SanDisk User

Re: Battery Life

@Nequissime wrote:

It shouldn't only last for 1-2 hours. Try doing what GeForce recommended: firmware, brightness, standby, hold, and volume. I also noticed that the battery meter might e a little misleading, but that doesn't affect the battery life at all. If your View still is having 1-2 hours, you should try to contacy support for a new battery, because chances are you got a faulty one.

Battery meter does affect battery life, not directly, but it does not allow the View to charge at full capacity.

I like to discharge it (just sometimes, it's not good for the battery to do it every time), connect it and keep monitoring charging time, it should take at least 2-3 hours to get a charge. Avoid trasfering data in that time. If battery meter shows it's charged after a suspiciously short time, disconnect it and connect it again.
SanDisk Fanatic

A complete charge will take arround 4+ hour. While charging, avoid transfering data as it may slow down the charging progress.

[ Edited ]

It can also take a while for a battery to gain its full strength. Go through a couple of cycles of full discharge/complete recharge (and it does take at least 4 hours for a complete recharge, even though the battery meter has stopped blinking) and see if it helps. A good battery will benefit from this kind of cycling every so often, like monthly or so. With the old ni-cad and nimh, with which I am more familiar, it was a matter of breaking down crystals that would form in the solution. With lithium batteries, I gather it has something to do with re-setting the doohickey that tells it when it is discharged, which gets confused over time. Same thing is true of your cell phone battery. You don't need to do it every time; it wouldn't help, not with these lithium batteries. I am a ham radio operator and we depend on batteries a great deal for portable and emergency operations. Occasional conditioning gets the most usage out of our batteries and extends their lifetime.

Edited for greater clarity -- I mistakenly said something about lithium batteries that is true of ni-cads and nimh's, and wanted to correct it. Senior moment.

Message Edited by Mountain_Man on 07-25-2008 11:18 AM
Message Edited by Mountain_Man on 07-25-2008 11:21 AM

I like the Sansa View. but my Sansa View won't stay on for more than four hours without dying out on me. i've already returned it three times and i still have the same problem. Can you help me?
SanDisk Fanatic

@ultrahippie wrote:
I like the Sansa View. but my Sansa View won't stay on for more than four hours without dying out on me. i've already returned it three times and i still have the same problem. Can you help me?

How long did you charge the Sansa View? What was the setting of your backlight and brightness. What was your volume setting? What is your EQ setting? What content did you play? These are all the thing that can reduce your battery life.
SanDisk User

@Mountain_Man wrote:

It can also take a while for a battery to gain its full strength. Go through a couple of cycles of full discharge/complete recharge (and it does take at least 4 hours for a complete recharge, even though the battery meter has stopped blinking) and see if it helps.

In my experience, there is no more charging after the small lightning has disappeared, you can leave it connected all night long and next day it will be still partially charged. Only solution is disconnect it and then connect again. Unfortunately this not always works, sometimes it will not charge until the battery is discharged beyod certain level.

In my case, using 1.03.02 fw, after a "full" charge I can get about 18 hours playing mp3@128Kbps, with lowest brightness setting, ocassional checking to see artist/album/song name, volume "normal" and level below half level bar, EQ normal, and continuous playing.

Problem is, I'm almost never under those ideal conditions, as my mp3's are mostly 192-320 Kbps, like to change songs and albums, custom EQ, ocassional FM reception and keep turning it off and on. In actual use, I'm getting about 10-12 hours, maybe less.

I went from 30 hours to around 8 to 10 hours when I switched from the 01.01.06 firmware to the 01.03.02 firmware.  The 01.03.02 firmware has some nicer features like going back to the song in the music list that is playing but I sure miss the extra 20 hours of playtime that the 01.01.06 firmware had.

I'm going to dust off this old topic a bitSmiley Wink

I've found a solution for short battery life issue with 1.03.02 firmware on my View. First thing is that the battery life indicator is not working correctly at all-sometimes showing that battery is almost down, then jumping back to half etc. While charging my View via PC Usb it took about 1.5 hour to get it charged completely(replugging the cable didn't charge it any more) and the battery lasted for more than 10 hours. Being curious person, I've plugged my usb cable to one of those 5V AC chargers for usb devices(I got it with one of my old cheap players) and that's what happened-for the first time I've been able to see the proper charging screen with the big battery in the middle and what's most important-my player charged for about 3.5 hours this time. To check it out I've left it with songs playing over and over again and after 17 hours the battery was down for only one bar-I think it can easily last for 30 hours. Note, that I have 1.03.02 firmware, so that might be a solution for some of you who are experiancing short battery life with this firmware.

Highlighted

I too have gone to the AC charger for my View rather than using my USB and in my tests with the 1.03.02 FW my battery indicator also showed half full after approximately 20 hours. However it quickly went to one quarter at about 22 hours and died at around 24-25. This was with a full (overnight) charge, a continuous loop of mp3's at 128 kbps, volume at 50%, and screen brightness at its lowest setting (and only using that to check it every few hours).

I use the 1.03.02 FW most of the time but switch to the 01.01.06 FW when I need better battery life.

Sansa hardware is worth the bucks while Sansa firmware just plain ________ (hey, this is a family forum).

SanDisk User

Actually the new firmware is really great.. before I never got a full charge cause the meter wasn't working right. Now I charge for 1-2 hrs and get at least like 20-30hrs of battery life. Also, it doesn't crash at all anymore and the fact that it responds on first input from a blank screen (instead of two, which was annoying as hell). The bookmarks for videos are better too.