linux Mint not recognizing Fuze

When I connect to the USB the Fuze says connected but does not charge and I don’t see it show on the task bar. On the Windows OS it has no problems.

Is your Fuze set to MSC mode?

Yes it is set for the MSC, but it is still not recognized. My son’s two year old ,one gig, is recognized imediately on MPT, Go figure.

What I will tel you is very strange … but true!!

I’m under linux (kubuntu 8.10) and I was very disapointed because I thought that the fuze was not reconized by linux even in MSC mode (but it’s working under windows as I can remember --not tested since a good time–).

When I was pluging the fuze, the fuze’s screen show the “connected screen” but didn’t want to charge nor appear under kde.

But one day, I discover that not pluging entirely the usb cable (the power pin of the usb connected but the data pin not connected) permit to charge the fuze (I see the little thunder next to the battery in the right corner) but still not appears under linux.

And an other day I discover that in this state, if I continue a little more (very sligthly and it’s difficult) it appears under kde. But if i plug the wire entirely it still disapppear.

And now that I know the trick it works well…

I don’t understand why plug completly, the fuze is not detected under my linux.

PS : it seems that’s not due to the usb port of my laptop because it do it under all the usb port and not under windows.

Message Edited by cosmocat on 11-10-2008 06:45 AM

I’m not sure if this will work in Mint, but in order to get Ubuntu to recognize the Fuze you need to go to a terminal and type in lsusb, and that will get you charge the FUZE and allow you to add songs to the FUZE in Ubuntu. I’m not sure if this command is uniform for all distros in Linux but it is worth a try.

Well stange enogh I just tried to play with the connection at the Fuze and I got it to cahrge. While the Sansa techs told me to try to put the usb in the back I thought I saw the lighting bolt show up but didn’t pay attention to it, but it is what you said it would do. 

Now my question is, what is meant by, go to a terminal and type in Isusb? and KDE? 

“lsusb” is a command which show the devices connected to the usb. If your fuze is charging, look if it is detected by linux, you should see a line like this :

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:74c1 SanDisk Corp.

If it’s detected but don’t appear automaticly in your desktop manager (kde, gnome, …) you should mount it.

Otherwise, you could difficultly do something. But normally it should appear because in MSC mode, linux use a basic usb driver.

Message Edited by cosmocat on 11-10-2008 02:53 PM

Well I found the terminal typed lsusb and Sandisk was detected.

Bus 005 Device 008: ID 0781:74c1 SanDisk Corp.  I see it plainly on the desktop. Does this mean I can load music onto it? 

Halelujah!!!

Praise the LORD

This was an awefull (full of awe) expirience. from tinkering with the usb calble to the terminal commands. 

Thank you again, and may God richly bless you.  :smiley:

SOLVED

I had the same problem with Ubuntu Hardy, and indeedit work if you don’t plug the usb cable completelly in. Very stange.

I have the same problem in Mint, it will sometimes recognize the Fuze, and sometimes not.  Sometimes charge and sometimes not.  I can only get it to charge my e280, it won’t ever let me transfer files.  I see it listed when I use lsusb, but I don’t know how to mount the volume.  Any help with that?

It works perfectly on debian.

@billthelurker wrote:
I have the same problem in Mint, it will sometimes recognize the Fuze, and sometimes not.  Sometimes charge and sometimes not.  I can only get it to charge my e280, it won’t ever let me transfer files.  I see it listed when I use lsusb, but I don’t know how to mount the volume.  Any help with that?

About mounting your Fuze. You should not have any issue with Mint as the device is automounted on recent Debian and Ubuntu systems. The only important step is to set the Fuze in MSC USB connection mode before connecting to your PC. Better check twice (menu Settings/System Settings/USB Mode). The default is “AutoDetect” - which is not what we need - and even if you have changed it, it reverts back to the default setting upon firmware update and device reset.

About charging problems. There are several threads on that issue. Most likely the reason is unsufficient power from the USB port in use. Try to avoid an USB hub or connect to other ports on your PC. If this doesn’t work please search the forum for other suggestions.

It is all rather strange. I run Mint7 and it recognises Fuze without any problem, two icons pop up for the player and its extra 8Gb card.

USB cables have two pairs of wires: one pair for power and the other for data. The connectors are designed so that the power wires make contact first when you insert the insert the cable. My understanding is this is so that you won’t get a data connection without power to support it. But a consequence of this is that, if you insert the plug just enough, you’ll get the same effect as if you plugged the device into a charger with no data lines. When you do that, you can charge the Sansa player and use it at the same time, but the computer won’t see it.

The Fuze (or other Sansa ) probably will say it’s connected when it detects a signal or closed circuit on the data lines, regardless of whether the computer can recognize it or not. But the computer should probably, in that case, recognize that there’s some kind of device connected, even if it doesn’t recognize that it’s a mass storage device, or whatever the computer is supposed to see when it’s an MTP device and the computer has MTP software.

BTW, the best way to charge a Sansa , especially if you want to use it at the same time, is with a wall charger that you can get on eBay for under $4 shipped. 

Message Edited by aarons510 on 11-12-2009 05:54 PM