my sansa fuze is having problems.

I had my fuze packed up for a couple of years and it was working fine until I added new music and now it turns off by its self and turns back on. When I try to play the new music it freezes and will not play. I have to Hold the button to turn it off, to get it to unfreeze. What do I need to do to get it working again?

I’d try formatting it, which will erase and optimize the memory (you can do this easily from the Settings > System Settings menu) and re-loading your music.

Might or might not work but it doesn’t hurt to try it. :wink:

Also a good idea to update or manually re-install the firmware. These 2 things are about the only ‘repair’ options you have.

Looks like an issue as well that a reformat can fix. Make sure that you have a back up of everything first if you’re considering this.

Where are the songs stored? You can try connecting the device in MSC mode. Then, open the internal memory (assuming the songs causing you greaf are stored on the Internal Memory), and delete any file off the root directory that end with the .dat extension. Note: doing so will wipe the (often buggy) data your device uses as it’s library. When you unblug, the library will refresh from scratch (rebuilding these file in the process), and thus will take even longer than usual. If the files are stored on an SD card, the same procedure will work, although you will have to delete the files off the card, too. If after a DB refresh, you don’t see any files on the card, remove it, and re-insert it.

Note: you may need to configure your system to show hidden files. See HERE for instruction on how to do this with Windows. You may also need to configure your system to show file extensions, see HERE for instructions.

Sounds like there may be a problem with the individual files you’ve added. I would try re-saving the metadata tags using something like MP3Tag, and see if that helps. You will need to set it to use the iso 8859-1 format (if you do a search on this forum, you’ll find out how).

Or, perhaps there’s some partition corruption happening. A filesystem error checker (such as chkdsk for Windows, or dosfsck for systems like GNU/Linux) might also help to fix this issue.

If all else fails, perhaps a re-format might be the way to go. Re-installing the firmware might might also be beneficial.