Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

is a Fuze to iPod accessory adapter possible?

I was thinking about the myriad of iP*d accessories there are for listening with speakers and the like and was wondering: is it possible to build/buy an adapter that connects to the Fuze and then to an iP*d connector on, say, a speaker dock? It strikes me that it wouldn't need to carry much more than power-in and line-out, but I'm ignorant on the details.

Like I said it would allow Fuze'rs to use most iP*d accessories rather than only the 1 or 2 docks available today.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: is a Fuze to iPod accessory adapter possible?

I don't think you can buy one, but the line-out and power-in pinouts are publicly available so it should be possible to build one.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

It seems to me that most Fuze owners would want one, if for no other reason than to be able to drop the fuze into their friends iPod dock to play their music for them. I'd buy one (maybe $8-$10) if I could and knew I could then get a cheapie dock on sale anywhere

Just think how much better off we'd be if the Fuze could be used with any iP*d dock/accessory (not to mention SanDisk)

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 06:25 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@timn wrote:

Just think how much better off we'd be if the Fuze could be used with any iP*d dock/accessory (not to mention SanDisk)

Oh I agree! I have an iPod battery pack that could be used to extend the Fuze video time.

BTW, iPod isn't a swear word. You can say it, its OK.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Connectors can be found here:

http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/connector.htm

If someone was good with a schematic and a soldering iron , an ipod conn. and a fuze conn.seems like it could be done.

8GB Black Fuze 8GB sdhc
,BSE, PK3s
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

so, when will someone (SanDisk) make one (the adapter).. seems like an easy sell...
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

iPod accessories have been known to fry Sansas because the power is going through different connectors.

Now, let's see, who has an incentive to make an iPod-to-Sansa connector? 

Apple? Nope, they want to sell those dopI players. 

SanDisk? No, why should they encourage people to buy iPod accessories?

Third parties? Maybe, but they could just make Sansa accessories instead.  

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

Disagree, SanDisk makes very few accessories..and who wants a device with only about 2-3 accessories locked into a single supplier? If people knew the Fuze worked with iPod accessories available almost everywhere and at all levels of price/performance  and realized that the Fuze sounded better etc, then they'd be more tempted to buy one. If I knew it was so difficult to buy Fuze accsy's, specifically a dock with speakers, I might (might!) have made a different choice.  I DID say might... It's kinda fristrating that there's basically only the iM413, and absolutely nothing in stores when you shop...  therein is the value of an adapter! Pick a doc or the like and if it works with iPod it works with Fuze.  You see something cool/cute at Walmart or BestBuy or where-ever  and if you want it, you're good to go

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 08:40 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@timn wrote:

Disagree, SanDisk makes very few accessories..and who wants a device with only about 2-3 accessories locked into a single supplier? If people knew the Fuze worked with iPod accessories available almost everywhere and at all levels of price/performance  and realized that the Fuze sounded better etc, then they'd be more tempted to buy one. If I knew it was so difficult to buy Fuze accsy's, specifically a dock with speakers, I might (might!) have made a different choice.  I DID say might... It's kinda fristrating that there's basically only the iM413

SanDisk Makes NO accessories. Third Party companys like Griffin make accessories. So its really up to them.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

I plan on doing this sometime in the future. I don't expect it from Sansa or Apple due to licensing involved. If/when I come up with a Klipsch ipod device (SXT ?), I'll modify the internals for Fuze use if possible. I won't use the device because I have a custom built 200 watt Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Boombox for hookup to any player. A universal adapter will have to be in the form of a cable with Fuze connection on one end and ipod dock on the other. The pin that would be needed on the ipod side (as I see it in pinouts) has a variable voltage available. It is dependent on what devices are connected to the ipod and will have to be locked in the correct mode to avoid overvoltage to the Fuze lineout enable input. If done wrong, it will fry the input on the Fuze.

I have a priority ahead of this project and that is a modification of my original Fuze lineout cable used as a basis for an E200 series lineout cable.

Sansa won't build 'em, so I guess I have to!

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built