a 12" fall ruined my fuze? you got to be joking!

So the other day, i dropped my fuze on the ground in my room, off my bed. My bed is just a mattress on the floor, no bed frame, and i have high quality, thick silver carpet (about 3/4" thick) The screen is white and won’t work. so i emailed the support and told them what happened. According to them the fall from a foot of the floor onto THICK carpeting was the reason it broke…excuse me? if that is the case, the product is ■■■■. I can send pictures of the carpet and my bed to show that it isn’t even knee high! Ill send in a piece of my carpet. If your product is broken from falling 12 INCHES into padded flooring, what does this say about your product? its ■■■■!

Please explain to me how this could be the freaking reason its broken, especially since this has been a VERY common problem the past few months. 

Try a couple things First being the soft reset which is slide the power switch up and hold it for 15-20 seconds. If that doesn’t work, hook it up to the computer and try to reload the firmware. If you do that and get no results use your computer to format the player and then reinstall the firmware again. If these all fail, Call Sandisk back and dont tell them about the fall and see if they replace it.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 07-29-2009 06:38 PM

I already did those things and told them about the fall. I don’t feel as if i can really do that though, since wouldn’t it be lying? I mean i swear its not the cause of the damage, since really… is that possible? I have dropped it manyimes from the bed and no problems… i don’t know. It irritates me :frowning:

Oh, sorry about the original post, i was a little…insenced (sp?)

If they refuse to repair it (rightfully so, I hate to say), pull it apart and make sure the cable running from the LCD to the mainboard is connected and seated. Such things can easily fall out even from a small drop – I once had a laptop that had this problem, without even having to drop it, I fixed it with a dab of superglue.

Don’t do this unless you really know what you’re doing though, and after you’ve tried your absolute hardest to get Sansa to fix it, because once you open it there’s no way they will work on it. You can google around for instructions on taking one apart.

No Its best if i don’t mess with it. That would just be disasterous. I don’t understand how something could break by dropping a foot down into highly padded flooring while they sent it to me not even wrapped in bubblewrap

You said yourself you’ve dropped it many times. Maybe the damage was cumulative.

And if you told Sandisk that this wasn’t the first time you dropped it, I gotta agree with mngrif. They had every right to refuse warranty replacement.

EDIT: Something else just occurred to me: You said it wasn’t even wrapped in bubble wrap. How was it packaged, and where did you buy it? If it was a refurbished unit, Sandisk isn’t responsible for warranty service anyway. Whoever you bought it from is responsible (and usually for a much shorter time than the factory warranty).

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 07-29-2009 08:03 PM

you might get away with it if you follow conversionbox’s suggestion.  since you said that it is carpeted, there should be no physical evidence that the player was ever dropped.  The thing is, you already told them you dropped it. 

@emmnemms wrote:

So the other day, i dropped my fuze on the ground in my room, off my bed. My bed is just a mattress on the floor, no bed frame, and i have high quality, thick silver carpet (about 3/4" thick)

Ahhh . . . that’s your problem! If your carpet was blue, or mauve or even basic beige it would’ve survived the fall. It just doesn’t like silver. :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

@emmnemms wrote:

So the other day, i dropped my fuze on the ground in my room, off my bed. My bed is just a mattress on the floor, no bed frame, and i have high quality, thick silver carpet (about 3/4" thick)

Ahhh . . . that’s your problem! If your carpet was blue, or mauve or even basic beige it would’ve survived the fall. It just doesn’t like silver. :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah, mine has fallen on beige carpet dozens of times and it still works. Concrete too! In fact, one time it fell out of my hand while my hand was moving at a high rate of speed (“thrown”, if you will) and it hit concrete! Still works! I take back all I said, the problem is definitely the color of the carpet here!

Well, i guess they wanted to shut me up… I got an RMA#…? and i didn’t even through a fit or anything…hmmm

You should consider getting a dlo action jacket for your replacement.  It’s made of neoprene.

Next time it falls off your mattress, it may just hit the carpet and bounce back on your bed! :smileyvery-happy:

@mags1230 wrote:

You should consider getting a dlo action jacket for your replacement.  It’s made of neoprene.

Next time it falls off your mattress, it may just hit the carpet and bounce back on your bed! :smileyvery-happy:

Just make sure you don’t get the silver one.