Highlighted

ext3 filesystem on my sdhc card????

I am using Ubuntu Jaunty and Banshee 1.4.3 to sync my music collection to my Fuze. Banshee recognizes this device as a USB mass storage device where Ubuntu sees that it is a music player. The filesystem on the sdhc card is FAT32 but I am having bizarre issues syncing to it. ie; not all of the tracks are copied, some directories are renamed for some odd reason. I think it has to do with the primitive nature of FAT32.

Can the Fuze read an ext3 filesystem? If so, I'd love to format my sdhc as ext3 and probably achieve more success with Banshee.

Thanks!

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: ext3 filesystem on my sdhc card????

It can not. FAT32 is the only filesystem that is supported.
Highlighted

Well then this is not very Unix-friendly because FAT32 is an abysmally archaic filesystem.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Actually, it is very Linux friendly because FAT32 has been supported in Linux for ages. Look at it this way: it's better than NTFS.

However, I will say this: Ubuntu has not worked very well for me -- and this is one of the things that didn't work for me (I actually found myself reformatting the Fuze after trying it out in Ubunutu Jaunty Jackolope or whatever they call it). I'd suggest another distro that actually WORKS -- say, PCLinuxOS or Ark or Yoper or....

--Pikidalto
Highlighted

I'm using PCLinuxOS.

ext3 filesystem, or even ntfs, would be a bad idea for this type of device, due to file security. Whilst that's a good thing on a computer, on an external device like this, the simpler the better, and fat32 knows nothing about file ownership, etc.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

mkfs.vfat defaults to FAT16, btw...
Highlighted

I've found Ubuntu to be an awesome distro and this is a headless server with RAID and all my data on it so scrapping it for a new distro is out of the question. But when I used rsync to copy my tunes, "NOFX" became "nofx", an album named "80-85" became "8085" and so forth. I contend this is a FAT32 issue and have the means to test it on an external USB drive formatted ext3.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Couldn't it also be an rsync issue?

Also, who ever said that Sansas (or any mp3 players) were particularly Unix-friendly? 

Highlighted

I've never had this issue with rsync on any other filesystem!
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

The box says that the Fuze is Linux friendly, but it doesn't say anything about any other UNIX.

I've never had any trouble using my Fuze with Linux, and i've always used the default FAT32 filesystem on the Fuze. In fact, the only OS I have available to me is Linux. I will stand by what I said, though: Ubuntu is not a distro that has worked well for me, and my Fuze proves it (it's been reformatted almost every time I used it with *Ubuntu).

--Pikidalto