white screen, reboot, playlists deleted....

In Windows, when you plug in a Plug and Play device, a litte icon appears in the tray on the lower right. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be a picture of, but the top part is green. (Run your cursor over the various icons to check for it.) 

You click on that and it lists connected USB devices. When you Safely Remove the device, Windows shuts it down so as not to leave stray data. 

So not Safely Removing the Sansa may have left some junk that made it crazy. 

The Fuze is also, and unfortunately,  far too selective about ID3 tags on files, and may have choked on unusual tags. It’s a good idea to use mp3tag and retag every album before moving it to the Sansa–usually takes about 15 seconds.  The instructions for setting the right defaults in mp3tag are here.

One other thing. When you upate firmware, it switches to Auto Detect or MTP Mode. You’re using Winamp, which works in MSC mode, so you need to switch that back in Settings/USB Mode after the update. That may have been why some files were invisible to your computer, which can only see one Mode at a time, MSC or MTP. 

All that said, I’ve sometimes gotten the white screen after transferring properly tagged music over.  I just shut off and restart without further problems.