[v0.4.1]video4fuze [Outdated]

Still haven’t had any luck- can anyone help, please?  I’ve looked all over this forum and I’ve tried to piece together information but I am no where closer to converting video to my daughter’s 4gb Fuze using windows vista. It’s now been two months of trying with no success.  HELP PLEASE!!!

I use a 2 step conversion process - I convert the video to a format recognized by either Sansa Media Convert or video4fuze, then I use SMC or video4fuze to convert to a format recognized by the fuze.  For the first step, I use either anyvideoconverter (AVC free version) or a DVD ripper (I forget which one but it cost me $20) to convert to an AVI or MP4 format.  AVC does a great job of converting free videos and my DVD ripper does great with movies I own (not blu-ray of course).  For short videos (e.g. youtube), AVC/SMC is my go-to combo because it’s easy.  For longer videos, I use the DVD ripper and video4fuze because SMC has issues with keeping sync between the audio and the video on long movies.  video4fuze only produces files so there’s the extra step of getting the file onto the fuze if I use video4fuze.

Lots of settings for the actual video conversion will work but if you need one detailed example, post back and I’ll post a combo that works.  Indicate if you’re doing youtube, DVD, or something else.

Message Edited by Rob22315 on 01-27-2010 02:43 PM

What exactly is your problem? Explain in detail…

ok i figured out how to do this, at least with these programs and OS, i followed mostly this tutorial but did some modifying:

first i used mediacoder 7.2.4550 + the latest  avimux-gui 1.17.8 (ran in winxp sp2 compatability with vista)

you can get the version of mediacoder here and avimux here

for the video settings i changed some things like a 2pass encoding and used mp3 instead of aac, also the video aspect …download the preset here

so basically install mediacoder and then load this preset and add some video files… then just click start… 

then open up avimux-gui and  change the settings to this:

drag and drop the videos that mediacoder converted, then just highlight the video,press generate data source from files, then click start…

thats pretty much it, just drag the finished video to the fuze video folder and thats about it…

you can also make some changes to the video settings if you want to: 

if maybe you have a slow pc you can always change the encoder settings to constant bitrate if you just want it to encode the video 1 times, but the file sizes might come out a little bit bigger, also you can change the video bitrate if you want smaller files, i tried making the bitrate smaller for videos with a lot of bright colors and lots of movement but that doesnt seem to stop the fuze from laggin a bit:

for the video ratio i made it so the whole video will fit and include letterbars so it wont look streched, you can change the settings to make it stretched or letterbox it so you get the whole screen with picture… you can do whatever you want:

i havent tried these other video settings so i dont know if theyll work but you always try em, also i have no idea how make thumbnails on either the videos or music, so dont expect any :frowning:

Thank you for responding to my plea for help!  I am starting from scratch- I know nothing regarding this little 4gb beauty.  I am not computer savvy nor do I speak computerese.  I have a 4 gb Fuze and my operating system is windows vista, I want to put full length movies on this Sansa for my daughter.  We have purchased dvd movies with digital copies and I have had no success trying to follow the info here, I’ve also read that I should be able to use dvd’s we own to transfer on to the Fuze-again no success.  I would appreciate if someone could start from square one (literally-like, plug in your Fuze and click on…etc) and walk me thru the how to’s.  Again, thank you so much- you kind souls who have responded (without sarcasm or in a demeaning manner) I truly appreciate you! Momz   

Message Edited by momz on 01-27-2010 08:02 PM

Great, I successfully convert MP4 to my sansa

The converter is easy-to-use.

Great work.

I downloaded the AVI-MUX suggested and then when I tried to open it, my computer totally freaked out!  The screen started to flash in and out as if multiple windows were trying to come up and at the top it would say windows not responding and the only way it would stop is by completely turning off my computer by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.  I tried to delete the files ( I downloaded several things from that avi- site because I didn’t know what I was actually supposed to pick) and then re- downloaded them and the same thing is happening!  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you!  Momz(windows vista-4gb Fuze-no computer skills-trying to get full length movies on the Fuze- have tried SMC, video4fuze, and now trying avs)

Use either video4fuze or SMC for the final conversion.  Much simpler and reliable.  What problems did you have with those?  I’ll try to post the settings I’ve used in both steps of the process later this evening so you can try them again.  Since you’re doing full length movies, you will want to use a ripper and video4fuze.

I did my rip to a format as close to what the Fuze is speced to accept (320x240 mpeg3 20fps video with aac audio at 160kbps sampled at 44.1khz).  If those track at all with what you’re seen in the entry screens for your ripper, try those.  Take the output file from the ripper and run it through video4fuze.  That should run on your Fuze.

Message Edited by Rob22315 on 01-28-2010 01:05 PM

Message Edited by Rob22315 on 01-28-2010 01:11 PM

momz, this needs to be a 2 step process… You need to 1st rip the DVD using ripping software such as WinX DVD Ripper or other dedicated ripping software, saving in a format subsequent software requires such as avi format. The saved avi file can then be processed using the Video4fuse to generate a file the Sansa Fuze understands…

Message Edited by Bucko on 01-28-2010 04:43 PM

Yes, thanks.  WinX DVD is the ripper I use.  Apply the settings I just posted to Win X DVD ripper or your own DVD ripper.  Take that output file and run it through video4fuze and you should have a file which plays on your Fuze.  Transfer it from your computer to the Fuze using windows explorer (which means your Fuze should be in MSC mode).  Let us know which portion of this either doesn’t work or you need more details on.

So do I need to purchase this download (winX dvd ripper)?  There is a free download- but I tried a disc and it said that I needed to buy the platinum edition.  I’m not sure?  Please, (if you can make some time) give me step by step detailed instructions on what and how to do it (starting from point A).  Again, thank you so much for helping me, I was just about to give up… but my daughter hasn’t lost confidence, so I guess I shouldn’t either!  Thanks- Momz

Though this may not help at all, dvdfab or dvdfad (not exactly sure what the name is) is a great program my mom uses to rip her dvds. I’m not sure where you can download it but i know its free. Theres plenty of dvdrippers available on the internet. Just make sure that the you use video4fuze in the finally conversion. By the way, does anyone know if video4fuze can convert .rmvb files?

What file format is the video your trying to convert? Another program i recommend is alltoavi. It literally converts any video format (that i know of -_-') to avi so that you can then use video4fuze

Momz–

Don’t buy a video converter. There are lots of free ones. 

@nameee wrote:

ok i figured out how to do this, at least with these programs and OS, i followed mostly this tutorial but did some modifying:

first i used mediacoder 7.2.4550 + the latest  avimux-gui 1.17.8 (ran in winxp sp2 compatability with vista)

you can get the version of mediacoder here and avimux here

for the video settings i changed some things like a 2pass encoding and used mp3 instead of aac, also the video aspect …download the preset here

so basically install mediacoder and then load this preset and add some video files… then just click start… 

then open up avimux-gui and  change the settings to this:

drag and drop the videos that mediacoder converted, then just highlight the video,press generate data source from files, then click start…

thats pretty much it, just drag the finished video to the fuze video folder and thats about it…

you can also make some changes to the video settings if you want to: 

if maybe you have a slow pc you can always change the encoder settings to constant bitrate if you just want it to encode the video 1 times, but the file sizes might come out a little bit bigger, also you can change the video bitrate if you want smaller files, i tried making the bitrate smaller for videos with a lot of bright colors and lots of movement but that doesnt seem to stop the fuze from laggin a bit:

for the video ratio i made it so the whole video will fit and include letterbars so it wont look streched, you can change the settings to make it stretched or letterbox it so you get the whole screen with picture… you can do whatever you want:

i havent tried these other video settings so i dont know if theyll work but you always try em, also i have no idea how make thumbnails on either the videos or music, so dont expect any :frowning:

i made a video tutorial for this post

Whoa… this is getting kinda exciting…

momz,

You can accomplish this with the free WinX DVD Ripper software, don’t know why this seemed to appear otherwise…  see  http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/   

Use the Free Download Tab about halfway down the page, right next to the User Guide Tab which gives basic instructions on how to use.

You can also Google topics such as best free DVD Rippers, DVD ripper tutorials, DVD Ripper wiki to obtain more general info about DVD ripping operations and software options…

Message Edited by Bucko on 01-29-2010 12:17 PM

Thank you all so much!  Although I haven’t been able to successfully convert a dvd and transfer it to the Fuze, I am sure in time I’ll get it!  I am having trouble finding a dvd in our collection that is not encrypted (when I place a dvd in the computer the WinX dvd ripper says that the free edition does not support this encrypted disc, for that I must upgrade to Platinum)- is there a way around this or is there some kind of notation on the disc that I should be looking for?  Again, I appreciate all of you who have taken your time to explain and show me how to do this.  I won’t give up!  The more information shared, the better!  With my utmost gratitude- Momz

I haven’t run into this issue although admittedly I rip very little video for such a tiny screen as the Fuze, mostly I wanted to learn the process.

From what you have said it appears that one option would be the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum upgrade (assuming this works for you) or choose different free DVD ripper software. Getting the DVD video converted and installed on any of the media players (not just the Fuze) does require this initial ripping process so you have to discover the tools to make this work for the DVD sources that interest you.

Here’s more of a step by step using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.  Start WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.  Put a DVD in your computer’s CD/DVD drive (close any extra windows like WMP or windows explorer that come up).  In WinX, click on ‘DVD Disk’ to load the disk into the ripper.  Sometimes WinX will recognize the DVD without you doing anything, especially if you put the DVD into your computer after you’ve launched WinX.  To the right of the little viewing screen in WinX, select the ‘Title’ you want to rip in the title column.  Hint, it’s usually the longest title on the DVD, WinX should find the right one. Just below that but still to the right of the screen, select the Output Folder for where you want to put the ripped video file so you can find it later.  WinX will name the file based on the Title you selected in the previous step.  Below the little screen in WinX, click on the ‘To MP4’ tab and enter the following settings:

Audio Quality: 128

Audio Sample Rate: 44100

Volume: + 2 db

Format: aac

Video quality: 700 Kbps

Video Frame Rate: 23.97

Format: MPEG4

Output Image Setting: Custom Size and Keep Aspect Ratio

Video Resolution 320:240

Click ‘Start’  Another window should open indicating WinX is ripping.  Once it’s done, the main folder should open.  Click on the appropriate subfolder and find the new file WinX just created.  The file name should look something like the name of the title you ripped.

Open video4fuze.  Click on ‘Add Files…’ and locate your ripped video file from the location you entered in one of the above steps, a double click should add it to the list in video4fuze.  Click on the ‘Select output folder’ in the next button, locate the folder where you want to put the Fuze video file and click OK. Press the ‘Convert’ button below the picture of the Fuze and wait.  video4fuze will open a couple of windows while it’s doing it’s thing, some of them will say ‘skipping frame’ over and over again.  Ignore all of those.  Once video4fuze is done, you should be able to find a file with the same name of the video you want converted except ‘_fuze’ has been added to the file name.  Drag/drop or otherwise relocate this file to your fuze and it should play.