"restore to factory settings" not working

Hi, I have a Sansa Fuze that’s not being recognized by any PCs (all running on XP Pro Sp2). It appears to work perfectly otherwise.

I’ve tried to reset it to the factory settings, but when I follow the instructions through the interface (i.e., SETTINGS–>SYSTEM SETTINGS—>etc.) to do that nothing happens. I get the red warning, choose “yes” and and am sent to language selection (then region), but none of my files are removed. So I’m assuming it’s not working.

Is there another way to do this?

Also, does anyone have a working link for the Microsoft MTP Porting Kit? The one that comes up on their site at the moment is broken.

Thanks.

P.S. Here is the error message I’m getting in XP, if it makes any difference:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.
The location of the device is shown in bold type.
USB Root Hub (2 ports)
  Unknown Device [in bold]
  Unused Port

I think you’re confusing ‘restoring factory settings’ with ‘formatting’. 2 entirely different procedures and results.

If you’re wanting to clear the memory, you want to format. Your Fuze will do that itself by going to the Format command in the Settings menu. If you’re just wanting to reset your personal options like language, region, backlight settings, auto-shutdown, date/time format back to the way it was when you got it, then choose the factory settings reset.

Tell us more about your connection problem and maybe you can avoid re-loading all your content. Formatting usually does not solve a connection issue. First off, what USB mode are you using? MSC is the most reliable and trouble-free, unless you need MTP for DRM-crippled files. Don’t use the (aptly nick-named) Auto Defect mode.

hmmm, wondering if I need to reformat my daughter’s Fuze.  I posted a new thread about it but then I saw this.  but of course I’m afraid to do the reformatting lest anything else goes wrong with it.