Reply
Highlighted
Newbie
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎06-06-2009

Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

I just ordered one off Newegg, so it's not a dealbreaker if it doesn't, but I have a Winamp Pro license and so I also have the AAC+/HE-AAC codecs, both for low and mid bitrates and high bitrates.

 

Has anyone tried using these files with the View and do they work as intended?

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor
Posts: 431
Registered: ‎09-28-2008

Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

I don't know. Never tried it.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 1,460
Registered: ‎12-27-2008

Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

From the "Sansa View User Manual and General Information" thread:

 

  • Digital audio standards: MP3, WMA, Audible, Protected WMA (DRM)
  • Highlighted
    SanDisk Fanatic
    Posts: 221
    Registered: ‎02-26-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

    Although the View will not play AAC music files...

     

    It is interesting to note that it will play AAC audio in an MP4 video file. I can only assume the reason that SanDisk does not allow it to play AAC audio files was to avoid legal complications and/or the extra costs about licensing with Apple (since the AAC audio format is Apple's own proprietary audio format for their own players).

    Highlighted
    Newbie
    Posts: 8
    Registered: ‎06-06-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

    AAC is just a container, and using it rather than just the standard MP4/M4A container will bloat the size of the file by about 5% it seems.

     

    If it comes down to it, I'll just use MP3, I've been playing around with the latest Lame 3.99 alphas and I like what I've been getting from it.

     

    WMA is not an option for a number of reasons both technical and because I don't want to be locked into Microsoft formats as I alternate between several operating systems.

     

    I was merely curious as to the optimal codec to use.

     

    milst: It probably plays MP4 files outside of the AAC container because it supports MPEG-4 videos.

    Highlighted
    SanDisk Fanatic
    Posts: 221
    Registered: ‎02-26-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

    As mentioned in an earlier post, with the View you're pretty much stuck with only a choice between MP3 or WMA for music files. Theoretically, the WMA format can produce better audio quality than MP3. Be aware that the View does not support the WMA Lossless format though.

     

    If your goal is to maintain the highest quality while still keeping your audio files compatible with all devices (other players or computers), then you will very likely be stuck with wanting to use 320Kbps MP3 format (since just about everything these days can play MP3 files).

     

    Just as a side note, the Sansa Fuze can also play OGG and FLAC files. OGG is somewhat better than MP3, while FLAC is lossless. Also, the hardware of the Fuze produces slightly better audio then the View.

     

     

    Highlighted
    Newbie
    Posts: 8
    Registered: ‎06-06-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?


    @miltst wrote:

    Theoretically, the WMA format can produce better audio quality than MP3. Be aware that the View does not support the WMA Lossless format though. 

     

    That was what the Microsoft marketing arm said about it anyway, I could always spot the WMA as it tends to totally destroy mids unless you encode it at insanely high bitrates (talking above 256). 

     

    The other day I went and did an ABX test to try and figure out what bitrate and codec is the most transparent to me. It turned out that at 192k CBR, I spotted the WMA 13 times out of 18 with a 4.5% chance of having guessed, and I spotted 192k CBR Lame MP3 4 times out of 18 with a 95.5% chance that I was guessing, I had to take the WMA up to 288k CBR to get it to sound as good as a 192k MP3, and by that time the WMA was much much larger (and only about 5 times the bitrate that Microsoft's compulsive lying would have you believe is CD quality) Smiley Happy In the words of Peter Venkman "Back off man, I'm a scientist!" 

     

    Highlighted
    Newbie
    Posts: 8
    Registered: ‎06-06-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

    Btw, didn't mean to sound like an ass, but WMA is really pretty much the worst option there is for audio encoding, LAME MP3, Nero AAC, and AoTuv Vorbis are pretty close to one another with Aotuv sounding the best. Maybe I'll just send this thing back and grab a player that does Vorbis.
    Highlighted
    SanDisk Fanatic
    Posts: 221
    Registered: ‎02-26-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

    By "Vorbis" I'm assuming you mean OGG-Vorbis (ones a container and the other the encoding as I understand things). Anyway, the Sansa Fuze can play OGG and also FLAC (which would be totally lossless).

     

    Highlighted
    Newbie
    Posts: 8
    Registered: ‎06-06-2009

    Re: Does the View support HE-AAC/AAC+?

     Yeah, I usually specify Vorbis because Ogg is just a container which can be a capsule containing Vorbis or FLAC audio or Theora Video, or a combination. Matroska is also becoming a fairly common container for any combination of audio and video as well, so it just helps avoid confusion to say "Vorbis". As for AoTuv Vorbis encoders, they're a forked version of the official Vorbis and tweaked to perform better. As Vorbis is free/open source, the improvements typically get merged back into the official Vorbis encoder eventually.