(another) album art probem

hi I’m new here and I’m sorry if this question has been asked million times but I did search and my problem still can’t be solved

the question is, I connected my Fuze in MTP mode, used both Media Monkey and WMP11 to import files, but sometimes album arts show up, sometimes they don’t. Each file has album art embedded and each  album folder has folder.jpg or Album Art.jpg and an .alb file in it. All of the images are 120x120 and under 50kb.

please help me, I’m tired of delete and sync everything over and over :cry:

thank you for reading :smiley:

I tried both MSC and MTP mode but some album arts still never show up while others do

what should I do? someone please help me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

There has to be some difference between the ones that display the album art and the ones that don’t. That, of course is the $64,000 question.

Are they all .mp3 format?

Is there any correlation to whether they are downloaded and/or ripped from CDs?

How about bit-rate? This one is a long shot (I’m getting tired), but is all your music ripped at the same bit-rate and/or is some VBR (variable bit-rate) and some CBR (constant bit-rate)?

Have some ID3 tags been edited with one program and some ith another?

Are all the ID3 tags the same format? (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ISO vs. UTF, APEv2, etc.)

I would go through the songs one by one and write down whether it displays album art or not, and all the details about the file and/or the ID3tag. See what’s different and what’s the same. Seeing all the data written down on a sheet of paper may help you ‘see’ the problem and figure it out.

Good Luck!

There has to be some difference between the ones that display the album art and the ones that don’t. That, of course is the $64,000 question.

Are they all .mp3 format?

Is there any correlation to whether they are downloaded and/or ripped from CDs?

How about bit-rate? This one is a long shot (I’m getting tired), but is all your music ripped at the same bit-rate and/or is some VBR (variable bit-rate) and some CBR (constant bit-rate)?

Have some ID3 tags been edited with one program and some with another?

Are all the ID3 tags the same format? (ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ISO vs. UTF, APEv2, etc.)

I would go through the songs one by one and write down whether it displays album art or not, and all the details about the file and/or the ID3tag. See what’s different and what’s the same. Seeing all the data written down on a sheet of paper may help you ‘see’ the problem and figure it out.

Good Luck!

thank you for your reply :smiley:

they’re all downloaded, have both ID3v1 and v2 with album art embedded, 128->320kbps CBR Lame mp3. I’m using Photoshop CS2 to edit covers and Media Monkey to edit mp3 tags. Cover image is named folder.jpg or Album Art.jpg and there’s also an .alb file in album folder, but either the small cover in list or the big cover inside shows up, they just won’t display together :cry:

1. Make sure all your tags are ID3v2.3 ISO-88559-1 ( no UTF). The combo (ID3v1, ID3v2.3) tag is OK, but you don’t want some that are v1 & some that are the v2.3. Media Monkey may be allright, but a dedicated tagging program like MP3TAG is specifically designed to do one thing; and do it correctly. Tag music files. And it’s free.
  2. I would be suspicious of using Photoshop to ‘edit’ or modify the album art images. It may save the result in a format (although it may still be .jpg) that the Fuze has a problem reading (there are different versions of the .jpg format). There should be no need to modify or try to enhance these miniscule images anyway. Whatever changes you make on an image is most likely not going to be visible in it’s displayed size on the Fuze’s screen. The maximum size for any album art image should only be around 200 x 200 (or even less). Anything larger than that is only going to be reduced to the displayed size, compacting (or squeezing) the image even further, resulting in less distinction and clarity (just the opposite of what you want). Also if the image is too big, the Fuze won’t even display it at all. It’s just too big to deal with.
  3. Pick one name for your art files and stick with it. I have all of mine as ‘album art.jpg’. I have multiple e200 series players and they all work for me. Then the Fuze came out, and everybody said now the album art _ has _ to be labeled ‘folder.jpg’. Is there a difference and does the Fuze have a preference? I haven’t a clue. I certainly am not going to go through several hundred albums and add another ‘folder.jpg’ file to every album folder! I recently got a Fuze and haven’t honestly had a lot of time to play with it yet. I did put a few files on it and it seemed to display the ‘album art.jpg’ files fine. They may both work, but I wouldn’t have a combination of the two. I’d name them one or the other and stick with it.
  4. Also I wouldn’t try to ‘hedge your bet’ by having _ both _ embedded album art and a separate ‘album art.jpg’ file in each album folder. This could be causing confusion in the Fuze’s wee brain, “Which one do I look at, this one or that?” (ryhme un-intentional) :smiley: Again, one or the other; there’s no need for both. Supposedly, with the latest Firmware release, embedded album art support was added for .mp3 files, but I’ve read in the last few days that this may not be 100% fixed yet. So if you already have an ‘added’ art file in all of your album folders anyway, you may want to remove the ‘embedded’ art in the ID3tag. This is also something MP3TAG can do fo you.

EDIT: I just took a look at the sample songs that came pre-installed on my Fuze. There is an ALBUMS folder. This is different from the e200 series players. This is not the ALBUM folder I was referring to when discussing where the ‘album art.jpg’ file should be located. That would be in the MUSIC/ARTIST/ALBUM folder alongside the music files themselves.

This new ALBUMS folder is in the root directory alongside of the MUSIC, PHOTO, VIDEO, & SERVICE folders. This is a ‘hidden’ folder and contains .alb files of all the music that is loaded on the player.

I also brought these pre-installed music files up in MP3TAG. All of them were indeed the combo (ID3v1, ID3v2.3) tag and all of them had the album art ‘embedded’.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 10-19-2008 11:45 AM

o_____o

yes the problem is jpg file, I saved them in jpg ‘progressive’ format instead of ‘baseline’ >___< (but it’s weird since some ‘progressive’ actually did work). Now everything is great XDDDD

thank you thank you thank you thank youuuuu~

Another I’d like to add here. I’ve started to add embedded art to my files, but it refuses to show it as the “album” art when you’re browsing in the artist and album menu, even though every son has the exact same picture embedded. Is there any solution for this (besides having to put an external picture there as well?), or is it being worked on for a future firmware update?

Thanks

@eiyuu wrote:

yes the problem is jpg file, I saved them in jpg ‘progressive’ format instead of ‘baseline’

Glad to hear you were able to get it figured out and make things right! :smiley:

‘Embedded’ album art in .mp3’s was supposedly one of the issues fixed in the latest .15 firmware update a couple of weeks ago. There was someone else to was also still having a problem with it, so maybe it’s not quite fixed yet?

Stay tuned . . .

@rizzly wrote:

I’ve started to add embedded art to my files, but it refuses to show it as the “album” art when you’re browsing in the artist and album menu, even though every son has the exact same picture embedded. Is there any solution for this (besides having to put an external picture there as well?), or is it being worked on for a future firmware update?

Make sure your ‘Display Art in Lists’ option is turned on in SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS. 

‘Embedded’ album art in .mp3’s was supposedly one of the issues fixed in the latest .15 firmware update a couple of weeks ago. There was someone else to was also still having a problem with it, so maybe it’s not quite fixed yet?

Stay tuned . . .

@tapeworm wrote:

I would be suspicious of using Photoshop to ‘edit’ or modify the album art images. It may save the result in a format (although it may still be .jpg) that the Fuze has a problem reading (there are different versions of the .jpg format). There should be no need to modify or try to enhance these miniscule images anyway. Whatever changes you make on an image is most likely not going to be visible in it’s displayed size on the Fuze’s screen. The maximum size for any album art image should only be around 200 x 200 (or even less). Anything larger than that is only going to be reduced to the displayed size, compacting (or squeezing) the image even further, resulting in less distinction and clarity (just the opposite of what you want). Also if the image is too big, the Fuze won’t even display it at all. It’s just too big to deal with.

I used microsoft office photo manager to compress and “fix” pictures and it actually works quite well. Just can’t see images in list mode.

Nope, not working. It seems it isn’t quite fixed yet.

btw someone from anythingbutipod forum found out the actual pixel of album art Fuze displays in full mode, it’s 120x120, resize yours and it will look much much better XDDD

I new to this particular forum having since owned a e260. My problem is similar i think…

I have a Fuze and I use Media Monkey also. I don’t use windows media player at all. I had an e260 before and every single album had album art. When I got my 4gb Fuze I synced with Media monkey and put the all the same albums and songs on to the Fuze. All 4gb transfered just fine and everything is exactly the same as the old player except the fuze doesn’t show ANY album art, not even one. I am surprise that absolutely no art made it to the fuze and I am wondering what is the first thing I should check? Perhaps someone can walk me through this.

Thanks in advance

Logan

hmmm…downloaded album cover off amazon…resized to 120x120, saved as baseline jpeg…yet still doesn’t show up…weird.

One album art does show up…but i have no idea why…even if i look at the properties between that one and one that doesn’t work. 

Message Edited by vice86 on 12-11-2008 06:05 PM

@eiyuu wrote:

o_____o

yes the problem is jpg file, I saved them in jpg ‘progressive’ format instead of ‘baseline’ >___< (but it’s weird since some ‘progressive’ actually did work). Now everything is great XDDDD

thank you thank you thank you thank youuuuu~

How were you able to tell if the file was baseline or progresive? I have the same problem with album art not showing up and was wondering if the jpg format might be the problem

If you use Imagemagick you can invoke the command identify. I made a neat litte .bat file that will do this. Just copy and paste into a text editor and save on your desktop as identify.cmd

@echo off  
identify -verbose %1  
pause

Drag and drop your image over this file on your desktop and a command line window will open with all kinds of information, including if a file is interlaced or not!

Imagemagick can also be used to convert your larger album art images to smaller thumbnails. Since using Imagemagick (along with Mp3Tag) I never have any album art issues.

HTH

@ryanthadude wrote:

If you use Imagemagick you can invoke the command identify. I made a neat litte .bat file that will do this. Just copy and paste into a text editor and save on your desktop as identify.cmd

@echo off
identify -verbose %1
pause

Drag and drop your image over this file on your desktop and a command line window will open with all kinds of information, including if a file is interlaced or not!

Imagemagick can also be used to convert your larger album art images to smaller thumbnails. Since using Imagemagick (along with Mp3Tag) I never have any album art issues.

HTH

Wow, I feel really stupid for asking this but how am I supposed to download it if I have windows xp? It’s so confusing!

For what it’s worth, I have found a (to date) fool proof way to add artwork.

Like many others, I was getting limited success with the various solutions.  It strikes me that there are a vast number of potential combinations involved ie, ID tags (WMA, ID3 etc), process used to convert (WMP, MediaMonkey etc) and USB mode.

The method I have found that works without fail is simply to use Mp3tag to paste the artwork in - The actual files (albums) are on my Fuze so I’m adding the artwork directly to the device post-synch.  It takes a while to save the tag data but it works and that’s what matters :smiley:

To put this  method into perspective: I have a Fuze 8g, the mp3s have been ripped using either WMP 11 or MediaMonkey (or copy from something like Limewire)’ I’m running the Fuze under MSC mode and the mp3s appear in Mp3tag as either WMAs or ID3s (dependent upon their soucre).

Hope this helps someone.

I normally get the artwork from either Wiki or Amazon - either of which will normally have decent jpegs to copy.  Only on a few ocassions have I had to source the artwork from elsewhere.