windows media player is converting MP3 files to WMA files before loading to Fuze -Need fix

I know that there must be just a simple click of the mouse on a check box some where but I am missing it after several searches of the Windows Media Player various menus.

There is no option for it under ‘sync’, ‘Sanza Fuze’, 'Advanced Options"

There is no option for it under ‘sync’, ‘More Options’, ‘Device’ tab, 

On my hard drive they are MP3 files on the Fuse they are WMA files. These are files I loaded with a Windows Media Player created play list.

Some of the other files, that are on my hard drive as MP3 files, that I loaded to the Fuze by drag and drop are on the Fuze as MP3 files.  These are files I loaded without any play list.

Maybe there is a conversion option somewhere that needs to be unchecked but the conversion options I saw was for video files.

@scruffyfly wrote:

I know that there must be just a simple click of the mouse on a check box some where but I am missing it after several searches of the Windows Media Player various menus.

There is no option for it under ‘sync’, ‘Sanza Fuze’, 'Advanced Options"

There is no option for it under ‘sync’, ‘More Options’, ‘Device’ tab, 

On my hard drive they are MP3 files on the Fuse they are WMA files. These are files I loaded with a Windows Media Player created play list.

Some of the other files, that are on my hard drive as MP3 files, that I loaded to the Fuze by drag and drop are on the Fuze as MP3 files.  These are files I loaded without any play list.

Maybe there is a conversion option somewhere that needs to be unchecked but the conversion options I saw was for video files.

Why don’t you just do it this way and forget about WMP (Worst Media Player)?

I don’t know if this is the switch for existing  files, but it can’t hurt to try. 

Tools/Options/Rip Music  and change Format to .mp3. Use a good bitrate, like 192 kbps or above. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

I don’t know if this is the switch for existing  files, but it can’t hurt to try. 

Tools/Options/Rip Music  and change Format to .mp3. Use a good bitrate, like 192 kbps or above. 

Thank you for the help  Black-Rectangle.  I already had that option set.  That is how I got the file off my CD onto my hard drive in MP3 format.

@tapeworm wrote:

@scruffyfly wrote:

Why don’t you just do it this way and forget about WMP (Worst Media Player)?

Yeah I had already figured to do most of my loading by drag and drop but I wanted a few CDs set up with a separate playlist so that I could always play them together to lull me to sleep. It is probably the only use for a play list I will create. I don’t understand this play list thing well yet.  From other forum threads it sounded like this was a reasonable way to go about creating a play list. At least right of the bat without loading other software.

So I gather that it is the normal thing for Windows Media Player to load the files in the wma format.  Definitely will want to look at some other utilities then.

Media Monkey and Winamp will do playlists in MSC mode without converting your mp3 files. 

You can use Media Monkey as your all-around ripper, playlister, etc. by getting the free version and substituting the lame_enc.dll you can find here(after unzipping) for the one that comes with the free Media Monkey. 

Winamp wants to charge you for an mp3 ripper, which is ridiculous, but it’s a pretty straightforward program otherwise.

I can’t believe that WMP really changes everything to .wma, but I don’t use it if I can possibly avoid it, so I don’t know where that setting might be hidden. 

@black_rectangle wrote:

Media Monkey and Winamp will do playlists in MSC mode without converting your mp3 files. 

You can use Media Monkey as your all-around ripper, playlister, etc. by getting the free version and substituting the lame_enc.dll you can find here(after unzipping) for the one that comes with the free Media Monkey. 

Winamp wants to charge you for an mp3 ripper, which is ridiculous, but it’s a pretty straightforward program otherwise.

I can’t believe that WMP really changes everything to .wma, but I don’t use it if I can possibly avoid it, so I don’t know where that setting might be hidden. 

It will if it’s not set right…but I don’t remember where that setting is, because I refuse to use it now and have done my best to forget it. I did that same trick with MediaMonkey before…works nicely.

@scruffyfly wrote:

Yeah I had already figured to do most of my loading by drag and drop but I wanted a few CDs set up with a separate playlist so that I could always play them together to lull me to sleep. It is probably the only use for a play list I will create. I don’t understand this play list thing well yet.  From other forum threads it sounded like this was a reasonable way to go about creating a play list. At least right of the bat without loading other software.

So I gather that it is the normal thing for Windows Media Player to load the files in the wma format.   Definitely will want to look at some other utilities then.

That’s the default behavior, but you can change it. With the player connected in MSC mode and WMP connected, go to Tools>Options and click on the Devices tab. Now select your Fuze and click Properties. Go to the Quality tab in the new window and uncheck “Convert music, pictures, videos and TV shows as required by this device” and click OK. Presto, WMP will leave your MP3s alone!

Wow. That’s even sneakier than WMP usually is.

“As required by this device”–yeah, right. No wonder it was hard to find. 

That is truly odd. I use WMP to rip my CD’s. It is quite willing to rip them to mp3 format, and does a pretty good job at several different bit rates. Of course, I don’t use Media Player to move the results to the Fuze, I do it manually, so I’ve never run into the auto-convert thing.

@shadowlance wrote:
That is truly odd. I use WMP to rip my CD’s. It is quite willing to rip them to mp3 format, and does a pretty good job at several different bit rates. Of course, I don’t use Media Player to move the results to the Fuze, I do it manually, so I’ve never run into the auto-convert thing.

I did not make myself concise enough.  I can rip a CD to MP3 using Media Player.  It is when I loaded the files to the Fuze via the Media Player with a Play list that they were added as wma files.  The MP3 files remained on the hard drive as MP3s.

I will have to try qwk1967’s method.  I also play to try out Media Monkey. Both will have to wait until late in the week.

dB

Message Edited by scruffyfly on 08-12-2009 05:49 AM