SanDisk User

will headphone jack connection wear out?

Will the hole in the Fuze for connecting headphones or speakers wear out because of repeated unplugging and plugging of headphones? Is using a dock with external speakers a safer bet because it connects using the bottom connection or are the Fuze headphone jacks likely to last? thank you.
Highlighted

Re: will headphone jack connection wear out?

Yes but you might be a lot older then.  Good for many insertions.  JMHO
4GB Blue Fuze, 8GB Ext Micro SD Card
SanDisk Senior User

It should be fine so long as you don't bend the connectors while they're inserted into the device.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei
SanDisk Guru

We haven't heard of any headphone jack issues with the Fuze yet, but this was the 'Achilles Heel' of the e200 series. Improperly soldered connections and no internal support for the jack anchoring it to the board or case. As a result there were (and still are) many failures and many un-happy Sansa owners. Smiley Sad

I, for one use a 'headphone extension cord' or jack that I leave plugged into the player 24/7/365. I plug & un-plug the earbud cord into that to prevent undue stress on the 'known' weakened player jack. If the extension cord wears out, I can always get another one, but if the jack in the player gives out? Not easy to fix. Some have, some haven't.

Only time will tell if SanDisk made sufficent improvements in design and manufacturing to prevent this from happening with the Fuze. I would advise caution and common sense. Smiley Wink

SanDisk Guru

@Tapeworm wrote:

We haven't heard of any headphone jack issues with the Fuze yet, but this was the 'Achilles Heel' of the e200 series. Improperly soldered connections and no internal support for the jack anchoring it to the board or case. As a result there were (and still are) many failures and many un-happy Sansa owners. Smiley Sad

I, for one use a 'headphone extension cord' or jack that I leave plugged into the player 24/7/365. I plug & un-plug the earbud cord into that to prevent undue stress on the 'known' weakened player jack. If the extension cord wears out, I can always get another one, but if the jack in the player gives out? Not easy to fix. Some have, some haven't.

Only time will tell if SanDisk made sufficent improvements in design and manufacturing to prevent this from happening with the Fuze. I would advise caution and common sense. Smiley Wink

Does this "extension cord" allow you to plug in either your wall charger, or USB cable, and remove it after? I have to remove either my headphone plug or my "line-out" cord if I want to unplug the USB....it would be very cool if you've worked around this. To the original poster, I would just say, be gentleSmiley Happy

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

I do actually have an issue with my headphone jack, but it only started after I dropped it, so I can't complain too much really. Wiggling or pressing in on the headphone jack causes the music to go silent, replaced by a click-click-click-click sound.
SanDisk Professor

The USB cord would be the reason I wouldn't have a permanent plug in mine.  Plus my docking station (which I use to charge it at home because my old, old, old laptop won't charge it) wouldn't support it, there's no room for it.

I unplug it to add music,moves, etc., to it at work using the usb cord, unplug it to use the cassette adaptor in the car and unplug it to use my docking station at home.  I've even used 4 different headphones in it (original which I don't have anymore, some I had at work, some $20 ones that aren't long enough to go around the back of my neck and $5 ones which I use all the time now [long enough cord] ).

So far no problems. 

SanDisk Guru

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

@Tapeworm wrote:

I, for one use a 'headphone extension cord' or jack that I leave plugged into the player 24/7/365.

Only time will tell if SanDisk made sufficient improvements in design and manufacturing to prevent this from happening with the Fuze. I would advise caution and common sense. Smiley Wink

Does this "extension cord" allow you to plug in either your wall charger, or USB cable, and remove it after?

Oooops . . . Busted! You caught me dozing again. Smiley Wink

I was of course, referring to my e200 series players with the extension cord (you can also use a right-angle plug from Radio Shack).

The Fuze as you correctly point out, has it's jack located on the bottom alongside an offset 30-pin connector port. This prevents the use of such an intermediary adaptor and requires constant plugging/unplugging of the earphone cord.

A bad design in the Fuze as far as I am concerned. Why would you want the jack on the bottom anyway? I certainly hope SanDisk has fixed the un-supported and un-soldered jack problem prelevant on the 'E' series, and that this is no longer the weak link in the system.

SanDisk User

I like the idea that you suggest here. WHERE can I buy this and what specifically do I ask for? We have a Radio Shack and a Walmart where I live, so if it's anything more complicated than these stores will carry, I'll buy it online. Thank you for a great suggestion!

SanDisk Guru

Sara- 

This is the one I use:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975

but this is what I was really looking for & couldn't find it at the time:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103788

Either one will save wear & tear on the player's jack. Just leave it plugged in all the time and plug/un-plug your earphone cord into it. Smiley Happy