ext3 filesystem on my sdhc card????

@gdanko wrote:

@ewelot wrote:

Back on topic. I believe, ext2/ext3 filesystems will never make it to a portable mp3 player because fat/vfat is a reasonable choice already. And it is well supported by Linux. The problem of renaming files/directories may well be related to the use of MTP mode connection (even on M$ systems). But even in MSC USB connection - which I use exclusively and without any such problem - I’d like to mention that there are several different mount options for vfat under Linux resulting in different file names.

What is your USB connection setting? How do you copy your files? How do you find/access them on the fuze?

I have Banshee mounting the Fuze as a USB storage device and the USB mode on the Fuze is “Auto”.

The mount info looks like this:

/dev/sdd1 on /media/FUZE SDHC type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)
/dev/sdc on /media/SANSA FUZE type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umask=077,flush)

Thanks for the info. At first I would recommend to preselect the desired USB connection mode. The “Auto” setting has been reported to possibly give some unexpected results, although I never tried by myself. If you intent to operate the fuze as an mp3 player (e.g. using amarok, rhythmbox or other MTP enabled applications) then you should select MTP mode. If you stick to simple MSC mode - as I do all the time - then setting MSC is highly recommended.

The only translation of file/directory names which happens on MSC USB connection is the handling of upper and lower case depending on the vfat mount options. Note that both reading and writing filenames can be affected and the appearance of file names on the fuze during folder browsing must not match the case of names visible on your mounted drive under Linux. This might well account for your first problem (“NOFX”).

I get the best matches by “win95” mount option on file transfer to and from the fuze. I never used utf8 mount option. Note that I’m running my Linux box in de_DE.UTF-8 locale.

If you do not copy files with the cp command but instead run some sophisticated GUI application then there is a fairly good chance that the application does some file/directory renaming on the fly during ripping files off the CD and maybe on copying too. This could result in the removal of the “-” character. I don’t use banshee, so you have to check its options by your own. Also I’d like to encourage you using cp to transfer some test files to the fuze and check if this works. Good luck!

Message Edited by ewelot on 06-29-2009 03:17 PM

EDIT: I didn’t insert the smiley above. And I don’t see it inside the editor window. Strange …  

Message Edited by ewelot on 06-29-2009 03:22 PM