SanDisk Guru

"Refreshing your media" time

[ Edited ]

Just a data point here for you MSCheads ...

In MSC mode, I transferred 2773 MP3s to my newly-formatted 8GB Fuze; 1232 to the internal memory and 1541 to an inserted 8GB MicroSDHC card.  It took 28 minutes to refresh the database.

Take that for what it's worth Smiley Wink

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-28-2008 08:12 AM
SanDisk Guru

Re: MSC and Refresh Database time

Ouch.  It might be faster in MTP mode.  Hope you wont have to go thru that again. 

Just dont pop the card out and you should be OK for a while. 

SanDisk Guru

It'll go through the refresh if I modify the contents, though.

It's a painful story as to why I even bothered using MSC.  In case anyone's interested, ha ha ... I generally use MediaMonkey to sync my players in MTP mode.  Unfortunately, MediaMonkey doesn't see expansion cards in players while in MTP mode, and the contents of my expansion card are unlikely to remain static ... my library's always changing ...

So I'll be using WMP now, but argh ... I've tried to use WMP in the past, and have always encountered problems with maintaining my library and especially syncing.  And it's auto-playlist capabilities are nowhere near MediaMonkey's (nor are Winamp's).

Ah well ... I'll figure out my life and get this all under control someday.  Smiley Wink

SanDisk Guru

That Funky Monkey!  They need to support the external cards in MTP mode!

SanDisk Guru

@sansafix wrote:

That Funky Monkey!  They need to support the external cards in MTP mode!

Yeah ... that would make my MM bliss complete.

SanDisk Guru

"Refreshing your media" time

[ Edited ]

@sansafix wrote:

Ouch.  It might be faster in MTP mode.  Hope you wont have to go thru that again. 

Just dont pop the card out and you should be OK for a while. 

I synced the same set of songs in MTP mode ... took a very short amount of time to get through the first half of the "Refreshing your media" phase, then took about 15 minutes to get through the second half.  If my guess is correct that the first half is the refreshing of the internal memory, then it appears that syncing in MTP mode doesn't effect the time it takes to read the card.

What was more disturbing was that after using WMP to delete a few songs out of the internal memory (yes, not the card), the refresh phase took exactly the same amount of time.  Huh?

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-28-2008 08:11 AM
SanDisk Guru

Re: "Refreshing your media" time

PromisedPlanet wrote:

What was more disturbing was that after using WMP to delete a few songs out of the internal memory (yes, not the card), the refresh phase took exactly the same amount of time.  Huh?

In case this was an WMP issue, I tried deleting a song from the Fuze's internal memory using Windows Explorer.  Same thing ... about a 15 minute refresh database time.

This could be a deal-killer for me.  I don't want to wait 15 minutes for my Fuze to be ready, every time I modify the contents of the internal memory.

Any chance that a firmware update could fix this?  Recognize that the internal memory's contents have been changed, but not the expansion card's?

SanDisk Guru

Sounds like you found a bug.  I thought the database refresh would be necessary, solely for SD card data changes or transfers.

Though you have a lot of tracks, the refresh is indeed slow.  But a refresh on transfer to the resident memory?  I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Bob  Smiley Wink

SanDisk Guru

I'm wondering if other Sansa players do the same thing ... I don't want to spam the other "device" forums, though.  Smiley Wink
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

The one to look at is the e200v2- same processor at least.  I don't have any handy SD cards, or I'd do an experiment for you right now!

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-28-2008 06:16 AM