rockbox

timn wrote: 

Does anyone know: Once the fuze RB becomes official will the option be there to set it up as single boot to RB only? This could mean that RB not OF comes up while docked to the griffin…

I do like the dual boot back to OF since it means that when I put it in my Altec-Lansing iM413 I can use the remote… I have no idea if RB would support that…

I think you’re misunderstanding the problem.  As I said above the line out port isn’t enabled, so while you can run rockbox in a dock, you won’t get audio out since the line out isn’t enabled.  It’ll just charge the battery and play through the headphones.  If you want to try the directions are in the manual, but from memory I think you have to turn on rockbox and then hold “select” when you insert it into the dock.  I used to do this a lot with a charger when working on the AMS port but its been a while since I tried.  

By the way, is there some kind of line out adapter available for the Fuze? 

saratoga wrote:

timn wrote: 

Does anyone know: Once the fuze RB becomes official will the option be there to set it up as single boot to RB only? This could mean that RB not OF comes up while docked to the griffin…

I do like the dual boot back to OF since it means that when I put it in my Altec-Lansing iM413 I can use the remote… I have no idea if RB would support that…

I think you’re misunderstanding the problem.  As I said above the line out port isn’t enabled, so while you can run rockbox in a dock, you won’t get audio out since the line out isn’t enabled.  It’ll just charge the battery and play through the headphones.  If you want to try the directions are in the manual, but from memory I think you have to turn on rockbox and then hold “select” when you insert it into the dock.  I used to do this a lot with a charger when working on the AMS port but its been a while since I tried.  

By the way, is there some kind of line out adapter available for the Fuze? 

Not commercially…but you can build your own.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sansa-fuzes-diylod-v1-v2-guide-56k-421318/

Thanks that was really helpful.  I haven’t built a line out yet (since I don’t have the actual line out cable part handy), but I was able to hook up a scope and come up with a patch for rockbox that enables line out (I think).

For all I know this could be nothing but static, but at least it plays something! 

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/fuze-lineout.7z

I’m curious to know if the output is ok. 

^^^ Obviously you’ll have to hold center (or whatever the button is, see manual) if you dock has a USB plug, otherwise you’ll just get the OF’s USB mode.  Also, don’t blame me if your Fuze melts :slight_smile:

I’ll try it in a few minutes, and see if it works!

@saratoga wrote:

Thanks that was really helpful.  I haven’t built a line out yet (since I don’t have the actual line out cable part handy), but I was able to hook up a scope and come up with a patch for rockbox that enables line out (I think).

For all I know this could be nothing but static, but at least it plays something! 

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/fuze-lineout.7z

I’m curious to know if the output is ok. 

OK - I just tried it and was unsuccessful.  When I open up your 7z - I see a .rockbox folder and a patch file.  I’m assuming you already incorporated the patch into the .rockbox folder?  So I just copied the .rockbox folder - over my existing install on the Fuze.  Please tell me if I did this correctly, or if I had to install the patch directly.

After that, I let my Fuze restart into Rockbox.  I checked the Fuze Rockbox manual and confirmed that I needed to hold the center (select) button while docking it.  I did so - and Rockbox remained on.

I played a track - and unfortunately heard nothing out of the line out port on my dock.  I cranked up the volume on the player - and my headphone amp, and heard nothing.

Figures it wouldn’t be that easy.  Looks like I’ll have to get a line out cable working before I can look into this.

You can modify an original Sansa cable quite easily. You need to add a shielded 3.5 plug or L-R RCA plug cable (depending on what you connect to). On the Sansa connector:

Pin 27 - Audio R

Pin 28 - Audio L

Pin 29 or Shield housing - Audio Ground (Shield wire)

Pin 7 jumper to Pin 22 - Pin 7 is LO enable, Pin 22 supplies 3volts

Full charging and data transfer capabilities of the original cable are retained as none of those connections are altered.

If you roll back to .18 firmware, the volume control can vary the LO output, newer versions have it fixed at max.

Cable will also work on E200V2 series.

@14124all wrote:

You can modify an original Sansa cable quite easily. You need to add a shielded 3.5 plug or L-R RCA plug cable (depending on what you connect to). On the Sansa connector:

Pin 27 - Audio R

Pin 28 - Audio L

Pin 29 or Shield housing - Audio Ground (Shield wire)

Pin 7 jumper to Pin 22 - Pin 7 is LO enable, Pin 22 supplies 3volts

Full charging and data transfer capabilities of the original cable are retained as none of those connections are altered.

If you roll back to .18 firmware, the volume control can vary the LO output, newer versions have it fixed at max.

Cable will also work on E200V2 series.

Thank but as I said I’ve already read the directions and am simply waiting on a line out cable to arrive. 

Thanks for continuing to look into it!  Good luck making that LOD.

At the risk of being a “me too” guy, I’d love to be able to use the Griffin Docks line-out with RockBox… It would look very cool (sexy) hooked into my stereo sitting there in the dock with the rockbox firmware running!!

Hope someone gets it running and makes it available… I’m a software person, but don’t have the time to learn RB…

Thanks in advance for who-ever gets this running…

Message Edited by timn on 11-30-2009 12:47 PM

For those who were waiting for an ‘official’ Rockbox release for the Fuze (v1), with Rockbox 3.5 (released last night) the status of the Fuze port has been upgraded to ‘stable’.

As a daily Rockbox user, the only thing missing is USB support (for file transfers), everything else works great for me. Of course file transfers are still possible using the original Sansa firmware, which automatically boots when you plug in the USB cable.

Great work Rockbox!

Unfortunately, the newly released rockbox does not recognise the 1.02.31 firmware and will not install.

@nickc wrote:
Unfortunately, the newly released rockbox does not recognise the 1.02.31 firmware and will not install.

" Update mkamsboot for Fuze OF 01.02.31"

Are you sure its not working?  How did you try and install it?

Message Edited by saratoga on 02-05-2010 10:42 AM

I downloaded the latest mkamsboot that I could find but that made no difference. I did download the 1.02.26 firmware and installed using that - very happy with Rockbox although I haven’t got embedded cue sheets in FLAC files working yet - probably just how I am accessing them.

[edit] sp. [/edit]

Message Edited by NickC on 02-11-2010 08:25 AM

@nickc wrote:

I downloaded the latest mkamsboot that I could find but that made no difference. I did download the 1.02.26 firmware and installed using that - very happy with Rockbox although I haven’t got embedded cue sheets in FLAC files working yet - probably just how I am accessing them.

[edit] sp. [/edit]

Message Edited by NickC on 02-11-2010 08:25 AM

What happens if you use rbutil?  

HUGE news!

Also I see you have Linux versions of your installer ready to go.  Both 32- and 64-bit flavors, even.  Nice!

I’m going to try it right now.

(Fuze v2 owner)

Okay, I’m confused.  I downloaded and ran the installer, but it says Fuze v2 support is “unstable.”  WTF?

The devs put the cart before the horse.  They announced the update BEFORE they put the binaries in place.  I got bitten the same way you did.

Putzes!

NOW it’s up.  I’m Rockboxed on my Fuze V1 and copying several gigs of files to it.  I did this for gapless and the kicker for me was a working USB implementation (I hate half measures).  Hopefully I will not be disappointed the way I was a few years ago with their implementation for the Cowon X5.