunes doesn't work with MTP.

However on Linux using Rhythmbox, Banshee, or Amarok, with libmtp, they will feed the MP4 files to the Sansa and the cover art, and the correct play order.

MP4 audio appears to be completely undocumended by Sandisk, just guessing because Windows Media Player is stupid and has no understanding of the files or the tags.

Theoretically you could probably use the Windows Media Player tag support extender and a codec pack like K-Lite and hack something together.

I've been using Nero AAC q 0.60 to encode the files.

Highlighted

One more thing, only tag your MP4 files with Easytag, don't let Rhythmbox touch the tags, even if it doesn't understand part of the tag, tagging them with Rhythmbox causes the file to be corrupted/unplayable on the View. *shrugs*
Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

@miltst wrote:

the AAC audio format is Apple's own proprietary audio format for their own players).

But it's not.

None of the "A"'s in "AAC" stands for "Apple."  They don't own the AAC format any more than they own my left nut.

Advanced Audio Coding

Message Edited by PickMorel on 06-18-2009 06:28 PM
Highlighted

OK, did some testing on Windoze and I found that the player refuses to show M4A files added to it with Winamp, or Windows Media Player (of course you have to tack on support for those in WMP anyway), it does not show any M4A's added by Banshee 1.5.0 on Linux but shows some added by 1.4.

Everything added by Rhythmbox seems to show OK unless you edit the tags with anything that usesw ffmpeg as a backend.

So to get the Sansa View to play M4A, you have to rip and tag them with Foobar 2000 with Nero AAC (which can work in Wine), then transfer them using Rhythmbox on Linux.

Seems like the player can play them, it just deliberately hides them and this gets around that, which is bizarre.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

AAC is a format not a container, its container is MP4.  If you create a .AAC file, it means you have a raw AAC stream with no container.  These are non-standard and should not be expected to work on an Sansa.

If you want to add these to a View, you should probably turn off MTP and just copy them via MSC mode.  I've never seen an MTP software program that knew what to do with AAC files.