[v0.6] video4fuze

Thanks, bro. This thing works great!!

I just converted a *.mkv file and while it took 20-25 mins to convert a 1.5 hr file, it does the job eventually.Thanks again!

I used the SMC prior to this…sigh. ‘■■■■■’ is the least I can describe. I just bought my fuze yesterday, and till now tried converting 20 files, and only 1 gets it right. Worse, the program hanged/crash/jam and could not exit itself. What kind of nonsense is this???

I have now uninstall all sandisk programs.

video4fuze is working great for me (Windows 7), even with my limited knowledge and no instructions that I could find (or need!).

It would be helpful to know which video formats are recommended or work best for conversion (if known). I have been successful converting several different formats that were created by TiVo Desktop “for portable devices” (ie. my smartphone).

The steps I’m using:

1. Transfer HD video from Tivo to PC wirelessly using Tivo Desktop

2. Using Tivo Desktop, convert video “for portable devices” using Tivo desktop (tried several formats options, namely “MPEG-4”, “H.264”, “VGA” and “Palm Pre” - all work on my Palm Pre)

3. Using video4fuze, convert files from step 2 for use on Fuze. They all work great except the VGA format, which is clearly much worse than the others.

Thanks so much for your hard work! Now I have Curious George on both my Fuze and my phone, so I can trade with my 20-month old son when I need one device or the other!

You rock!!!

Canakite wrote:

Now I have Curious George on both my Fuze and my phone, so I can trade with my 20-month old son when I need one device or the other!

No, this is scary! :stuck_out_tongue:

Canakite wrote:

Now I have Curious George on both my Fuze and my phone, so I can trade with my 20-month old son when I need one device or the other!

Now, this is scary! :stuck_out_tongue:

vedio4fuze works great on my ubuntu 9.10 desktop. converted an avi and loaded to my fuze, perfect! 

This is a great program!

I’ve finally managed to make my Fuze display album art! :expressionless: I guess the JPGs were too big or something, I dunno.

However I’ve noticed that it gives me an error when I try to convert a file which has non-ASCII characters in its filename. I’m using WinXP 64-bit SP2.

version 0.6 is out!

This program works great for me. I’m using Vista SP2. I’ve only converted a couple of small vids so far (3-4 minutes long), but I was able to convert the mp4 videos that the Sansa Media Converter 2 program wouldn’t touch with no problem.

I do get the error message everytime I use the program, although there’s no problem with the videos playing.

Font config error: cannot load default config file

Thanks!

@canaws wrote:

This program works great for me. I’m using Vista SP2. I’ve only converted a couple of small vids so far (3-4 minutes long), but I was able to convert the mp4 videos that the Sansa Media Converter 2 program wouldn’t touch with no problem.

I do get the error message everytime I use the program, although there’s no problem with the videos playing.

Thanks!

That’s a really weird error, and even weirder if you’re using windows. (a quick google search shows that it’s something related to a missing font.conf files for a X server…) 

@ssorgatem wrote:
version 0.6 is out!

The deb package depends on python-qt4 (>= 4.5), while debian lenny has only 4.4.2-4. I installed it with the --force-all switch and it seems to work fine. However, aptitude now gives me a warning on video4fuze and its dependencys on every upgrade.

Is there a reason, why v4f depends on  python-qt4 (>= 4.5)? If not, could change it to the old value?

struct

somewhere between 0.5 and 0.6 it stopped working in qt =< 4.4, but I may have reverted something that broke it on qt 4.4… It definitely won’t work in qt 4.3, that’s for sure.

If the aptitude warnings annoy you, youc an also repackage it: 

• extract the deb package with your favourite archiver and you’ll have a folder probably named “video4fuze-0.6_all” with two subfolders:  DEBIAN and usr.

• edit the file DEBIAN/control, and change “python-qt4 (>=4.5)” to “python-qt4”.

• Now, from the directory where you extracted the deb, do (assuming the folders “DEBIAN” and “usr” are inside “video4fuze-0.6_all”)

“dpkg --build video4fuze-0.6_all/ video4fuze-0.6+lessqt4depends_all.deb”

And now you’ll have a new deb package, “video4fuze-0.6+lessqt4depends_all.deb”, which is exactly the same but wich won’t annoy you with warnings in aptitude. 

@ssorgatem wrote:

And now you’ll have a new deb package, “video4fuze-0.6+lessqt4depends_all.deb”, which is exactly the same but wich won’t annoy you with warnings in aptitude. 

That was easy. Thanks a lot.

struct

@ssorgatem wrote:

@canaws wrote:

Thanks!

That’s a really weird error, and even weirder if you’re using windows. (a quick google search shows that it’s something related to a missing font.conf files for a X server…) 

Huh. That’s weird. It shows up in the cmd box that pops up during conversion. It doesn’t seem to effect anything though, so I’ll just ignore it.

This program won’t damage my computer, will it? I used the Sansa Media Converter on my laptop before and it worked great for a while, but after a few days of having it installed, my laptop froze up and I had to shut it down with the power button; now it only works in Safe Mode. The other computer, which has a good anti-virus program on it, said the SMC is a virus. But Video4Fuze is safe, right?

Message Edited by shrinkingviolet on 05-25-2010 02:55 PM

Honestly, shrinkingviolet, it sounds to me like you have a problem with your computer—some computers have hardware flaws that manifest only when you do intensive stuff like video, leading to freezes or shutdowns.  I had a laptop like that several years ago, actually.  Needed to get it fixed.

@shrinkingviolet wrote:
This program won’t damage my computer, will it? I used the Sansa Media Converter on my laptop before and it worked great for a while, but after a few days of having it installed, my laptop froze up and I had to shut it down with the power button; now it only works in Safe Mode. The other computer, which has a good anti-virus program on it, said the SMC is a virus. But Video4Fuze is safe, right?
Message Edited by shrinkingviolet on 05-25-2010 02:55 PM

I think someone would have complained about it if that would happen…

Yeah, I know SMC is evil and all that stuff, but I don’t thinkthat it actually damaged your computer… most likely, you got a virus in your computer by other means, which could then have infected SMC and also thrashed windows’ files…

Anyways, video4fuze is opensource, that means everyone can look at it’s source code and see what it exactly does,  and if it were dangerous or malicious, someone would have spotted it out and alerted averyone. So yes, you can consider it a lot safer than SMC or even your OS.

Well, I just think SMC is the cause of the problem since my desktop computer said there was a virus detected when I tried to install it there. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Do I need to download everything on the page linked to for it to work? I did, but whenever I click on any of them that aren’t the installer or the program (which is already installed on my computer), it says “Windows cannot open this file.” I’m using Windows Vista - is it supposed to work on that? Or am I just doing something wrong? I tried the software out and the video doesn’t show up on my player.

EDIT: Never mind - I just realized that the software doesn’t transfer the video to the player, so I need to copy and paste it myself. That’s why it didn’t show up. All right, I get it now. Thanks! It works!

Message Edited by shrinkingviolet on 05-25-2010 06:04 PM

@shrinkingviolet wrote:

Well, I just think SMC is the cause of the problem since my desktop computer said there was a virus detected when I tried to install it there. Anyway, thanks for the info!

One more question: Do I need to download everything listed on the page you linked to for it to work?

If you’re using windows, the installer contains everything it needs to run (that’s why it’s 17Mb when the other versions are less than 1Mb.

Download it, double-click on it, next, next, next, next and that’s it. 

I was able to use this just fine before the upgrade.  I even uninstalled and started over.  Now, I get all sorts of errors and warnings. 

error in mencoder:

can’t open files

device inaccessible

warning mv not available

cannot load default config

I also get a pop-up error message that says there is an error in the mencoder and documents and settings.  It’s rather long and I couldn’t copy/paste it.

I’m not computer savvy, but I was able to get this to work beautifully last month.  I’m now a bit stuck and don’t understand all of the techy talk.  Please explain what I’m doing wrong, or if I missed something.

Mmm strange. Have you tested the portable version? (the download which is for windows but isn’t a installer: it’s an archive containing video4fuze, and you can extract it whereever you want and run video4fuze from there, whithout installing)

If it doesn’t work, erase  your video4fuze configuration file. Where it is? well, it depends on your OS… “$HOME/.config/ssorgatem productions/video4fuze.ini” in decent OSes, otherwise it’s somewhere under C:/Users/yourusername/Appdata or C:/Documents and settings/yourusername/ [google for the folder where application configuration is saved in your OS]