well, not always

its not perfect but it works

@smartinez281 wrote:
That code still makes my video freeze

what length is it?

long ones tend to freeze sometimes

@smartinez281 wrote:
That code still makes my video freeze

What do you mean exactly? Did the conversion run without error? Does the fuze start the video at all? Are you seeking forward/backward within the video and suddenly the video stops and the fuze freezes? Or …

It would be helpful for debugging purposes if you could copy your actual mencoder command lines here. There are several code snippets already on this thread and things could easily get confused.

Im sorry for the late response

The video freezes after I FF after a while

I already posted the video in earlier posts in this thread along with the rest of the details. I cant upload now :wink:

@smartinez281 wrote:

Im sorry for the late response

The video freezes after I FF after a while

I already posted the video in earlier posts in this thread along with the rest of the details. I cant upload now :wink:

Now I understand your problem. I have reported about the FF issue in this message. Does it fit into your observations? Can you do the fast-forward in the way I described under point 1 (a sequence of button presses instead of press-and-hold)?

I did a full instal of the current version on my machine (Vista 32, SP2) and when the install completed, it asked if I wanted to view the readme and launch the program.  I said yes, and tried to use it.

I tried a variety of source files (non-encrypted VOB, AVI, M4V that work on Ipod and Zune), and they all fail spectacularly.  The DOS window spits out a constant stream of errors, beginning with a list of complaints about aspect ratio, codec, and some other stuff I think fonts and so on), and then it starts going through the file, typing out an error line for each and every frame (until I abort it).

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

I can usually have a measure of success using the “236” edtion of the SMC – I have found that unless I first make an intermediate AVI file, and then feed that to the SMC, it will usually fail, usually by only converting part of the file, but not generting any errors.

Even when I do use an AVI intermediate file, it’s still flakey – it will sometimes convert to a very tiny image, which when I examine the file info, turns out to be the pixel dimensions of the c200 series, which do NOT do video (unless under Roclbox).  Sometimes I can get it to work by using the slider buttons that set start/end points, but putting them at the very edges, so that the whole file is used.  It’s just a flakey program, so I’d really like to be able to usevideo4fuze, especially since Rockbox is not released for the Fuze (I don’t want to risk my Fuze to the beta version).

Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

What you see in the console window is that video4fuze is dropping frames from your source video in order to make it have the adequate framerate. It’s what is expected to happen.

Have you tried the conversion without aborting it?

Thank’s to the people who were involved in making this software.I am very delighted now that I can put video’s into my fuze without any hesitation.

The changelog say’s that it create’s thumbnail’s of the video.I am using version 0.4.1 of this software with Window’s XP SP2.And it work’s great but I cannot see the thumbnail’s on the fuze.Am I doing something wrong here.

Thank’s

@sr_rox wrote:

Thank’s to the people who were involved in making this software.I am very delighted now that I can put video’s into my fuze without any hesitation.

The changelog say’s that it create’s thumbnail’s of the video.I am using version 0.4.1 of this software with Window’s XP SP2.And it work’s great but I cannot see the thumbnail’s on the fuze.Am I doing something wrong here.

Thank’s

Oh, thank you for using video4fuze :slight_smile:

First of all, are you converting directly  into the fuze? If not, you’ll need to put the .thm file generated in the same folder as the conmverted video in the fuze.

If you can’t see any .thm file anywhere, you aren’t doing anything wrong, I think. I have the same issue on  my windows XP SP3 box,  but I can’t reproduce it anywhere (i’ve tried other windows boxes , SP3, SP2, and even wine, but it has worked on all of them…), and I have no clue about why it doesn’t make the thumbnail…

Now I see it’s (probably) not only a issue of my (a litle trashed) windows box,  so i’ll try to find out why it isn’t working in some rare cases.

D’oh, windows environements are supposed to be more or less homogeneus (compared to *nix), so I didn’t expect an issue of this kind to happen on that platform. Anyways, thumbnail generation isn’t a critical issue.

Hi,

What would be command line addition and can it be placed anywhere within the command line?

I would like to be able to raise the volume level of a conversion since some of my original recordings have a lower than normal volume.

Thanks,

Bryan

You need to add the volume option to mencoders audio filter chain (starting with -af). In order to increase the volume by e.g. 15dB the audio filter would have to look like this:

mencoder ... -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le,volume=15 ...

Hope it works in your case. For a more detailed description of mencoder options please consult the manual.

Hi,

I did what you showed below and I get this error :

returned non-zero exit status 1.

I do not get this error without the volume added. Here is the line as I copied into for phase 1 and phase 2.

I also tried adding to just phase 1 or 2 only and get error. Wanst sure if I should add to both so I tried both first :slight_smile:

-af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le, volume=15 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

One other question is there a way to have it deafult to  a folder where to add files from, and also default to where destination folder is. So it does not have to be chosen each time unless of course you want to change it? Might be good to add to preferences maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Great Program!

ewelot wrote:

You need to add the volume option to mencoders audio filter chain (starting with -af). In order to increase the volume by e.g. 15dB the audio filter would have to look like this:

mencoder … -af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le,volume=15 …

Hope it works in your case. For a more detailed description of mencoder options please consult the manual.

@trapperjohn wrote:

Hi,

I do not get this error without the volume added. Here is the line as I copied into for phase 1 and phase 2.

I also tried adding to just phase 1 or 2 only and get error. Wanst sure if I should add to both so I tried both first :slight_smile:

-af resample=44100:0:1,format=s16le, volume=15 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128

If I read your command line correctly, than there seems to be a space just before the volume option. You must avoid spaces within the audio filter chain! Otherwise mencoder would assume “volume=15” is an input file name and will abort as it cannot find a file of that name. I encourage you to try again with the correct volume option added on both mencoder commands.

Just wanted to say: awesome! I had pretty much given up on putting videos on my son’s fuze months ago.

I came back here to check up on firmware updates and found video4fuze.

I tried converting one video so far and it works great (running fedora 11 here).

Huge thanks!

@ewelot wrote:

@trapperjohn wrote:

Hi,

If I read your command line correctly, than there seems to be a space just before the volume option. You must avoid spaces within the audio filter chain! Otherwise mencoder would assume “volume=15” is an input file name and will abort as it cannot find a file of that name. I encourage you to try again with the correct volume option added on both mencoder commands.

Hi!

You were correct I had a space there removed it and it works perfectly! Awesome!

One other question is there a way to have it default to a folder where to add files from, and also default to where destination folder would be.

So it does not have to be chosen each time unless of course you want to change it? Might be good to add to preferences maybe?

Thanks for your help!

Great Program!

trapperjohn wrote: 

One other question is there a way to have it default to a folder where to add files from, and also default to where destination folder would be.

So it does not have to be chosen each time unless of course you want to change it? Might be good to add to preferences maybe?

Video4fuze *should* remember the last destination folder you used. If it doesn’t, it’s a bug. Check if it does and tell me, if it doesn’t i’ll  try to solve it for next release.

Default source folder? I think it could be easily achieved, I may implement it for next release.

Just be patient, as currently I have very few free time and therefore video4fuze 0.5 won’t be released probably before later november. Anyways, in december i’ll probably have a lot more of time to dedicate to video4fuze.

PD: video4fuze’s development is open to accept more developers, so if anyone would like to help, just tell me ;). You can help even if you aren’t proficient in python or  Qt, or even if you don’tknow what a programming language is - making translations is very easy.

@ssorgatem wrote:

trapperjohn wrote: 

Video4fuze *should* remember the last destination folder you used. If it doesn’t, it’s a bug. Check if it does and tell me, if it doesn’t i’ll  try to solve it for next release.

Default source folder? I think it could be easily achieved, I may implement it for next release.

Just be patient, as currently I have very few free time and therefore video4fuze 0.5 won’t be released probably before later november. Anyways, in december i’ll probably have a lot more of time to dedicate to video4fuze.

PD: video4fuze’s development is open to accept more developers, so if anyone would like to help, just tell me ;). You can help even if you aren’t proficient in python or  Qt, or even if you don’tknow what a programming language is - making translations is very easy.

Hi,

Was not trying to rush you just for some info :slight_smile:

Much appreciate video4fuze. Works Great volume working now, and you were right it does remeber the destination folder, what was confusing about that is when you choose destination folder it di not default to the current destination folder. No biggie.

Will be great to enjoy the future enahncements to video4fuze!

Thank again!

Hi Everyone esp. ssorgatem and ewelot!  I have one thank-you, one question, then a couple suggestions and I can try to help develop if you like.  I have lots of experience with Perl and Tcl and cursory experience with Python.

So, first, thanks you guys for helping me resist the temptation to return my Fuze and get an iPod!  SMC just doesn’t cut it (it hangs all the time for me and is not as fast as your gui, IMO).  I will help you any way I can to make this thing more and more useful since it is in everyone’s best interest.

One question I have is, why are two passes through mencoder needed?  Most all the options in both passes seem identical.

I do also want to concur that for usability the gui in general should remember the latest directories used, both for source files and output files.

Now a couple of suggestions:

1. mencoder “personalities”: I have a couple different video formats that I need to convert for the Fuze, most notably decoded TiVo files (mpeg) and digital camera videos (avi).  One requires cropping+scaling and the other (I think most) are fine with the default expanding+scaling.  I would love to be able to select per video with a drop down menu from a list of personalities that I can create using different mencoder options.  Or at least, one set of mencoder options per convert operation (may be multiple files).

2. preprocessing: I use something called “TiVo Decoder Gui” to strip the Media Access Key encryption and produce a regular mpeg file.  It would be great if we could somehow specify a preprocessing script to incorporate this “unlocking” in front of the conversion process.  That way I can walk away from it after starting and be sure I’ll get the .avi without further intervention.

Let me know how I can help and thanks again people!