video without SMC - first success + tutorial for linux and windows

@vankan wrote:

Great tutorial! With my version of mencoder (dev-SVN-r27637-4.3-openSUSE) the mencoder command will hang indefinitely and a little spelunking has shown that that is because of the -af resample paramer. It turns out, however, that you can do away with resampling (according to the manpage it is default if needed) so taking just -af format=s16le will do the trick.

Regards, Jos.

Thanks for your feedback. The resample filter is automatically enabled upon playback only! That means for example if you try to play 48000Hz audio on a 41000Hz sound card mplayer does the necessary conversion by default. On the other hand it you encode audio to a new file - using mencoder in this case - it does apply any conversion upon request only. You see the difference?

In our case where we try to convert video/audio for the fuze it is required to create audio at 44100Hz. At least that is the only accepted value for sample rate which I know of. If the audio stream of your source video is already at 44100Hz then you are fine and could savely skip the resample filter. If the source audio is at 48000Hz then you must apply the ‘-af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le’ filter.

I’d like you to check your source videos. If you find one having audio sample rate at 48000Hz and therefore needs to be resampled you have two possibilities: The first one is coded in my current pvc.sh shell script and works with my versions of mencoder (Debian Lenny: dev-SVN-r26940, Ubuntu Jaunty:?). The second choice is to replace mencoders resample filter with the lavcresample filter ‘-af lavcresample=44100,format=s16le’. Wonder if that works better for you?

Please let me know.