Highlighted
Accepted Solution

im having a hard time getting more than 100 songs per gig, is that usual?

most are mp3 files save for a few flac and wma 
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: im having a hard time getting more than 100 songs per gig, is that usual?

Depends on what bit-rate you're ripping at, and exactly how many FLAC's are "a few".
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]
The number of songs doesn't matter. Companies advertise that a unit holds X number of songs by assuming that a typical  song is about 3-5 MB (or less if they're sneaky). All that counts is the size of the files. If your songs average 10MB, then you'll get 100 per GB.
Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 07-06-2010 01:22 PM
Highlighted

usually around 1000 bitrate for the flac files (about 30 of em), the rest(800 or so songs) sit around 200-300 bitrate
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The "250 songs/GB" figure that manufacturers cite is based on 128kbps MP3s. Your MP3s are, on average, twice that bitrate. Throw in some FLACs (which are typically HUGE in comparison to MP3s) and it's no surprise that you're only averaging 100 songs/GB.
Highlighted

Try dropping the quality to 128 or 192 kbps. I'd ditch the FLAC for the player.  It's nice on the computer, but isn't necessary when the playback quality will be limited to that of earbuds anyway.  If you have really nice heaphones you may notice the difference, but I can't on my typical buds.

When converting be sure to keep a copy of the high quality files.  You'll still want those for when space isn't limited (your computer).

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

gregoryfuze wrote:

Try dropping the quality to 128 or 192 kbps. I'd ditch the FLAC for the player.  It's nice on the computer, but isn't necessary when the playback quality will be limited to that of earbuds anyway.  If you have really nice heaphones you may notice the difference, but I can't on my typical buds.

When converting be sure to keep a copy of the high quality files.  You'll still want those for when space isn't limited (your computer).

With 40GB capacity available now (8GB on-board + 32GB memory card), I can't see the need to sacrifice quality for quantity. It's not like it was a couple of years ago when a few gigs was all you had to work with.
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 07-07-2010 07:10 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Take, I dont know anybody who would buy a 32gb card at current prices to toss into a fuze, thats like what 2-4x the price most people pay for a fuze these days?

16gb is close to the price of a referb 8gb fuze or an onsale fuze8gb

as to flac, I have tested it, and it knocks batt life down far more then ogg, so I will stick with ogg.

my advice to the OP is to convert/rip all your stuff in Ogg Vorbis, if you rockbox you will have 20+hours batt life and excellent quality Smiley Happy

If you need any help, you can hop on hydrogen audio forums or my forums(google ashentech) alot of people would be happy to walk you through converting your stuff im sure Smiley Happy

my ears my not be golden but I can hear mp3 artifacts even in high bitrate lame files(not all of them, but if i rip a full album to lame at least a couple tracks will have stuff that bothers me....god it sucks when you learn to hear artifacts....)

ogg sometimes i do have to re-rip a rare song here and there to higher then my defults but for the most part(99% of the time).

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@Tapeworm wrote:

@gregoryfuze wrote:

With 40GB capacity available now (8GB on-board + 32GB memory card), I can't see the need to sacrifice quality for quantity. It's not like it was a couple of years ago when a few gigs was all you had to work with.
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 07-07-2010 07:10 PM

Even at low bitrate a lot of people won't be able to fit their collection on 40gb.  

Highlighted
SanDisk User

but, do people really need to carry around their entire collection?

I never have gotten that, I only carry what I will listen to when im out and about, the stuff i have thats for "when im in that mood" could easily be loaded to a card (microsd cards are tiny after all) and i could swap out the card if needed.

enlarge most people i know who carry around their full collections on 80-160 or larger capacity players dont listen to 90% of it when they are actually out and about, they admit this to me freely, one of my friends has a 160gb player and all the stuff on it is in q-0 to q-4 vorbis, its almost full, but he admits he rarely listens to most of it, his main reason loading all of it up was that he had the space to do it Smiley Tongue