song play sequence?

I posted this question here before but did not receive an answer.

If I have a list of songs stripped of track information (using mp3tag), in what sequence does Fuze play them? (They are not put in a Playlist) 

If I may rephrase the question,

If I remove track from all songs in Fuze, and select an Artist or an Album, in what sequence will Fuze play?

Someone mentioned alphabetic order of tag title, but that’s not what I see on my Fuze.

The correct answer seems to be “unpredictable” But I want confirmation.

This question may sound trivial, but the answer will help me fix how I organize songs.

Thanks.

Maybe we’re not sure what you’re asking.

What do you see on your Fuze after you’ve done all you said you wanted done?

So you’re saying no song title?  Will it put on there without one?  I have some that I didn’t “find album” for on windows media player and it listed them as 01track01 and plays in numerical order if not on shuffle.  They have no artist or album either.  They have track numbers so they play in that order.

Ones with song titles play in the order their listed on windows media player.  So if the CD rips them in the order they’re on the CD they also go on the player that way.  They do have ‘track’ numbers, which is the order they are on the Fuze, so if you strip it of that, not sure. 

I just striped the track number and renamed the unknown in Windows Media player and it alphabetized them.  Probably the way they’ll go on the Fuze and play.  Usually they load on the Fuze the order they are in WMP.

If you’re using something other Windows Media Player, then you may need to test and try out some things.

I suppose you could try with one CD and then remove it if it doesn’t work out the way you want it to.

Another suggestion or organizing songs if you don’t want to use playlists is to use the Genre. 

I usually just go by album, artists or just ‘play all’ and shuffle my songs, skpping the ones I don’t care to hear when they come on…

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 11-21-2008 01:38 PM

When playing an album, I believe the order of precedence in sorting is as follows:

1. Track number tag
  2. Title tag
  3. File name
    In other words, sort by track tag if present, else sort by title tag if present, else sort by file name.
    Message Edited by Skinjob on 11-21-2008 03:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

“D” wrote, "Probably the way they’ll go on the Fuze and play.  Usually they load on the Fuze the order they are in WMP. " 

I will check it and write back.

@skinjob wrote:

When playing an album, I believe the order of precedence in sorting is as follows:

1. Track number tag
  2. Title tag
  3. File name
    In other words, sort by track tag if present, else sort by title tag if present, else sort by file name.
    Message Edited by Skinjob on 11-21-2008 03:57 PM

That’s what I was hoping for. Let me explain what I did.

Using mp3tag, I stripped track info from all Piano Concertos and tagged them to the Album Piano Concerto.  So when I select Music>Album>Piano Concerto, I get Beethoven’s, Mozart’s, Brahms’, Schumann’s, etc, which were ripped from multiple CD’s. What’s important to me is that the 3 movements of Beethoven’s 5th Piano Concerto plays in sequence. So I edited the titles (and also file names):

Beethoven 5-1

Beethoven 5-2

Beethoven 5-3.

hoping they would play in that sequence. But I get 

Beethoven 5-1

Mozart 27-3

Beethoven 5-2

I am clueless. 

FYI: I always use MSC. My primary computer runs Ubuntu, but I also connect Fuze to a Windows machine every now and then for tag edit. 

Not sure exactly what’s going on, but another solution would be to just create a playlist with the desired tracks in the desired order.

What ID3 version did you use to tag?

Generally 2v3 with IS0 8859 characters (and v1 tags removed) seems to work for me.

I set all my track numbers to 1 and it sorts it alphabetically by song title, when u choose play all songs. HTH

Hi,

Let me share what works with my Sansa Fuse player: I use Easytag (Linux) to create id3v2.3 tags with track numbers like 01 02 etc, and that way I get the correct playing sequence within an album. Setting Easytag to write v2.4 tags messes up the correct order. I further noticed that when I remove v2.3 tags, and in Album mode, the Fuse plays the songs in the order that they have been copied to the Fuse. So if you don’t use tags, mind the order of copying. This is also the playing order when there are only v1.x tags on the mp3s. I use the Fuse in MSC (usb storage device) mode.

I hope this helps anyone.

Message Edited by gerbenr on 01-31-2009 03:55 AM