sansa media converter help!

hi, i recently got a sansa fuze and downloaded the SMC software to convert videos. But, i tried converting one of my films (in avi format) that was approx 1 hour 20 mins. It converted the video and it showed up on my sansa i played it and it went fine unitl about 25-30 mins when the audio started to “unsynchronize” with the video throughout the film it got worse and worse until it was impossible to watch. I checked the original avi on my pc and it was fine begining to end i have tried this with 2 abis about the same lenght and it happend on both. Can anybody help me???

Thanks.

UPDATE:: i just tried on a 20 min mp4 and it starts to unsynch at about 10 mins into the vid. what gives?

Truex wrote:
I converted a hand full of 1/2 hour tv shows with smc and all is fine during playback. no crash here…now only if the smc would allow more setting adjustments for audio/video quality. everything I convert with smc ends up with the sound running slightly faster than the video so at first it looks right but as the vid plays on, the sound seperates from the video and by the end of a half hour show the sound is like 4 or 5 seconds ahead of the video. with other format converters I can adjust the sound if it ends up out of sync by settings in the program to slow the sound down enough to make the separation minimal…I tried an episode of SNL but about an hour in it was so off that it was unwatchable…yes I know it is just a bonus to have the video, but since it is there, I’d like to be able to use it! lol.

I use MediaCoder for most of my converting, then run it through SMC. Haven’t had any A/V syncing problems so far.

I was looking in to this very thing yesterday and this is the reply I got. I just got media coder installed and am going to test it out. hope this helps.

Message Edited by Truex on 04-14-2009 09:04 AM

well, ok…so I guess I need to learn more about converting because I tried to use media coder  but it seems to be way over my head with all the different settings.

I would love to be able to watch vids with sound in synch, so If any body thinks they can explain the process, please do. I can see when I look at the details of the vid files that they are xvid and say the show runs for 20 min, i see the audio says only like 19 min…

so I would say that is why it is out of sync, but when played on the pc it is fine…it is only after it is converted by smc to my player that it is out of sync.

Can you or anybody tell me what the SMC actually does to the video because and if there’s some other software that does the same thing but more “flexible”

well, I give up for today I guess. I converted file with media coder but then smc wouldnt convert it. it just hung at 0%…so I dl’ed AVS video convertor and used that first then ran it through smc and all went fine. that was until I tried to play it. the fuse told me it was not a compatible format…um, but I used smc, it had no errors and finished like it should, so how could it possibly be in the wrong format? I thought that was the point of using smc; to get it in the right format…dunno why it has to be that difficult to get a file to play with audio in sync with the video. Maybe I need to run smc in mtp mode? lol

I had the same hang at 0% problem. I took the original file and ran it through virtualdub originally trying divx and the like for output compressors, but the output file still hung at 0%. So I tried a few different output compression formats and finally found one that worked (I think one of the Microsoft ones) after that the output file went thro SMC fine.

There must be a set of input file format/settings that SMC chokes on.

I think I got it figured out now…If I convert my file with IVC-internet video converter in divx xvid/mp3.avi format first, then run it through smc it not only plays, but the sound stays with the video…I put in a few of my favorite SNL episodes and it worked great. I also converted a dvd I own to divx and then ran it through smc and viola, I have a working movie and even an hour and a half into it the sound was right on!!!

Same here…stop at 0% (tried xvid,divx and mp4 files)

It should be working itself without using other convertion software…

They got to fix it soon…its BASIC! :angry:

Message Edited by psytransas on 04-15-2009 04:39 PM

@truex wrote:
I think I got it figured out now…If I convert my file with IVC-internet video converter in divx xvid/mp3.avi format first, then run it through smc it not only plays, but the sound stays with the video…I put in a few of my favorite SNL episodes and it worked great. I also converted a dvd I own to divx and then ran it through smc and viola, I have a working movie and even an hour and a half into it the sound was right on!!!

this is where I wish Sandisk would put more of its brain power towards improving the video on the Fuze. All the focus lately has been on the audio side, which is great…don’t get me wrong…very much appreciated but adding more codecs like MPEG2 for example and improving SMC to me would be icing on the cake for my little entertainment dynamo! :wink:

@truex wrote:

thanks for the heads up on IVC-Internet Video Converter. I’ve been playing around with the settings today and instead of

using divx xvid/mp3.avi format you might try Quicktime MOV - .mov?. Sound quality is noticeably better. You may have to install the free quicktime player though to get the codec if the conversion isn’t working for you. I’m really liking IVC because it works much like WinFF for my e200 series Rockboxed players!