database refresh skip recyclebin/trash directories

Hi, using Fuze v01.01.22F.

Can you please skip the ‘RECYCLED’, ‘RECYCLER’, ‘.Trash*’ directories when refreshing the database with new mp3s?

I’m using ubuntu and when i delete a file from the fuze it moves the file to the directory named ‘.Trash-1000’. After i disconnect the cable from the pc, fuze seeks after new files and finds the deleted ones in the trash directory.

So now i have to empty the whole trash (including my hdd) every time before disconnecting fuze. 

using MSC mode.

Or instead of skipping the recyclebin have it delete the files automatically.

This sounds like a Linux issue. The Fuze has no ‘Trash’ folder to empty. Moli , you do know that you can delete songs/files directly on the Fuze without connecting to the computer, don’t you? When you encounter a song you don’t like or don’t want, all you have to do is press the 6 o’clock position on the scroll wheel to get the sub-menu. Here you will be given several options; one of which is DELETE.

I don’t reccommend this for large amounts of files as it’s been known to cause ‘freeze-ups’, but if you’re only wanting to get rid a 1 or 2 here & there, you can do it very easily without the computer at all. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

This sounds like a Linux issue. The Fuze has no ‘Trash’ folder to empty. Moli , you do know that you can delete songs/files directly on the Fuze without connecting to the computer, don’t you? When you encounter a song you don’t like or don’t want, all you have to do is press the 6 o’clock position on the scroll wheel to get the sub-menu. Here you will be given several options; one of which is DELETE.

I don’t reccommend this for large amounts of files as it’s been known to cause ‘freeze-ups’, but if you’re only wanting to get rid a 1 or 2 here & there, you can do it very easily without the computer at all. :wink:

It is a Linux issue, Moli, what do the icons on your desktop look like? Does it look like a removeable HDD or a music player?

I suspect it looks like a HDD and Linux is treating it as such, it creates a hidden .Trash folder whenever you delete a file. When Linux recognises the Fuze as a music player it doesn’t create the .Trash folder.

Do a lsusb to find out the USB ID of you Fuze, I believe it should be 0x74c0.

Have a look in the file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi, down in the Fuze section it should have your USB id, if it doesn’t then just add it.

Guys, this is NOT a linux issue.

Yes, i delete the files under linux (or windows or unix or macos or dos or os2 or… it is not important) using MSC (!) mode.

Yes, linux moves the files to a hidden directory called trash (or windows recycled or recycler or… it is not important).  

Yes, this is good for me, as i can recover my files anytime.  

Yes, i do not want to empty the trash.  

Yes, those files need to be there. In the hidden trash directory.

NO, fuze SHOULD NOT find files in the trash again and index them as new files. 

No, i do not want to use MTP mode. Never. 

No, i do not want to delete thousands of files with fuze one-by-one. I want to delete files with pc. 

I think it would be reasonable to ONLY index files that are where they are expected, like the Music or Video folders.

@donp wrote:

I think it would be reasonable to ONLY index files that are where they are expected, like the Music or Video folders.

Better probably to ignore hidden media files rather than mandate a given folder structure.

@skinjob wrote:

Better probably to ignore hidden media files rather than mandate a given folder structure.

The problem is that to hide a file in Windows you alter an attribute, to hide it in Linux you have a dot as the first chartacter, to hide it with a mac you throw it out the window and go get a decent computer.

With Linux, right click on the drive from the desktop and click ‘unmount’ or ‘eject’ and that will empty the trash folders.

I wondered why I don’t get the Trash folder issue, then I realised I use Midnight Commander to do all my file transfering and deleteing instead of the Gnome file manager.

It’s Gnomes fault, use mc :slight_smile:

hazza: mac :smiley:

yeah, i use mc often, but i’ve bought the player to my girlfr who uses nautilus or krusader. but this is extremely not the point in any way.

Gabe: unmount does not empty trash on ubuntu 8.10, but i did not saw this behaviour on any linux ever and it would not make any sense.

@hazza wrote:

@skinjob wrote:

The problem is that to hide a file in Windows you alter an attribute, to hide it in Linux you have a dot as the first chartacter, to hide it with a mac you throw it out the window and go get a decent computer.

Oh yeah, I forgot Linux ignores FAT file attributes.  There are tools to view/set the FAT attributes from Linux, but I guess that’s not very convenient for this situation.

@moli wrote:

hazza: mac :smiley:

yeah, i use mc often, but i’ve bought the player to my girlfr who uses nautilus or krusader. but this is extremely not the point in any way.

Gabe: unmount does not empty trash on ubuntu 8.10, but i did not saw this behaviour on any linux ever and it would not make any sense.

IIRC Dolphin offers to empty the trash on unmounting, if it finds one. I don’t have a trash folder though, 'cos I ALWAYS use ‘real’ delete, not ‘move to trash’.

I can’t understand why you would  keep a .trash folder on a PMP - why waste space for music when you can keep a backup much more securely on your host PC? And anyway, how many versions of .[Tt]rash, .[Ww]astebasket, RECYCLER, etc etc, and in how many languages, should the Fuze look for in order to find content that it should ignore?

The Fuze scans the entire folder structure for media content, which is exactly what it needs to do - otherwise there would  loads of posts here complaining ‘my Fuze says it’s full, but I can’t find anytracks!’ or ‘I put my album on the Fuze and now I can’t find it’.

@daytona955 wrote:

I can’t understand why you would  keep a .trash folder on a PMP - why waste space for music when you can keep a backup much more securely on your host PC? 

Same reason anyone does, so you can undelete if you click the wrong button.

The Fuze scans the entire folder structure for media content, which is exactly what it needs to do - otherwise there would  loads of posts here complaining ‘my Fuze says it’s full, but I can’t find anytracks!’ or ‘I put my album on the Fuze and now I can’t find it’.

We get those anyway. Now we can add those about the fuze finding files that have been deleted and a few more people sent over the edge of refresh taking too long, especially if they are using it as a portable drive in addition to music player.

@daytona955: IIRC Dolphin offers to empty the trash on unmounting.

why you would keep a .trash folder - just because. this is not the point. the point is: i do.

when anybody uses trash on his computer and deletes anything from fuze using msc mode and would like to keep his trash on his hdd (not fuze) he has this problem.

@donp: We get those anyway. - there you go. anyway.

refresh taking too long - skipping a file takes lot less time than parsing it