Highlighted

Battery life down to 30-40 minutes of music.

My 8GB + 8GBSD View (V01.01.06A) now plays only about 30-40 minutes of music before the battery gauge turns red.  Sequence of events: charge fully on computer, detach, start playing music.  After 30-40 minutes, turn off.  Couple of hours later, turn back on and battery gauge shows red.  Reconnect to computer, the "charging" lightning bolt shows for maybe five seconds, and the gauge shows solid green within a few minutes.  Repeat ad nauseum.

Looks like the non-replacable battery is shot.  So either I use the View a half-hour at a time, or use it only attached to a computer or car-power adapter, or get one of those AA-battery USB chargers and carry the works around in a bag instead of my pocket.

To me, this is the reason there have been no more firmware upgrades - the batteries in all the Views out there will fail soon enough, so why should SanDisk bother?

It'd be sporting of SanDisk to offer tradein credit for Views toward something better-designed.  But I'm sure not holding my breath.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Battery life down to 30-40 minutes of music.

The firmware you have is rather old, so maybe that is why you are having such short run time. Try updating to the last firmware 01.03.02 and see if it works any better for you.

Also, there have been many posts in the forum debating which firmware provided the longest battery life. I haven't actually bothered to pay much attention to those because all I care about is having the thing actually come close to working correctly (something it still does not do even with the last firmware release). I believe the firmware release just before, or maybe the one before that one really ran the battery down fast.

I think there was one somewhere in the middle of things that actually caused the player to run hot, which would have also been bad for the battery (because heat kills these kind of batteries). And, I think there was also one where the battery indicator did not work properly.

If I remember correctly, I think there was a big problem with firmware 01.02.09 and many people rolled back to 01.01.06. Maybe that's why you ended up with what you have. I don't remember which of those did not fully turn off the player though and if the user did not do a manual reset (hold to off for 20 seconds) it never shut down completely. Maybe that's what's going on with yours? As I said, I didn't really follow all the stuff about earlier firmware releases sine the last one (01.03.02A) seemed to be the only one worth using (for me anyway).

I don't think the batteries that SanDisk is using are bad, rather it's a combination of faulty firmware and how people use their players that may make them fail prematurely.

Also, if you have the backlight set to stay on for a long period of time, that will run the battery down much faster too.

Overall, I'm just guessing things hoping that something may help you out. I haven't ever used mine long enough to find out just how long the battery in mine really lasts. Then again, based on what I've seen posted in this forum (and over at Anythingbutipod.com), it would appear that the Sansa View really just is not a very good product. Apparently the Clip and the Fuze are the only good ones SanDisk has on the market right now (and may be the only really good ones they've ever made/sold).

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response - I had been using 1.03.02 when I first noticed the problem so rolled back to the older version to see if it would help.  It didn't.  Also tried doing a "system shutdown" (holding menu button while turning off) and that didn't help either.  Backlighthas always been set for the shortest time on.

I've been using the View in my van lately but haven't been baking it on the dash, and have been stowing it in the console bin when parked.  Certainly environmental conditions would impact battery life, but when the battery isn't replacable that issue becomes fatal to the device rather than just inconvenient.

Years ago I had a Rio One mp3 player - if its AA battery ran down too much while playing, the firmware would get corrupted and have to be reloaded.  Customers on the Rio support site were yelling about defective units and returning them.  They hadn't "broken" - rather, they were badly designed in the first place - but that distinction was meaningless to their owners.

My workaround for the Rio was to keep reloading the firmware.  My workaround for the View will be to power it externally.  Most owners may not bother doing that, instead just cussing out SanDisk and pitching the device...

Message Edited by ShortTimer on 05-11-2009 08:18 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

How long have you had the View? Also, how have you been charging it? From a computer, or from an AC adapter, or from a USB charger in your van? How long do you leave it on to charge?

Maybe we can find some other logical reason for what's going on there. Under "normal" use a lithium ion polymer battery should last somewhere up around 4 or 5 years. However, with the flakey firmware they had for the View we can not actually say it has gotten normal usage lol.

Highlighted

@miltst wrote:

Maybe we can find some other logical reason for what's going on there.

That'd be goodSmiley Happy

It has mostly been charged via computer, occasionally by the USB port in a Dynex vehicle-type FM transmitter, never by AC adapter.  Charging by computer,the lightning-bolt icon flashes for several seconds then disappears, while the bar goes to full green over the course of a minute or two.  I've left it connected that way for hours - no difference from going ahead and unplugging it.  Right now it's been connected for about 15 minutes, and after the bar went to full-green it has dropped one notch and shows some white at its left end.

Hope this info is of some use.  We have three electric bicycles and there is plenty of battery- and electronics-related discussion at places like endless-sphere.com; the problem here is that the View was made not to be repairable.  This reminds me a little of an issue I had with my bought-new 1984 Honda Civic: its timing belt broke (which bent all the valves) at 105,000 miles but the owner's manual said nothing about replacing it in routine maintenance.  Honda took the position that the lifetime of the car had been used up.  I disagreed and they wound up covering most of the repairs, and also issued an "owner's manual supplement" including timing belt replacement at intervals.  They owned up to the problem and took corrective action.  I got 488,000 miles out of that car (with various repairs of course) - a good lifetime for that product.

This may be too much to hope of SanDisk.  We'll see.  Thanks again for the troubleshooting help - be interesting to see how this turns out.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Wow, almost 500,000 miles! That's pretty good for any vehicle.

As mentioned, the expected life of a LiIon Polymer batter should be up somewhere between 4 and 5 years. Since technology changes rapidly most people would already have replaced their Sansa player with something newer (with more features) by then. So, I don't feel SanDisk is doing anything wrong with making the battery not replacable (although I think you could still replace it if you felt like tearing things apart to do so, but you would need to know what you are doing).

Others have mentioned some weird things with the charging/battery indicator not always being correct. I don't know what (if anything) they found to corect it though. Have you let it run down until it warns you it is too low to continue operating? Maybe it needs to get to that point to re-sync with the battery (I've had a laptop that had a weird problem with the battery charge indcator like that once).

If you haven't already, I'd say get back to the latest firmware, let it run down all the way, then charge it for at least 4 hours and see what happens. Otherwise, the usuall way to fix any/all problems ends up being re-formatting, upgrade the firmware (again), then have it reformat itself (again), and starting over from scratch with putting your files back onto it. Unfortunately, there's still now quarntee that will fix things because it is possible that you might just happen to have a bad battery (like any electronic component, there are some duds every now and then).

Highlighted

Well, at this point I've been through multiple cycles of charging the View as long as overnight, and the battery runs down very quickly.  Today's test was charging it a few hours, playing it for maybe 15 minutes, turning it "off" in the normal manner (getting only the "GOODBYE" message), turning it back on about 90 minutes later, and getting about 60 more seconds of play before the unit showed the big "dead battery" symbol and shut off.  That's not the first time I've seen that symbol in all this.

As for this:

Since technology changes rapidly most people would already have replaced their Sansa player with something newer (with more features) by then. So, I don't feel SanDisk is doing anything wrong with making the battery not replacable...

I would point out that some of those "more features" are things like gapless playback which SanDisk has shown no apparent interest in providing View owners through firmware upgrades, despite a chorus of pleas on this forum.  And they make more money - in theory - if folks buy their products, use them until they brick by design, then turn around and buy more.  That's not a new concept - it's called "planned obsolescence".  SanDisk might look into how well that concept has worked out for, say, General Motors.

If SanDisk is truly interested in seeing what's going on with this issue, they can do some testing themselves. Meanwhile, I will keep using my crippled View as an externally-powered home and vehicle player, and use my wife's old e260 (she got an iPhone) as a walkabout player.  IT has a replacable battery, at least.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least if SanDisk switched all of its models (well, except the SlotMusic player) to nonreplacable batteries.  Like the man said, "those who will not learn from history..."

Highlighted

An update: for the past week-plus I've been using the "system shutdown" to turn my View off, by holding the menu button down while pushing the power switch up.  This, along with charging the device frequently, has extended battery life enough that the original heading of this thread is no longer accurate.  I would guesstimate that the battery would now last a couple of hours.  We'll see if things stay that way or not.

So the device is more usable again, although the other well-known View issues still remain.  It doesn't change my intention to avoid buying a Sansa player in the future.  

Highlighted

Hey everyone. I have figured out how to replace the battery and where to get a replacement. here is the thread. I am doing testing on the new battery right now to see if it lasts as long as the original one did when I first got the player. Here is the link and URL to the thread:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34095