XP issue

i’ve read most the posts about xp not working. i got it to work on my bothers computer when visiting him. he copied all my music and audio books to his computer then reformated the fuze.

when i got home my xp pro sp 2 will not see the fuze in the auto mode or mtp; when i change the msc i can see the fuse and my extra 8 gig card. BUT, i can’t see any of the music.

i have music on the ‘native’ 8 gig that is built in that will be lost if i have to reformat it again.

i did some searches and even tried it on my ‘debian’ linux machine with the same results listed above.

gosh! you’d think if sandisk wanted to keep people they’d put a patch out to fix this thing. i’ve got 2 cameras that don’t have an issue, my usb scanner works fine, my 3 ‘thumb’ drive work great. it can’t be that hard.

MTP mode connects to Windows Media Player, but it has to be WMP 10 or 11. 

XP came with Windows Media Player 9. Upgrade it to WMP 10 or 11 at Microsoft

and the songs should appear. 

Your computer can see only one mode at a time: MSC (where your songs aren’t) or MTP (where they are but you need WMP 10 or 11). 

@learnerxyz wrote:

i’ve read most the posts about xp not working. i got it to work on my bothers computer when visiting him. he copied all my music and audio books to his computer then reformated the fuze.

when i got home my xp pro sp 2 will not see the fuze in the auto mode or mtp; when i change the msc i can see the fuse and my extra 8 gig card. BUT, i can’t see any of the music.

i have music on the ‘native’ 8 gig that is built in that will be lost if i have to reformat it again.

i did some searches and even tried it on my ‘debian’ linux machine with the same results listed above.

gosh! you’d think if sandisk wanted to keep people they’d put a patch out to fix this thing. i’ve got 2 cameras that don’t have an issue, my usb scanner works fine, my 3 ‘thumb’ drive work great. it can’t be that hard.

your cameras scanners and thumb drives are MSC devices. MTP is a Windows media player and rhapsody thing. So Id you Download and install Windows Media PLayer 11, or you go to Microsofts site and get the MTP porting kit, it should work fine.

thanks

somehow when i upgraded my processor, memory and harddrive on my xp pro machine, xp  wont let me validate to get wmp 11 and i’ll be da**ed if i’m going to pay them more money! it tookquite a bit of work to get around my upgrade.

so are there anyother solutions? i can see why ipod is so popular cuase my brother doesn’t have this issue at all

mtp porting kits. hope it doesn’t require vaidation! thanks though

nope they want a validation too. i’m not paying a dime more

anyone know how to make linux work with this device. 

@learnerxyz wrote:

Yep. Just use the msc mode. Rythmbox works just fine to synchronise, although I prefer to have my music organised by folders (named artist-album) including the art cover as “folder.jpg”

@learnerxyz wrote:

If all the music and books were copied onto his computer then what is it that you will lose if you reformat? The simplest solution for you is copy anything on your machine onto his computer, format the player, switch to MSC, then add everything again, and it’ll work on your own computer then.

I don’t understand… do you lose your music when switching to mtp mode?

@flocon wrote:
I don’t understand… do you lose your music when switching to mtp mode?

No. Just the ability to see the files added in MTP mode. Files are only visible & accessible in the mode in which they were transferred to the player in.

The suggestions you’ve been given is a work-around of sorts. Since you can’t (or won’t) upgrade to WMP 10 or 11, the concensus is to simply use MSC mode.

Which, even without your current situation, is a marvelous idea. There is life after WMP. You don’t need it. :wink:

thanks and i would but he’s 900 miles away… so???

no music lost yet. i see if fine on the fuze, but when i go to the mcp mode i don’t see it - odd

thanks. i would upgrade but i’m not going to give M$ another dime when i have a legit copy of xp, unless there is a workaround for vaidation. soapbox: i should be able to upgrade my box w/o all the flipping hassle M$ creates!

i wonder if there is a thrid party solution to the MTP situation

It IS possible to get your Windows validated without paying anything. I’ve done it myself a couple of times. Call MS tech support and explain that you’ve replaced some parts in your computer, and they should give you a special extra-long activation key that will let XP validate on your new hardware.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 04-01-2009 12:45 PM

@learnerxyz wrote:

thanks. i would upgrade but i’m not going to give M$ another dime when i have a legit copy of xp, unless there is a workaround for vaidation. soapbox: i should be able to upgrade my box w/o all the flipping hassle M$ creates!

i wonder if there is a thrid party solution to the MTP situation

Call them. Explain that your hard Drive is the same and that you did some other hardware upgrades, and that yyour Windows for some reason windows thinks its not valid. I have done this in the past and they gave me a validation number.

@learnerxyz wrote:

nope they want a validation too. i’m not paying a dime more

learnerxyz, are you still up here in the forum? If you didn’t manage your issue with the other posters suggestions or still are interested to try out how things work with Linux, just let me know. I am using the Fuze with my Debian Linux computer with no major problems in MSC mode (managed to work in MTP also, but only used for backing up files from Fuze to PC).