what is a "go list" for

I am new to mp3 and I feel like I’ve just discovered indoor plumbing! I have a lot of what are probably stupid questions, this is only the beginning.

What happens when you add a song to a “go list” and why would I want to do that. What is the differance between that and a play list? 

mcostas wrote:

I am new to mp3 and I feel like I’ve just discovered indoor plumbing! I have a lot of what are probably stupid questions, this is only the beginning.

What happens when you add a song to a “go list” and why would I want to do that. What is the differance between that and a play list? 

This is a playlist that you can edit as you go. So if you come across a song you like and you want to hear more often you can put them on there so you can hear it.

What I do with it is, if I add a new song to my player that I would like to hear as I go to bed I add it to my go list which is the playlist I use at bed time.

In a perfectly Ideal world it would be a playlist that you could edit on the go.  

In a perfect world you could make multiple playlists on the Fuze itself. :wink:

I use my Go List for positive, uplifting music.  Then if I’m feeling down or sometimes on my way to work I listen to it.

If you wanted to you could create a go list, then create a playlist (on Media Monkey or you choice) and then create another go list of something else.

I tried out this “go list”, I had a couple songs in there, but today it was empty! Does syncing make it go away?

mcostas wrote:
I tried out this “go list”, I had a couple songs in there, but today it was empty! Does syncing make it go away?

I believe it resets whenever you plug into the computer and dis-connect, but since I don’t use it I could be mistaken.

I just checked it today and it was still there. I have hooked it up to the computer but I haven’t resynced yet.

I still don’t quite understand the differance. Why have playlists that you can’t edit on the fly? It seems like they would all fuction the same as the golist.

The go list on the Fuze isn’t a separate file. It’s embedded in the database. So if the database is recreated every time you add some files, the go-list may get zapped.

Frankly, it’s a crappy implementation of on-demand playlist. Of all the “missing” features that Rockbox fans yap about, this is one of the legitimate ones.

“Why have playlists that you can’t edit on the fly?”

My #1 complaint of the Fuze. Sansa would have to implement much more then just a playlist to make that work. You would have options like “INSERT, APPEND, ENQUE, REORDER”.

Peregrine wrote:

“Why have playlists that you can’t edit on the fly?”

My #1 complaint of the Fuze. Sansa would have to implement much more then just a playlist to make that work. You would have options like “INSERT, APPEND, ENQUE, REORDER”.

I just used the GoList on my Clip+ the other day for the first time. I took about 2 minutes, to cobble together a 30-song list to play while on a short road trip. Why make this list at all? To have songs that were agreeable to the driver , in addition to me, without having to skip tracks, or navigate the player in a moving car. It worked perfectly…I shuffled through the list, and never felt any need to add to the list, or make another one, etc, etc.

I still fail to see the need to do these things, I have to say.:wink:

I’ve used the GoList extensively since I first had my fuze in 2008.

Partially this is due to the hassle of creating and maintaining playlists.  Always seems to be some problem…and I usually want to change up my playlist frequently so I’d rather do it on the device rather than via a PC.

Originally there were 100 tunes max for GoList and this was increased to 200 in one of the updates.  Nice!

I jsut find it effortless.  Add or Delete from GoList whenever you want.  Pretty simple and effiective.

I wish there was a second GoList so you could keep an ongoing one and then have a special event GoList (for a road-trip or a party for instance).

Then it would be a playlist! A nice user friendly playlist!

“I just used the GoList on my Clip+ the other day for the first time. I took about 2 minutes, to cobble together a 30-song list to play while on a short road trip. Why make this list at all? To have songs that were agreeable to the driver , in addition to me, without having to skip tracks, or navigate the player in a moving car. It worked perfectly…I shuffled through the list, and never felt any need to add to the list, or make another one, etc, etc”

That’s how I am using my current go list. Its stuff I like the best, minus the metal and other stuff the general population might not appreciate. I am hesitant to do much changing to it though. I don’t want to get tired of my favorite songs though, so I might take a few of them out.

mcostas wrote:

I am hesitant to do much changing to it though. I don’t want to get tired of my favorite songs though, so I might take a few of them out.

There’s always ‘Play All’ and Shuffle. A playlist limited only by how many songs you have on your player & memory card combined.

You’ve obviously never had a player that did these things or you wouldn’t talk such nonsense. :wink:

Peregrine wrote:

You’ve obviously never had a player that did these things or you wouldn’t talk such nonsense. :wink:

Maybe not. But I’ve seen so much stress and aggravation in this forum and others , the last year and a half, related to playlists, that I consider myself fortunate my usage patterns don’t require them.

Remember how everyone clamored over folder browsing, and rejoiced when it was added? I couldn’t even tell you when the last time was that I used it…and all three of my players have it. I suspect these playlist features you want, would be unused on my player, just like folder browsing is.

I browse by authors, or rarely albums. This is for collabrative ones, I can find them easier.

I never browse by folders. I tried but didn’t see the advantage.

I added some songs from the radio but now don’t see where I was when I did that.  HELP!

You can’t add songs from the radio; only from the files you’ve added to the memory.