is a Fuze to iPod accessory adapter possible?

It seems to me that most Fuze owners would want one, if for no other reason than to be able to drop the fuze into their friends iPod dock to play their music for them. I’d buy one (maybe $8-$10) if I could and knew I could then get a cheapie dock on sale anywhere

Just think how much better off we’d be if the Fuze could be used with any iP*d dock/accessory (not to mention SanDisk)

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 06:25 PM

@timn wrote:

Just think how much better off we’d be if the Fuze could be used with any iP*d dock/accessory (not to mention SanDisk)

Oh I agree! I have an iPod battery pack that could be used to extend the Fuze video time.

BTW, iPod isn’t a swear word. You can say it, its OK.

Connectors can be found here:

http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/connector.htm

If someone was good with a schematic and a soldering iron , an ipod conn. and a fuze conn.seems like it could be done.

so, when will someone (SanDisk) make one (the adapter)… seems like an easy sell…

iPod accessories have been known to fry Sansas because the power is going through different connectors.

Now, let’s see, who has an incentive to make an iPod-to-Sansa connector? 

Apple? Nope, they want to sell those dopI players. 

SanDisk? No, why should they encourage people to buy iPod accessories?

Third parties? Maybe, but they could just make Sansa accessories instead.  

Disagree, SanDisk makes very few accessories…and who wants a device with only about 2-3 accessories locked into a single supplier? If people knew the Fuze worked with iPod accessories available almost everywhere and at all levels of price/performance  and realized that the Fuze sounded better etc, then they’d be more tempted to buy one. If I knew it was so difficult to buy Fuze accsy’s, specifically a dock with speakers, I might (might!) have made a different choice.  I DID say might… It’s kinda fristrating that there’s basically only the iM413, and absolutely nothing in stores when you shop…  therein is the value of an adapter! Pick a doc or the like and if it works with iPod it works with Fuze.  You see something cool/cute at Walmart or BestBuy or where-ever  and if you want it, you’re good to go

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 08:40 PM

@timn wrote:

Disagree, SanDisk makes very few accessories…and who wants a device with only about 2-3 accessories locked into a single supplier? If people knew the Fuze worked with iPod accessories available almost everywhere and at all levels of price/performance  and realized that the Fuze sounded better etc, then they’d be more tempted to buy one. If I knew it was so difficult to buy Fuze accsy’s, specifically a dock with speakers, I might (might!) have made a different choice.  I DID say might… It’s kinda fristrating that there’s basically only the iM413

SanDisk Makes NO accessories. Third Party companys like Griffin make accessories. So its really up to them.

I plan on doing this sometime in the future. I don’t expect it from Sansa or Apple due to licensing involved. If/when I come up with a Klipsch ipod device (SXT ?), I’ll modify the internals for Fuze use if possible. I won’t use the device because I have a custom built 200 watt Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Boombox for hookup to any player. A universal adapter will have to be in the form of a cable with Fuze connection on one end and ipod dock on the other. The pin that would be needed on the ipod side (as I see it in pinouts) has a variable voltage available. It is dependent on what devices are connected to the ipod and will have to be locked in the correct mode to avoid overvoltage to the Fuze lineout enable input. If done wrong, it will fry the input on the Fuze.

I have a priority ahead of this project and that is a modification of my original Fuze lineout cable used as a basis for an E200 series lineout cable.

Sansa won’t build 'em, so I guess I have to!

It doesn’t matter who makes it… there are almost none out there…   but go into any store and you’ll find iPod accessories…

THAT"S the value in the adapter… and would help sell Sansa’s superior product. Compatability is key!

It strikes me that there is little legal exposure, a connector shape and pinout is not legally protected AFAIK

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 08:45 PM

@timn wrote:

It doesn’t matter who makes it… there are almost none out there…   but go into any store and you’ll find iPod accessories…

THAT"S the value in the adapter… and would help sell Sansa’s superior product. Compatability is key!

It strikes me that there is little legal exposure, a connector shape and pinout is not legally protected AFAIK

Message Edited by timn on 04-18-2009 08:45 PM

I agree with you… I think something should be made but… I posted thisin December 2008 and got no reaction. We will see what happens.

Thanks for the note… I’ll shutup now on the topic

I’m very interested in your thoughts of an adapter.  Trying to upgrade my car stereo with the ability to use my Fuze seems to be impossible.  If you make any progress, please post your findings.       Thanks Louis 

I bit the bullet and got the Altec-Lansing iM413  but for $30…   but still, if there was an adapter I could have gotten I might have opted for something different.

I picture a 30 pin “barrel” labelled IPod on one end and Sansa on the other, the sansa end plugs into the player, the IPod end goes to whatever IPod accessory you have… inside the wires are rerouted appropriately. Maybe the thing is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch high with a snap-on plastic support to hold the fuze in place and reduce the stress on the connector.

And I still say having these available would be a boon for Sansa. A better quality player compatable with the 100’s of different IPod accessories should sell quite well. Heck, the adapter could even come with the thing, or you might find them hanging on a peg near the IPod accessories at the retailer.

Maybe I’m wrong…

Message Edited by timn on 06-12-2009 12:45 PM

Creative sued Apple and won a shed load of bucks so it is not so simple as it sounds. If only Apple had made things compatable they would have saved $100 million plus all the development costs, and maybe sansa would have followed and we would be so happy!

If anyone does make a crossover plug I will buy one.

I would certainly buy one! My question is what is the reason for Sandisk using the pinout they do on the Sansa devices? You would think they would have made it the same as the iPod so that there would be fewer reasons to NOT get the Sansa.

There really are SO many accessories (some I wouldn’t really call accessories) for the iPod! Most HTIBs (Home theater in a box) and receivers come with some form of iPod dock. Heck, even some TVs are now coming with an iPod dock! It seems that just about anything that can play audio is iPod compatible.

@bassmannate wrote:

I would certainly buy one! My question is what is the reason for Sandisk using the pinout they do on the Sansa devices? You would think they would have made it the same as the iPod so that there would be fewer reasons to NOT get the Sansa.

Perhaps Apple has a patent on their connector, and Sandisk wasn’t allowed to use it.

That’s kinda what I was shooting at.

Apple absolutely has a patent on their proprietary connector. Licensing this connector to other MP3 player makers would negate the huge advantage they currently have in accessories. It seems like locking customers in with proprietary connectors and formats has always been attractive to MP3 player manufacturers.

So, since the Ipod interface is proprietary and the ratio of Ipod to Sansa owners wanting/willing to buy docking assessories is (a wild guess) at least 50 to 1 or higher then perhaps

Sansa should offer some manufacturer a premium (engineering investment) to create a line of docks/speakers that works with their connector. Then for any new product (i.e. SlotRadio) or the older products with the connector they can advertise “A complete line of accessories is easily available through us or at many retailers”.

This would, IMO, boost sales significantly, but I could be wrong.

@timn wrote:

So, since the Ipod interface is proprietary and the ratio of Ipod to Sansa owners wanting/willing to buy docking assessories is (a wild guess) at least 50 to 1 or higher then perhaps

Sansa should offer some manufacturer a premium (engineering investment) to create a line of docks/speakers that works with their connector. Then for any new product (i.e. SlotRadio) or the older products with the connector they can advertise “A complete line of accessories is easily available through us or at many retailers”.

This would, IMO, boost sales significantly, but I could be wrong.

Agreed, I think they attempted that with Belkin and Griffen, but Im not sure that worked out. I know Altec Lansing makes most Docks but again I dont know how well that works out for them.