[v0.4.1]video4fuze [Outdated]

Hi

The program works well after installation, i only have one problem.

The video after the convertion, plays in mono sound instead of stereo. I had the same problem with SMC. The original videos that i add to the converter are stereo, but for some reason the output is mono.

Any suggestions or solutions to this problem?

Thanks, 

Nick

ssorgatem, you are the MAN! (or WOMAN, if that’s the case :smiley: ) As a Ubunta/Fuze user, this has been killing me! I downloaded your app, tried it, and it worked like a charm. You made my day!

earthcrosser wrote:

I have also experimented a bit with different number-of-frames-per-index settings in AVIMux GUI. Sometimes a value lower than 4000 prevents the seek crashes, but sometimes not, and sometimes a lower value also causes the video to appear shorter on the fuze with the end cut off. Apparently this depends on the source video.

I think the problem is that AVIMux can’t create the OpenDML indexes in the same way SMC does. SMC inserts index chunks before the frame chunks that are referenced in it (the first two chunks in the movi list are video and audio index chunks), and each index chunk has exactly 4000 entries. AVIMux creates the indexes later in the file, with backward references. And the video index chunks have only roughly the 4000 entries you set. The audio index chunks are inserted together with the video index chunks, which means they have only half as much entries.

Even videos encoded using SMC and then remuxed using AVIMux cause seek crashes, which means there is definitely something wrong with the container format AVIMux creates, and not (or at least not only) with mencoder’s mpeg-4 encoding.

I’m trying to write a new remuxer now, but i don’t have much time for this next week so it might take a while. Or does anyone know an AVI muxer that gives you more control over where and how the OpenDML indexes are created?

Message Edited by earthcrosser on 02-15-2010 12:41 AM

earthcrosser:

Wow- this is the first post I have seen that specifically addresses video4fuze output vs. SMC output.  I am no expert at video technology but if there’s ANYTHING I can do to help, I will.

I always get video crashes when using video4fuze for the longer shows I convert.  Otherwise I would consider video4fuze the full solution.

Message Edited by noleks on 02-22-2010 12:21 PM

Here is my little remuxer: http://code.google.com/p/fuzemux/

This should produce exactly the same container format as SMC does. I have tested it with a few videos and didn’t notice any problems during seeking so far, and running it over a video already converted using SMC seems to produce exactly the bitwise-same file (except for the info tag and the the legacy index which it doesn’t create)

It doesn’t encode the video of course, i.e. the input file already has to be encoded using mencoder or similar with the correct setting. I have written a small Windows batch file that does the complete conversion (calling mencoder first and then fuzemux), or it would have to be integrated in video4fuze as a replacement for AVI-Mux GUI.

Praise the Lord!  I finally was able to get movies on the fuze!!!  Thanks to all you kind people who took your time to explain and walk me through the process.  I have been able to get 5 full length movies on the Fuze (4 on a card and 1 on the actual sansa player).  I am still not confident, but I’ll keep at- now my daughter thinks it’s so easy for me so she has a running list of what she wants now!  Some disney movies don’t rip and I  had two other movies on the player in French!  I guess my daughter can learn french, unless someone knows how to fix this!  Anyway, many many thanks again to all of you!  God bless you all

Most gratefully yours- momz

Great persistence with this, now you are a full-fledged Geek to your daughter, doesn’t get much better than that!!

Language options should be in your ripper settings as you set up the rip…

Congrats!

@earthcrosser wrote:

This should produce exactly the same container format as SMC does. I have tested it with a few videos and didn’t notice any problems during seeking so far, and running it over a video already converted using SMC seems to produce exactly the bitwise-same file (except for the info tag and the the legacy index which it doesn’t create)

It doesn’t encode the video of course, i.e. the input file already has to be encoded using mencoder or similar with the correct setting. I have written a small Windows batch file that does the complete conversion (calling mencoder first and then fuzemux), or it would have to be integrated in video4fuze as a replacement for AVI-Mux GUI.

This is great! Just downloaded/compiled the code and run it on one file. Seems to work. However, I didnt had the time to test it on the fuze. Did anyone else test this? Any problems found yet?

I think the next step should be to integrate fuzemux in vide04fuze and remove the winmuxer. I tried this myself but as I my knowledge of python is very limited I did not succeed. However, in principle, it should be very simple.

ssorgatem, what do you think about this?

struct

I tried earthcrosser’s remuxer, and it worked for me.  Played fine on the fuze, and I could fast-forward to my heart’s content.

Thanks!

@earthcrosser wrote:

Mmm it looks promising :slight_smile:

Certainly, video4fuze should replace avimux GUI with it.  Unfortunately, i don’t have time enough to spend on video4fuze :frowning: .

However, I might make an effort now that i video4fuze can get  rid of the wine dependency.

@struct: Yes it shouldn’t be much of a hassle, just drop about half the code of fuze.py lol.

I might even make python bindings for fuzemux… xD

I can see not depending on WINE. But wine…a nice red with dinner…that’s the kind of dependency that makes life good.

@black_rectangle wrote:
I can see not depending on WINE. But wine…a nice red with dinner…that’s the kind of dependency that makes life good.

From Wine’s FAQ:

1. General questions

1.1. Why do some people write WINE and not Wine?

They are using the acronym “Wine Is Not an Emulator”, the original name for the project. While recursive acronyms are clever, there really is no point to the capital letters. They look ugly, so please use the simpler, current name of the project: Wine. It’s what we use.

PD: Wine is OK, but I prefer homemade sangria :wink:

Thank you very much indeed earthcrosser.  That is the absolutely ideal solution.  I just compiled fuzemux on my Debian 32-bit desktop, made a mencoder bashscript which runs the mencoder written avi through fuzemux…transferred the result onto my v2 Fuze: perfectperfect audio sync, seeking.  Wow!  Now I can batch convert multiple videos, do it in a screen session, run the conversion on a remote/headless machine…no more wine or w32 apps.  Great work, and much appreciated.

@ssorgatem wrote:
@struct: Yes it shouldn’t be much of a hassle, just drop about half the code of fuze.py lol.

I dont think I undertood the complete python code but it wasnt that difficult to find out, where the  winavimux code is and to add a call to fuzemux instead. The code is ugly now, but it works (for linux, didn’t try windows).

So, if someone wants to try, just install the fuzemux on your system (must be in a directory, where PATH points to), install the latest version of video4fuze and then exchange the original fuze.py (from video4fuze) againts this one:

download modified fuze.py

struct.

Message Edited by struct on 03-03-2010 11:24 AM

@struct wrote:

@ssorgatem wrote:

I dont think I undertood the complete python code but it wasnt that difficult to find out, where the  winavimux code is and to add a call to fuzemux instead. The code is ugly now, but it works (for linux, didn’t try windows).

So, if someone wants to try, just install the fuzemux on your system (must be in a directory, where PATH points to), install the latest version of video4fuze and then exchange the original fuze.py (from video4fuze) againts this one:

download modified fuze.py

struct.

Message Edited by struct on 03-03-2010 11:24 AM

Hi Struct:

I tried downloading the bz2 package and installing on my XP box.  I additionally installed the following:

python-2.6.4.msi

PyQt-Py2.6-gpl-4.7-1.exe

PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.exe

The initial gui window comes up but no dialog when I click on “add files”.

Also, I cannot get this to run from the command line per the video4fuze README.txt

I added C:\Program Files\video4fuze to $PATH so that this source install could use the windows binary install of mencoder, ffmpeg, etc. that was there.

I wonder, rather than debug this hack, could someone (ssorgatem?) build a version using struct’s modifications, and I could test it out?

Thanks,

noleks

@noleks wrote:

Hi Struct:

I tried downloading the bz2 package and installing on my XP box.  I additionally installed the following:

python-2.6.4.msi

PyQt-Py2.6-gpl-4.7-1.exe

PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6.exe

The initial gui window comes up but no dialog when I click on “add files”.

Also, I cannot get this to run from the command line per the video4fuze README.txt

I added C:\Program Files\video4fuze to $PATH so that this source install could use the windows binary install of mencoder, ffmpeg, etc. that was there.

I wonder, rather than debug this hack, could someone (ssorgatem?) build a version using struct’s modifications, and I could test it out?

Thanks,

noleks

Did video4fuze work, before you exchanged fuze.py? As I did not modify the gui at all, I think the problem you report is caused by the video4fuze installation, not by the hack.

struct

please  i need to download the sansa median converter can you please help and send me an url where i can download it please and also my sansa e200 screen just went blank what do i do please email me at jiyanam@yahoo.com i would really be greatfull, i have an XPS dell with vista ultimate on it.

thanks

joseph

Thanks for the program but alas this doesn’t work either. It does it think and appears to work but both the video fails SMC and it gets “unsupported” when put on my fuze 2GB. Any idea as to why this could be? The program seems ■■■■■ proof so I left everything as default.

Please note this failed both my Fuze + my SDHC card in my fuze.

Message Edited by Therian86 on 03-04-2010 11:59 AM

is there any FPS i can use other than 20 ?? cause a lot of my videos are 23.976 fps which are pulled down from 29.97 (something about 3:2 and ivtc), just wondering if theres a pulldown from 23.976 so my videos wont look choppy a certain times…

The Fuze’s firmware is locked to 20 FPS. All current converters use simple frame decimation to get to the target framerate. You can always devise your own custom “pull down” scheme, depending on your video processing knowledge. In AviSynth, you can use TIVTC or Decomb. You can probably set up something similar in mencoder (the encoder used in these 3rd-party converters), the syntax is probably convoluted, since it’s CLI-based.

I thought about doing this, to smooth out the jerky pans, but it gets complicated, as you’d need to have three different schemes: NTSC 29.97, PAL 25.00, and Film 23.976. Meaning that the user have to know the source’s framerate (unlikely), or you have code to detect that and then auto-select the correct scheme.

Frankly, for the Fuze’s small screen, jerky pan is only a slight annoyance. As the saying goes, the question isn’t how well the dog can sing, but that it can sing at all.