SanDisk Professor

Re: Does Sandisk just not care?

not to throw stones in the calm ocean so to speak, but is Gapless audio on the box of the player? (Genuine question, not being sarcastic... just to point that out since a lot of you who are on here, know i can be sarcastic at times..)
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
SanDisk User

Nope, the box doesn't say Gapless playback.

At least mines doesn't. But I assume all View's come in the same "Sansa View" box

I wouldn't doubt that they come in different boxes.  I already said I don't think all the views are created equal.
SanDisk Professor

ok just checking, I've seen many MANY posts about people saying "they said it had gapless playback (waa)" but i couldn't recall ever seeing that anywhere... at all... ever
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4

As a recent buyer of an 8G View I have just been through the same .09FW debacle that everyone else has. I have a few contributions to this thread.

1 Gapless playback was never promised to my knowledge

2 The Sansa tech support people I have spoken to have been very apologetic for the fact that the company has not been upfront about the battery life compromises that are such a feature of FW.09. They have assured me that the company is onto it and a further revision is being developed to retain the improved video playback without trashing battery life. That said, they also told me that they are not given enough time to address these issues.

3. As so many others have said, if Sansa had just been upfront about the SD and FW.09 battery issues then we could all have made an informed choice. My choice is to run FW.06 and have 30 hours of music playback and sacrifice video playback. It is just pathetic that a company who makes such a good player as the view can be so comtemptuous and stupid when it comes to dealing honestly with customers.

4 On the current evidence I would have to suggest that Sansa DOES NOT CARE. I really hope they can prove me wrong. 

1. Gapless - I remember reading about it in promo material before I purchased, and in the online PDF user's manual for awhile too, but it isn't on the box.

2.  I spoke with Sansa Technical Support for the first time ever this weekend.  They most certainly were not anything approaching apologetic.  The "Supervisor" I spoke with was pretty "in your face."  He claimed outright that he owns a View and that he has always had battery life approaching the advertised spec (he never mentioned a number.)  He also claimed that all of the View's features work "flawlessly" and always have under every revision and release of the firmware.  He pretty much suggested that my experience was an abberation.

I really and truly hate being treated as if I were an idiot (even when I am, but that is another story.)  That includes being lied to or having sunshine blown up my a**.  I was given a case number and told to reformat, put on the 09a firmware, and call them for an exchange if my battery life is still too short.

I wrote to Sandisk Customer Service and asked them point blank if this was worth my time.  Will I be given a player meeting the advertised specs if I do an RMA?  Will I have the same problems with the new player?  I tried to be really reasonable about this.  Should I just continue to wait for newer firmware?  I guess that is everyone's question at this point.

SanDisk Guru

if your talking about battery life, have you tried rolling back to .06 firmware? .09 has known issues.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

@engram wrote:

1. Gapless - I remember reading about it in promo material before I purchased, and in the online PDF user's manual for awhile too, but it isn't on the box.

2.  I spoke with Sansa Technical Support for the first time ever this weekend.  They most certainly were not anything approaching apologetic.  The "Supervisor" I spoke with was pretty "in your face."  He claimed outright that he owns a View and that he has always had battery life approaching the advertised spec (he never mentioned a number.)  He also claimed that all of the View's features work "flawlessly" and always have under every revision and release of the firmware.  He pretty much suggested that my experience was an abberation.

I really and truly hate being treated as if I were an idiot (even when I am, but that is another story.)  That includes being lied to or having sunshine blown up my a**.  I was given a case number and told to reformat, put on the 09a firmware, and call them for an exchange if my battery life is still too short.

I wrote to Sandisk Customer Service and asked them point blank if this was worth my time.  Will I be given a player meeting the advertised specs if I do an RMA?  Will I have the same problems with the new player?  I tried to be really reasonable about this.  Should I just continue to wait for newer firmware?  I guess that is everyone's question at this point.

Did you ask the guy if he has ever looked at this forum?
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

@engram wrote:

I was given a case number and told to reformat, put on the 09a firmware, and call them for an exchange if my battery life is still too short.

If you want my advice... don't do it unless your View is completely bricked.

Based on MY experience....

No, you will not be given a player meeting the advertised specs if you do an RMA.  You will get a player that was manufactured some time last Fall with a gap in the case and it will have the ORIGINAL as in the FIRST version firmware on it.  It will have a noticible gap in the case and the menu button will appear to be depressed into the case.  You will need to decide if this acceptable to you.  Also, UPS will deliver it to SanDisk in 3 business days... after it is delivered there will be a lag of several days before they acknowledge it has been recieved... THEN 10 days later (no less... 10 days) you will receive notification it is being shipped and to watch your ebox for shipping information... then there will be a lag of several days before it is actually shipped and delivered in 3 business days.... so plan on not having your device for quite a while... 3 weeks to a month.

Yes, it will have exactly the same problems AND it will have a gap in the case.

Again, my advice... don't do it unless your View is completely bricked.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my 4th player (3 RMA's) and now it's the principle of the thing.   If I have to keep sending them back and make them go through every player in the warehouse until they send me one that is put together correctly then that is what I'm going to do.

My current RMA number is 11,493 higher than my first RMA number so I'm hoping that means that 11,493 replacements have gone out the door and they've run out of gapped ones and I get a good one.
Message Edited by eddiehaskell on 04-07-2008 09:12 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@eddiehaskell wrote:

@engram wrote:

I was given a case number and told to reformat, put on the 09a firmware, and call them for an exchange if my battery life is still too short.

If you want my advice... don't do it unless your View is completely bricked.

Based on MY experience....

No, you will not be given a player meeting the advertised specs if you do an RMA.  You will get a player that was manufactured some time last Fall with a gap in the case and it will have the ORIGINAL as in the FIRST version firmware on it.  It will have a noticible gap in the case and the menu button will appear to be depressed into the case.  You will need to decide if this acceptable to you.  Also, UPS will deliver it to SanDisk in 3 business days... after it is delivered there will be a lag of several days before they acknowledge it has been recieved... THEN 10 days later (no less... 10 days) you will receive notification it is being shipped and to watch your ebox for shipping information... then there will be a lag of several days before it is actually shipped and delivered in 3 business days.... so plan on not having your device for quite a while... 3 weeks to a month.

Yes, it will have exactly the same problems AND it will have a gap in the case.

Again, my advice... don't do it unless your View is completely bricked.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of my 4th player (3 RMA's) and now it's the principle of the thing.   If I have to keep sending them back and make them go through every player in the warehouse until they send me one that is put together correctly then that is what I'm going to do.

My current RMA number is 11,493 higher than my first RMA number so I'm hoping that means that 11,493 replacements have gone out the door and they've run out of gapped ones and I get a good one.
Message Edited by eddiehaskell on 04-07-2008 09:12 AM

OMG that is horrible man.  I applaud you for your tenacity though and hope that you do eventually getyour MP3 player that you orignally paid for. SD has it they just haven't shipped it out to you yet.  =)  Keep the faith brotha.  Lets just hope one of the posts about SD already working on another FW update is true.