does fuze have quick/good fast forward for long mp3 or audiobooks?

I have a sansa view and the fast forward is terrible on it. I like to listen to audio books but the device

really does not have any support for it. Its not working as an audiobook device at all.

Is the fuze the same? How are teh rewind and fast forward features? 

Its amazing such a basic, standard, simple feature can go so wrong. 

My audio books are like 8 hours song, how do you imagine i get to the 3 hour mark without bookmarking 

or fast or at least accelerating fast forward lol. ridiculous. 

Anyway, im interested in getting a fuze even though smaller size, if it has good fast forward then I will be happy

with it and get an microsd card to have it hold more space. 

Why didn’t I get a fuze first? Because the sansa view has a bigger drive that’s it. I didn’t start listening to audiobooks

until recently and ran into this fast forward problem. :( 

Just press and hold Forward or Back key (right/left of 4Way-Wheel). The function works well for medium-sized files and acceptably for large ones.

Generally, the Fuze is one of the players best suited for audiobook-centric use I ever found, and I did search for a while.

E.g. if while playing an episode you accidentially press the Forward key for a short moment, the player skips to the next file

(as it should, assuming the keypress was on intent), but if you then press Back, it doesn’t start your previous file anew but continues exactly where you interrupted it. Same exact resume behaviour on power-off, even for large files; also there is a sleep mode programmable in 10min steps if you like to fall asleep while listening.  (The last one is a bit deep down in the menu tree but nevertheless.)

Most devices are sold with an older firmware that lacks folder navigation, so make sure to update to the latest firmware right after purchasing. Updating is very easy and seems to be quite low-risk (you rarely hear about bricked devices). 

• TE 

I have a sansa view, it works the same way but its horribly slow. one of my mp3’s is 8 hours long and i think it’ll take me 1 hour to get to the 3 hour mark lol. I don’t see that as acceptable. Firmware is latest firmware available, batteries are fully charged. 

Thanks for the info. I will consider getting a fuze, seems the company has worked more on the fuze firmware then on the sansa view.

An eight-hour mp3? You’re asking for trouble.

Why don’t you split it into manageable-size tracks with  CD Wave.

It’s free and it will split your mp3 into chunks of a certain length, or split it at silences, or split it as you choose. Then you can use mp3tagto put track numbers and tags on the smaller pieces. 

Thanks for the info. I like that idea. I went looking and found two programs for the mac that work.

mp3 trimmer Introduction

and amadeus HairerSoft - Audio editing and recording for MacOS X

Seems its the best thing i can do for now.

Black-Rectangle said:

Why don’t you split it into manageable-size tracks with  CD Wave.

It’s free and it will split your mp3 into chunks of a certain length, or split it at silences, or split it as you choose. Then you can use mp3tagto put track numbers and tags on the smaller pieces. 

I just checked the CD Wave link and it says that it can split .wav files but does not seem to indicate splitting of mp3 files.  It does say it can write mp3 files which I assume it means it can read a wav file, split it and then write it to mp3.

Can it read and split mp3 files also?

Thanks, Sky

Ah, you’re right. CDwave only does uncompressed files (.Flac, .wav, .ape and sony64).

So you’d have to blow it up to .wav and then split it, which would take considerable hard-drive space for an 8-hour mp3. 

Still, it’s easily done via different free software,  Audacity. Audacity is a sound editor–it will show you the waveform.  It’s obvious where the silences are for cutting. 

You still need .wav-size space, about 10x the size of the mp3 file, on a hard drive somewhere,  because Audacity converts to its own uncompresssed format, .aup, which is the size of a .wav file. Then you highlight each section and Export as mp3.

mp3DirectCut is another free mp3 editor which can split/re-save into multiple tracts with no (further) loss of audio quality. Windows only however… http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html