im having a hard time getting more than 100 songs per gig, is that usual?

most are mp3 files save for a few flac and wma 

Depends on what bit-rate you’re ripping at, and exactly how many FLAC’s are “a few”.

The number of songs doesn’t matter. Companies advertise that a unit holds X number of songs by assuming that a typical  song is about 3-5 MB (or less if they’re sneaky). All that counts is the size of the files. If your songs average 10MB, then you’ll get 100 per GB.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 07-06-2010 01:22 PM

usually around 1000 bitrate for the flac files (about 30 of em), the rest(800 or so songs) sit around 200-300 bitrate

The “250 songs/GB” figure that manufacturers cite is based on 128kbps MP3s. Your MP3s are, on average, twice that bitrate. Throw in some FLACs (which are typically HUGE in comparison to MP3s) and it’s no surprise that you’re only averaging 100 songs/GB.

Try dropping the quality to 128 or 192 kbps. I’d ditch the FLAC for the player.  It’s nice on the computer, but isn’t necessary when the playback quality will be limited to that of earbuds anyway.  If you have really nice heaphones you may notice the difference, but I can’t on my typical buds.

When converting be sure to keep a copy of the high quality files.  You’ll still want those for when space isn’t limited (your computer).

gregoryfuze wrote:

Try dropping the quality to 128 or 192 kbps. I’d ditch the FLAC for the player.  It’s nice on the computer, but isn’t necessary when the playback quality will be limited to that of earbuds anyway.  If you have really nice heaphones you may notice the difference, but I can’t on my typical buds.

When converting be sure to keep a copy of the high quality files.  You’ll still want those for when space isn’t limited (your computer).

With 40GB capacity available now (8GB on-board + 32GB memory card), I can’t see the need to sacrifice quality for quantity. It’s not like it was a couple of years ago when a few gigs was all you had to work with.
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 07-07-2010 07:10 PM

Take, I dont know anybody who would buy a 32gb card at current prices to toss into a fuze, thats like what 2-4x the price most people pay for a fuze these days?

16gb is close to the price of a referb 8gb fuze or an onsale fuze8gb

as to flac, I have tested it, and it knocks batt life down far more then ogg, so I will stick with ogg.

my advice to the OP is to convert/rip all your stuff in Ogg Vorbis, if you rockbox you will have 20+hours batt life and excellent quality :slight_smile:

If you need any help, you can hop on hydrogen audio forums or my forums(google ashentech) alot of people would be happy to walk you through converting your stuff im sure :slight_smile:

my ears my not be golden but I can hear mp3 artifacts even in high bitrate lame files(not all of them, but if i rip a full album to lame at least a couple tracks will have stuff that bothers me…god it ■■■■■ when you learn to hear artifacts…)

ogg sometimes i do have to re-rip a rare song here and there to higher then my defults but for the most part(99% of the time).

@tapeworm wrote:

@gregoryfuze wrote:

With 40GB capacity available now (8GB on-board + 32GB memory card), I can’t see the need to sacrifice quality for quantity. It’s not like it was a couple of years ago when a few gigs was all you had to work with.
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 07-07-2010 07:10 PM

Even at low bitrate a lot of people won’t be able to fit their collection on 40gb.  

but, do people really need to carry around their entire collection?

I never have gotten that, I only carry what I will listen to when im out and about, the stuff i have thats for “when im in that mood” could easily be loaded to a card (microsd cards are tiny after all) and i could swap out the card if needed.

enlarge most people i know who carry around their full collections on 80-160 or larger capacity players dont listen to 90% of it when they are actually out and about, they admit this to me freely, one of my friends has a 160gb player and all the stuff on it is in q-0 to q-4 vorbis, its almost full, but he admits he rarely listens to most of it, his main reason loading all of it up was that he had the space to do it :stuck_out_tongue:

AzureSky wrote:
but, do people really need to carry around their entire collection?

I never have gotten that, I only carry what I will listen to when im out and about, the stuff i have thats for “when im in that mood” could easily be loaded to a card (microsd cards are tiny after all) and i could swap out the card if needed.

enlarge most people i know who carry around their full collections on 80-160 or larger capacity players dont listen to 90% of it when they are actually out and about, they admit this to me freely, one of my friends has a 160gb player and all the stuff on it is in q-0 to q-4 vorbis, its almost full, but he admits he rarely listens to most of it, his main reason loading all of it up was that he had the space to do it :stuck_out_tongue:

It is cool to “shuffle all” when you have a good portion of your collection with you.:wink:

yeah but like most people i know, alot of my collection i dont take with me is for “when im in that mood” stuff that i dont listen to all the time, just when im in that particular mood.

I dont got a giagantic collection but thats mostly because I find alot of the music out today to be utter **bleep**/trash/bunk just worthless ■■■■…depressing how music is mostly ■■■■ today isnt it :stuck_out_tongue:

AzureSky wrote:
yeah but like most people i know, alot of my collection i dont take with me is for “when im in that mood” stuff that i dont listen to all the time , just when im in that particular mood.

I dont got a giagantic collection but thats mostly because I find alot of the music out today to be utter **bleep**/trash/bunk just worthless ■■■■…depressing how music is mostly ■■■■ today isnt it :stuck_out_tongue:

Quite right! My lossy library is a little over 50GB for now, but I can fit a good selection of it onto my Clip+'s 22.73 usable GB, with 150MB of that reserved for podcast use. I certanly don’t want all of it with me, if it was, I wouldn’t be shuffling all, that’s for sure!

I have a 16gb card on the way from focalprice(i had a large coupon from when they sent me the wrong IEM’s, they sent the pl-30 rather then the pl-50, and after talking back and forth with them, the pl-30 ended up only costing me like 8bucks, so i used the large coupon they gave me to buy a 16gb card(8gb card in it now)

I got my 2nd fuze off Mertado Social Deals (a facebook store kinda like woot) 8gb v1 fuze NEW white box for 57bucks shipped, couldnt pass it up, I can say the pouch they tossed in is nicer then the little pouch case sansa gives out!!

tossed a squaretrade on it for 8bucks(coupon codes rock, google is your friend)

SO soon i will effectivly have like 40gb total space if i take both players with me , but i will likely dupe the onboard memory from one to the other as i keep most of my tunes i listen to on a day to day basis on the internal mem and my audio books on my sdhc card :slight_smile:

I use almost exclusivly ogg vorbis, I have been considering converting some of my audio books to other formats such as musepack that decode even faster and thus save batt life, but havent bothered since i get over20hrs a charge as it stands even on my older silver fuze :smiley:

My point was that for a lot of people there will always be a quality/quantity issue (whether you take quality to mean codec and compression or how good the song is I will leave up to you), even with a 32gb card.  As for swapping cards out - great with rockbox but I feel bad for the people waiting for the database refresh every time they want to hear a different genre.

yeah, well there are ways to shorten the OF firmware refresh, removing un-needed tags from files helps, but yeah thats one places sansa/sandisk’s support has sucked, they have failed to put features that some of their other devices have had into their current players, like background or whal loading db refresh, I can tell you, If they would do what they promised and put out a firmware that made it so you didnt need/want rockbox they would make some **bleep** good money off geeks who just want the best device for the price.

I still feel the clip+ and fuze are the best bang for your buck, but they really are alot nicer with rockbox, the fact that you can for example save bookmarks in audio books is wonderfull, the OF will only store 1 bookmark for an audio book and that go’s away with db refresh or firmware update(yuck)