playlist lag on sd card

I have a 2gb fuze with a 4gb card.I keep audiobooks and video on the internal memory and my music on the sd card. When I select a playlist from the music menu, it takes a few seconds before the list of songs comes up and can be played.

Is this normal & if not, any suggestions on how to fix this time lag?

This noob thanks the community.

Jakewoodblues

Yeah, it’s normal. M3U playlists load very slowly.

It should be fixed in the next firmware!

One other thing to consider as well. The SD cards are made in different classes which I believe are Class: 2, 4, and 6. The class is basically its speed rating, class 6 being the fastest. This is something to pay attention to when buying at various places online. It is most likely the reason you would see a huge difference in price at different vendors for an SD card with the same amount of memory.

As a side note, I have a 4GB class 6 card in my Fuze. I searched for an 8GB class 6 but could not find one. Not sure if they make class 6’s in that size.  

SanDisk’s new Mobile Ultra microSDHC cards are all class 6.  For some reason SanDisk doesn’t like to make it obvious what class a card is, but the ultras are all class 6, including the 8GB.

Uh – kinda a noob here. What does class 6 mean?

Class 6 means really fast!

SDHC cards have SD Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on “the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied

• Class 2: 2 MB/s
  • Class 4: 4 MB/s
  • Class 6: 6 MB/s

An 8GB class 2 SD card will cost far less than a 8GB class 6 card.

Many retailers (specifically oline) don’t often mention what class a card is. Therefore, and I have seen it, they can charge more for a lower class card. Most people think an 8GB card is a 8GB card. Not so.

Hope this helps. 

@blkhwk91b wrote:

Many retailers (specifically oline) don’t often mention what class a card is. Therefore, and I have seen it, they can charge more for a lower class card. Most people think an 8GB card is a 8GB card. Not so.

This is definitely the case.  If the vendor doesn’t specify the Class or provide a manufacturer model number so you can verify it yourself, chances are it’s Class 2 and should be avoided as transfers will be agonizingly slow.  For 4GB cards there’s no reason to get anything less than Class 6.  Newegg has a number of 4GB Class 6 cards for around $15.  8GB Class 6 is still a little pricey.  16GB cards are supposed to be out anytime now and will hopefully push the 8GB prices down.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 08-22-2008 10:40 AM

question for anyone who has used both:

how slow are the class 4 cards compared to the class 6 on the Fuze itself?

i’m not asking about transfer time to put files on the microsd card

i’m asking if i put a class 4 micro sd card in the fuze expansion slot and leave it there-  

is it a night/day difference between the class 4 or class 6 when you power up the Fuze and it does it’s “refreshing media thingy”

class 4 cards are really cheap out there and i’m ready to expand a little.

@emagon4523 wrote:

question for anyone who has used both:

how slow are the class 4 cards compared to the class 6 on the Fuze itself?

i’m not asking about transfer time to put files on the microsd card

i’m asking if i put a class 4 micro sd card in the fuze expansion slot and leave it there-  

is it a night/day difference between the class 4 or class 6 when you power up the Fuze and it does it’s “refreshing media thingy”

class 4 cards are really cheap out there and i’m ready to expand a little.

I don’t have the appropriate cards to be able to test it myself, but it should be a very noticable difference.  Especially when copying content to the card.  Class 6 is so cheap right now, I wouldn’t consider Class 4.

Newegg has 4GB Class 6 cards for $17 shipped and 8GB Class 6 cards for $37 shipped.  At those prices I don’t think the few bucks you’ll save on Class 4 justifies the performance penalty.

I don’t have the appropriate cards to be able to test it myself, but it should be a very noticable difference.  Especially when copying content to the card.  Class 6 is so cheap right now, I wouldn’t consider Class 4.

Newegg has 4GB Class 6 cards for $17 shipped and 8GB Class 6 cards for $37 shipped.  At those prices I don’t think the few bucks you’ll save on Class 4 justifies the performance penalty.

Actually a 4gb class 4 isn’t that slow or different. 

I have a 4gb Fuze.  I just tried my 4gb card with 2 new songs and they synced using WMP10 as quickly as others, loaded just as quickly after I disconnected, and using Recently Added feature, they played right away.  Maybe because mine’s a SanDisk card?  It does have the 4 in a circle in the upper right hand corner of the card, so I know it’s a 4.  I do have a bunch of podcasts on there (put my learning spanish on one disk)… it says 3.37gb left on the card… so maybe because it’s not full it was faster?  My podcasts also play immediately. 

I didn’t know about the classes when I bought them so I just bought them off Amazon, they were less then $10, about $15 with shipping… Now I think I’d probably look for class 6 if they have them but I don’t see much difference in mine with the 2gb, which is full and I have no idea what class (doesn’t say and I no longer have the packaging) or my internal memory.

REFRESH, turned it on and turned it off and trying the cards I have… Just put my 2gb in and it took less then 30 seconds to refresh (this one is almost full).  Now I’ll try the 4gb… took about 12 seconds (with the little bit I have on it).

thanks for the info-

i’ll probably pick up some of each and see if i notice any major differences.

i never realized how quickly i could fill a 4GB card but as small and cheap as they are it’s amazing how much of an audio library you can carry with you in such small space.

thinking ahead when the fuze has .flac (and other lossless codec) support…

i do wonder if that will require class 6 cards if you want to play .flac files from the xpansion slot.

to play .flac the firmware will have to decode the file and i can see speed being a potential issue there.

but if they play fine with class 4 or slower cards, as those things drop in price i’ll be in heaven with the gaggle of music bootlegs i have in .flac.

I don’t think you’ll notice a major difference transferring a couple songs, but if you’re loading it up for the first time or swapping out a bunch of albums you should notice a difference.

Playback or operation of the player in general should not be any different with Class 4 or 6.  Both are plenty fast enough to handle anything the player does.  It’s really just transferring a large amount of data to the player where Class 6 should make a difference.

With regard to FLAC, Class 4 shouldn’t be a problem.   FLAC is actually much less computationally complex then MP3, so it should actually be easier on the player.  You might even get slightly better battery life with FLAC.  A typical 4 minute FLAC song is in the neighborhood of 20-30MB, which works out to 5-6MB a minute.  Since the Classes are rated in MB per second, even the slowest classes should be fine for playback.

A 4 gig class 6 card might take around 11 minutes to fill, while a class 4 one might take around 17 minutes, and a class 2 one around 33 minutes. So the difference between class 4 and class 6 isn’t that huge, but a class 2 card would seem quite slow if you are filling it completely. The prices between class 2, class 4 and class 6 cards have narrowed considerably, although cards faster than class 6 are still very expensive.

My Fuze won’t play FLAC file, although I already updated the firmware to v.10.10.15a. But the ogg works fine. The FLAC file is detected in song list, but whenever I select it, my Fuze always skip it to the next ‘non FLAC’ songs. I encoded the song with FLAC quality 5 and I’m using 2 GB non-SDHC card. Is there any faulty with them?