xpsp3 refuses to install Fuze in msc/Auto mode

I did a brand new os install a few weeks ago, everything pretty squeaky clean. Today, with the Fuze set to Auto, I connect it for the first time, it seems to see the Fuze, but after the “Installing USB Mass Storage Device” popup appears from the systray, the bubble just sits there for a few minutes, eventually telling me that there is a problem with my usb device.  I tried removing it from device manager, rebooted, connected in MSC mode, same thing. Removed it again, rebooted, this time connected it in MTP mode - now it installs and sees the unit and memory card fine - except of course it won’t see the Fuze primary memory data which I obviously copied onto it in MSC mode.

The data on the memory card is seen, which is weird, since I’m pretty sure I did not previously use MTP mode at all, but I guess if it was set to Auto who knows. In any case… do I need to reformat the Fuze? Even if I do (which loses the data on the Fuze) I don’t see why that would help it properly install in MSC/Auto mode if it didn’t want to from the get go.

This is a v2 fuze with the newest firmware.

Thanks, y’all.

@edison_carterii wrote:

I did a brand new os install a few weeks ago, everything pretty squeaky clean. Today, with the Fuze set to Auto, I connect it for the first time, it seems to see the Fuze, but after the “Installing USB Mass Storage Device” popup appears from the systray, the bubble just sits there for a few minutes, eventually telling me that there is a problem with my usb device.  I tried removing it from device manager, rebooted, connected in MSC mode, same thing. Removed it again, rebooted, this time connected it in MTP mode - now it installs and sees the unit and memory card fine - except of course it won’t see the Fuze primary memory data which I obviously copied onto it in MSC mode.

The data on the memory card is seen, which is weird, since I’m pretty sure I did not previously use MTP mode at all, but I guess if it was set to Auto who knows. In any case… do I need to reformat the Fuze? Even if I do (which loses the data on the Fuze) I don’t see why that would help it properly install in MSC/Auto mode if it didn’t want to from the get go.

This is a v2 fuze with the newest firmware.

Thanks, y’all.

Your probaby getting it right in your post, but it seems like you have the USB modes backwards. When you choose MSC mode, and connect it. And it doesnt work? If this is indeed the case and MTP is the only thing that works. I would format the player and Reload it. That way when you connect to the PC you can see the music that is there. But I have never heard this one.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-24-2009 12:21 AM

Nope. That’s what’s totally weird! I had read somebody else’s post where something like this happened, and they likewise could only get it to be seen properly in MTP.

I would like to format the player and reload it, but right now I’m trying to figure out how to get the music data off the thing as I think there are some tunes I do not have on my primary pc at the moment.  I suspect I am s.o.l.

Thx, tho.

If you added them in MSC mode, and MSC wont work then the only thing I would say to try is to force it in to MSC and maybe itll connect, so you can copy it over?

Yeah but force it how? I.e. - if i change the mode to MSC on the Fuze, and plug it in, it has the same problem I had intitially connecting it in Auto mode (and subsequently MSC mode). Which is: the error I described above.

In MTP mode, it seems to work fine, but only shows the data on the memory card. Which I find odd becaues I never changed it from the default setting the whole time I used it with my old XP install.

If anything I would think it wouldn’t show any data I had in the Fuze, memory card or no.

Oh well.  There’s way worse things in the universe than losing some mp3 data. ; ) 

@edison_carterii wrote:

Yeah but force it how? I.e. - if i change the mode to MSC on the Fuze, and plug it in, it has the same problem I had intitially connecting it in Auto mode (and subsequently MSC mode). Which is: the error I described above.

In MTP mode, it seems to work fine, but only shows the data on the memory card. Which I find odd becaues I never changed it from the default setting the whole time I used it with my old XP install.

If anything I would think it wouldn’t show any data I had in the Fuze, memory card or no.

Oh well.  There’s way worse things in the universe than losing some mp3 data. ; ) 

I wish everybody had that out look! You would not believe the number of people who go ballistic over having to format and reload their files. Or God forbid loose one track forever.