Highlighted

Destroyed headphone jack. (like older posts)

[ Edited ]
I too have destroyed my headphone jack.  not totally sure how but it seems to only work when I hold the male plug at an angle and sometimes only plays out of one headphone. I think the problem is I stretched out the connecting wires or something but I'm not an expert so I have no idea.  anyone know how to help?
Message Edited by skikles on 11-05-2009 07:36 AM
Message Edited by skikles on 11-05-2009 07:45 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Destroyed headphone jack. (like older posts)

Try a different pair of head/ear phones. If it's the jack itself that's broken, **bleep**can the View.
Highlighted

I know it isn't the headphones but I really want an mp3 player.  You really got nothing for me? Maybe reconnecting the pins to the motherboard?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

If you're the adventurous type, this post in the e200 board may be similar enough to the View to be of help.
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

It's probably a cracked trace on the mainboard. The View's headphone jack placement is poor design and very prone to breaking. The C200 series are similar, but worse. The jack sits at a corner of the board which is slotted to fit the jack body. It leaves a small section of the board very prone to flexing at the jack on that side. The result is a cracked connection or trace after repeated flexing. BAD DESIGN!

The Fuze and Clip were improved with the entire jack body mounted on top of the board.

If you do fix it, fill the area under the jack and board corner with RTV. This will help stiffen that area better.

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

That's on the Sansa e200, this is the View site,  View has a non-replaceable battery and no visible screws to get inside.  Wife had her View for almost two years now, still working, but did wonder how one would get inside if he had to, and can you even find a replaceable battery?  But its still working, not sure if the case halves are glued together or ultrasonically welded.  But able to make minor repairs on her Walkman, a cassette player or even her CD player, motor requires a tad of lubrication to get up to speed and always find fuzz on the head tracking mechanism.  Dead in my tracks to the electronics, all custom made ASICs with no replaceable components.  They are throwaway products as I believe the View also is.

1/8" phone jacks are poor to begin with, with very tiny barrel slide in contacts, if the phone plug even got a little bit sticky, would never make contact.  Thanks to Asian eletronics, we got throwaway stuff, just buy another throwaway product, it keeps their economy going while ours goes broke.

Anyone ever open up a View without breaking it?

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

The View is quite easy to open. The View, Fuze and Clip are snap together design. On the View there is one screw. If you look to the right of the 30pin connector, there is a small circle. Use a pin to remove the black circle, there is a screw behind it that needs to be removed. Next work down the sides with a pry tool or thin knife to pop the snap-tabs free. Work slow and careful and do not flex the facaplate too much, it bends very easily. The View is easier to get apart than the Fuze or Clip. The Fuze is the hardest to reassemble due to the faceplate ribbon cable being very tricky to install.

IIRC the View has a connector on its battery leads, the Fuze and Clip have battery leads soldered to the mainboard.

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Not sure if I even want to open wife's view for the two hundred bucks we paid for it, but was half the price of those other brands.  For 30 bucks more, can buy a netbook with a 160 GB HD, a ten inch screen, Windows 7 preloaded, headphone output, but if you can live with two one inch speakers in stereo sound, don't need the phones.  Can even get on the net with it, these MP3 players are way overpriced.  And why the FM radio?  Those you can buy for a couple of bucks.
Highlighted

See my posts on the View forum regarding how I fixed my View's useless headphone jack under the title

"Sansa View Headphone Jack Repair"