how to record to external memory

I’m attending a lecture and would like to record it (The reason I bought the Fuse). I have been playing with it, but all voice recording are on the internal memory.  How do I record to the external Micro SD memory card.  I think I may need to use the two I bought.  Will my battery last that long?  Lecture will be about 6hrs.

I don’t think it’s possible to record directly to the external card. I would say just move everything from your internal to the external to clear room.:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:
I don’t think it’s possible to record directly to the external card. I would say just move everything from your internal to the external to clear room.:smiley:

I would take a wall charger so you can charge it and use it because you may be pushing the battery. Then if you have a laptop, when you take a break (I assume you will) just plug the player into the lappy and transfer the file to the Card. How big of a Fuze did you buy? You may not need to use the card if you got a larger size.

@conversionbox wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I would take a wall charger so you can charge it and use it because you may be pushing the battery. Then if you have a laptop, when you take a break (I assume you will) just plug the player into the lappy and transfer the file to the Card. How big of a Fuze did you buy? You may not need to use the card if you got a larger size.

oops…forgot about the battery part of the question

But aren’t the recordings in WAV.? That’s why I suggested clearing the memory…

@marvin_martian wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

oops…forgot about the battery part of the question

But aren’t the recordings in WAV.? That’s why I suggested clearing the memory…

Yeah they are but im thinkin the 8 gig would be fine.

Thank you for the info.  I need to buy a wall charger for the Fuze.  I bought a 4gb with 2 external micro sd’s 4gb each.  Wall charger is next on my list.  Once again thank you all.

Yoli

@pho2cats wrote:
I’m attending a lecture and would like to record it (The reason I bought the Fuse). I have been playing with it, but all voice recording are on the internal memory. How do I record to the external Micro SD memory card. I think I may need to use the two I bought. Will my battery last that long? Lecture will be about 6hrs.

I have made more than 20 voice recordings with the fuze and have become familiar with some of its close-range capabilities.

I believe it is possible to record only to internal memory, not directly to the micro SD card.

Second, my speculation is that on a full battery charge, a six-hour voice recording should not press the power limit: the longest recording of a dialogue I have made is 2.5 hours and I do not recall consumption was significant. The power-intensive video screen shuts off during recording according to your settings and I suspect recording to the uncompressed WAV format may be less cpu- and power-intensive than to some other formats.

Additionally, the math for the aforementioned two and a half hour recording came to a 172.4 MB file size per hour and, for a second, nigh hour and a half voice recording, to about 168.8 MB per hour. So, splitting the difference and multiplying by your prospective six hours, just over 1 GB of internal disk storage space should do it for a voice recording–and certainly well under 1.5 GB. If you’ve the free space, you shouldn’t need to worry about fooling with file transfers mid-lecture.

The Fuze mic picks up well in the under three-foot range in which I’ve used it. But it also picks up all other extraneous sounds and tends to amplify them: the sound of a nearby pencil across paper during note taking or a chair creaking. You may want to run a few tests at farther ranges and even in the lecture venue if feasible. It may be that best placement of your Fuze is on the lecturn or a desk nearest the lecturer if that’s allowable.

The lossless WAV format is easy to work with and if the lecture is one you plan to preserve, I would suggest keeping the original until you’ve made all the enhancements you might care to before discarding for a downsized format conversion.

With Abode Audition, for one, you can eliminate or mitigate extraneous sounds and boost any faint, desirable ones.

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20\_4-0.html?searchtype=downloads&query=adobe%252520audition

And there are many other less expensive or free editing programs which work seamlessly with the ubiquitous WAV format–and which will not with the compressed MP3 format, for example.

Finally, if you would, please post back to this thread and let me know your results:

1. What was your starting and ending battery power over the lecture?

2. How long was the recording and what was the file size(s)?

3. Most importantly, how would you judge the quality of the recording? Where did you place the Fuze relative to the speaker and how much extraneous noise did it pick up? How was the strength of the lecturer’s voice compared with other sounds?

When you are on the screen which is up while it is recording, it should tell you how long it can record for in one session. You may have to cut it up into a few shorter recordings. If you need it off the player, when you plug it into the computer, access it via explorer and go to the RECORD file, select VOICE, and your recordings will be labled as the date it was made. You can copy it out of the player that way.