chirp between tracks

Uh, no.

Please try to respect others’ concerns by keeping posts on-topic.  Humor is fine, but trying to find a solution through numerous interjections can be quite irritating.

For this case, specifics about the original poster’s files are needed.

Not all audio files are the same.  There is information in the file that can cause issues, depending upon the encoder and format used.

µsansa

@neutron_bob wrote:

The chirp you are hearing may be caused by the data packet that is embedded into the mp3 file. 

The ID3 tag embedded in every mp3 and WMA file includes the album art, and metadata information, the album name, genre, artist, etc.

Note that this situation does not appear very often, which is a promising sign.

The burning questions are:  where are your audio files from, what was used to rip the mp3 or WMA file, and what format are the ID3 tags.  Somewhere in this combination lies the answer.

As a side note, does the album art display for these tracks?

Let us know the particulars about your music files, and we can pinpoint the issue in your case.

Normally, the Sansa will mute during the reading of the song data, but it’s possible that something is wrong in the header of your files.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

This is possible BUT there is no noise between tracks when the same files are played on my computer with Windows Media Player. I also checked the tracks with an editor, there is no noise at the beginning or ending of the tracks. The noise is only on the Fuze.

Amber

Amber,

WiMP handles the files differently than a portable device.  On the computer, the “virtual” player behaves differently than a DAP, as it’s running on a processor capable of many tasks, at a much faster clock rate.

In short, just because the song plays on the computer, this doesn’t assure that it will play “in the wild”.

At the clock rate that the Sansa is operating, the metadata passes by in milliseconds.  If there’s a bit set incorrectly, for example, the result can be a chirp, a brief pause, or a simple click.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-20-2009 09:02 PM

As others have pointed out, it could be due to the metadata embedded with the MP3.  Sometimes, tags other than ID3 are attached to MP3 files.  I’ve heard of APE tags and Quicktime tags causing problems like this.  When a player doesn’t know how to interpret them (in this case, the Fuze), it usually treats it as audio data, resulting in a momentary glitch or pop, typically near the beginning or end of the song (depending on where the tags are stored in the file.)
Players that recognize this data as tags (WMP) will just pass over this data. 

I’d try removing any unneeded tags / metadata from the affected files.  I’ve never had to use it myself, but I’ve heard MP3tag does a good job with this.

@jmr wrote:

As others have pointed out, it could be due to the metadata embedded with the MP3.  Sometimes, tags other than ID3 are attached to MP3 files.  I’ve heard of APE tags and Quicktime tags causing problems like this.  When a player doesn’t know how to interpret them (in this case, the Fuze), it usually treats it as audio data, resulting in a momentary glitch or pop, typically near the beginning or end of the song (depending on where the tags are stored in the file.)
Players that recognize this data as tags (WMP) will just pass over this data. 

I’d try removing any unneeded tags / metadata from the affected files.  I’ve never had to use it myself, but I’ve heard MP3tag does a good job with this.
Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

How would I remove unneeded tags or even find out what tags were attached to the files?

I get this ‘chirp’ sometimes, too.  I don’t recall it ever happening on my E280, or my Clip, but it happens fairly often on my Fuze.  Hadn’t occurred to me that it might be reading tag data as audio.

I only use MP3’s and only have ID3v2 tags on them (I erase everything else, including album art.)

I also have the latest firmware, but I did notice it happening before my last update, too

Message Edited by Odd_Bob on 02-21-2009 03:06 AM

@amberjean wrote:

How would I remove unneeded tags or even find out what tags were attached to the files?

MP3Tag.

One of the most incredibly useful programs I’ve ever discovered (for MP3’s, anway.)  And it’s free!

Download MP3Tag, and set it to  write your ID3 tags as ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Download MP3Tag, and set it to  write your ID3 tags as ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1.

I got MP3Tag, it looks like a very useful program There were V2 and V1 tags on the files. I removed the V1 tags.

Can I remove the tags on the files on the Fuze when it is connected, or do I have to upload the files again?

Dont remove the tags. They are what tell you player Song Title Album name and Artist, so if you need that stuff you have to have tags, what you need to do is to leave only this info on the tag. So Make sure the Title Artist and Album are set correctly, then save them to your computer. I would suggest removing the files that have this issue from the player and then adding the ones whose tags you fixed back to the player. Some have suggested that you can tag the files on the player but I dont want to try it.

Dont remove the tags. They are what tell you player Song Title Album name and Artist, so if you need that stuff you have to have tags, what you need to do is to leave only this info on the tag. So Make sure the Title Artist and Album are set correctly, then save them to your computer. I would suggest removing the files that have this issue from the player and then adding the ones whose tags you fixed back to the player. Some have suggested that you can tag the files on the player but I dont want to try it.

I also have recently been interupted between chapters of an audio book with a chirp.  In my case I think this is to do with my using Mp3 Merger, which I have used to merge tracks into chapters.  After doing this I have used Mp3Tag to set everything correct for the Fuze…  

My mp3 audiobook files did have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. After I removed the v1 tags there was no more chirp between files. Thanks for the help explaining this.

Amber

Cool, isn’t it?  Working with the new processor, I’ve spent a lot of time experimenting with the ID3 structure and formats.

I noticed that I could hear artifacts after juggling the metadata and album art on some tracks.

MP3Tag is quite useful to remove the unnecessary formats, writing the ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) data that the Sansa is happiest with. 

Glad to hear that your ears are now happy!

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Regardless of what everyone else says, this IS a bug in the firmware. I just downloaded a podcast of this american life,  (http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/205.mp3) and there is a lovely chirp at the end. Then I tried the file on my 5 year old iRiver IHP120 and NO CHIRP. SO, I’ve got a 5 year old mp3 player that can do gapless playback and plays back clean audio, and a brand new mp3 player that pauses between tracks and adds chirps when it can’t parse an ID3 tag. 

Hurry Rockbox, please!

Nobody was denying its a bug. All we did was offer a workaround. And BTW Rockbox is not a Silver bullet. Perhaps the next Firmware from Sansa will fix the Chirp, maybe it wont, try the work around. I would bet your old player uses folder navigation and does not read Tags. The Fuze only reads tags. Fix the tags Fix the Chirp.

Ill download the file and take a look at it.

@sansafix wrote:
Ill download the file and take a look at it.

The issue is where some fuzes seem to mute themselves at the end of a file when the tag is read for the next file, some dont and you instead hear a chirp. Modifying the tag so all it has is Artist, album and Title, fixes the problem, but in reality is a bandaid effect.

I realize I can re-edit the tags on every podcast I download to make them “Fuze Friendly”, but I’d rather not have to, nor should I have to.

I definitally agree it annoys the ■■■■ out of me having to do it. But for now I just have to deal. Sansafix is looking at it, he will be the person that provides a solution or adds a fix to the Firmware.