Highlighted

Best way to Fill the Player

Hi,

I just got the View and I'm wondering how to fill it!

I have audio and video Podcasts that i regulary follow (the do play on the view when i use the WMP to fill it)

and i'm searching the best prog to fill my player with content.

Also I'm wondering: Does the view support FLAC? and if not what would be the best transcode? 

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Best way to Fill the Player

Sure don't want peer to peer, FBI is watching.  Do have a Soundblaster with software to convert my LP collection to first a .wav file, then to MP3, fine if you want to spend the rest of your life doing that.  Been able to find many CD's from half.com, used, great condition for a couple of bucks including shipping, least I own the CD and use windows media to convert those to MP3's.  That I can click a button and walk away from it.

Sansa is also tied in with Rhapsody.com, but will cost you about 15 bucks a month and have millions of MP3's to legally use.

Each to is own on this issue, from some of the fines I have read, not about to lose my home and life savings just to listen to an MP3.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

@Nordicjan wrote:

Hi,

I use one of those flip-spout squeeze bottles filled with water. Inject into the headphone jack until it runs out of the dock connector. While it is smoking and absorbing my media, I turn on my Fuze and enjoy - TIC!

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Nordicjan wrote:

Hi,

I have audio and video Podcasts that i regulary follow (the do play on the view when i use the WMP to fill it)

and i'm searching the best prog to fill my player with content.

Also I'm wondering: Does the view support FLAC? and if not what would be the best transcode? 

I think the best program to fill your player is no program at all. Just use MSC mode and drag & drop the files from your computer to your View.

And no, the View does not support FLAC. The newer players do; the Clip+ supports FLAC & OGG out of the box and the Fuze and original Clip will play it with updated firmware. As far as the best format? MP3 is kinda the de facto standard, but I would suggest a higher bit-rate for quality. While it's still a 'lossy' format, personally I rip everything at 256kbps and it sounds good. No, it's not FLAC, but it takes up a whole lot less space.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

One of the finest conversion utility is made by dbPowerAmp.  It is a professional grade utility.  It costs 25 USDs a year to use.  However, you can use it free for 30 days.  At its end all of the features used in file explorer still work.  You highlight and right click the files you want to convert and it does.  I suggest you ignore their advice and add all the codexs you could possible use in the 30 days. It uses many codex that require a license hence the fee.  It is about the best riper as well.  Better than EAC.I prefer using the DNA helix encoder to down grade Flac not only does it produce excellent quality (second by a only a nose with LAME)it is blazing fast!  It takes full use of dual core technology.  It is about 50 times faster than LAME.  I suggest you use either with the VBR mp3 format to create great sounding but small tunes. 

There are 2 very fine audio apps you should try that will sync your Sansa with selected tunes on your computer.

The FBI does NOT check p2p YET.  They probably will if the government can get by the health bill.

I believe the View does support FLAC.  An average adult can't tell the difference between lossless and an mp3 between 160 and 190 depending on their age.  Lossless can capture upto 40,000 kHz pitch.  A bably may be able to detect 20 kHz but by 20 you can only hear 16-18 kHz.  Because sound equipment is made for humans it does not usually create tones much above 20 kHz.  22-23 is the highest I have ever seen.  So what is the good playing 40 kHz?  You alll are just fooliing your selves.  Ipod ear buds will rreproduce tone in the 50-10,000 Hz range but you have persons claiming they can hear those 40,000 tones so they need to play lossless.  They are JACK fools.  Most of the bad rap mp3s have gotten is when they were made with junk encoders so they sound poor.

WMP is pure junk very few apps suck worse itunes and Zune come to mind.  Try Media Monkey or WinAmp to fill you player.  They have 2 very different interfaces.  I wouldn't use them to transcode if you have dbPowerAmp. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Oldtimer123 wrote:

I believe the View does support FLAC. 

From the Sansa View User Manual and General Information post:

Digital Player / Recorder

• Digital audio standards: MP3, WMA, Audible, Protected WMA (DRM)

Note, no FLAC. 

Also of interest regarding this topic:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&message.id=12533#M12533

Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

is MSC and drag and drop really the way to go?

My player crashes on occasion and i read some posts that claimed that this is because of "bad" mp3's.

That why i hesitated to use the msc mode.

To play my collection i use the foobar player because it has a nice upmixing plugin for my 7.1 System, that's why i would hesitate to install media monkey or winam (i tried both in the past)

@Oldtimer

thx for the info on poweramp, maybe i try that one out.

PS:

I don't care what the FBI does or does not do since i am from

Germany and i get my music through legal channels..... 

PPS:

I chose the view over the clip because i liked to be able to watch video podcasts.....wich is nice on my way to work. i have a 12 Minute trip on the sub wich is exactly engough to watch the morning news..... 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Nordicjan wrote:

is MSC and drag and drop really the way to go?

My player crashes on occasion and i read some posts that claimed that this is because of "bad" mp3's.

That why i hesitated to use the msc mode.

I (and many other Sansa gurus) use MSC mode exclusively. The only reason necessary for MTP mode is if you subscribe to Rhapsody or other 'rent-to-own' music services or download 'borrowed' audio books like from your library. These have DRM (Digital Rights Management) and require MTP mode to access the encrypted and time-related files.

MSC mode would have nothing to do with, nor cause crashes on your player. Bad files (or bad ID3 tags within the files) will cause crashes, regardless of USB transfer mode. Just a note . . . the only time I ever experienced file corruption was way back when I was still a little green n00bie and thought I had to use MTP mode. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I stand corrected as far as flac.  I do not ever intend to put any lossless audio on my portables.  There is no reason for that. I only have lossless on my computer.  That is where that stuff belongs.

I have all three audio managers on my computer and the earth did not crash.   Even Hydrogen Audio (the formum for foobar users) suggests using one of the two to sync.  They also give dbPowerAmp very high marks for transcoding.  Foobar will transcode but may give you artifacts if you are not careful with your versions.  

Nothing plays bad mp3s why should the Sansas?

I choose the view over the clip as well.  We have 2 clips and 2 views as well as 2 ipods and one Zune.  We all prefer the views over all the other players.  I do like the ipod MUCH better for audio books.  It is easy to alter the time index.  My View is all together terrible with that.

I have experianced problems after a drag and drop session.  That was the only technical problem I have seen with the one View in 14 months.  I have run quality test on most of my music.  The bad mp3s is not an issue when your library is free from garbage.