Wind noise - Which ear canal earbuds under $30 would you recommend?

I’d recommend the AI-M9 or AI-M6 from meelec.com.  Though they do have powerful bass, it doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the sound spectrum.  I love them for their detail, and great, bright mids and highs. 

The “experts” at head-fi.org greatly prefer them to the EP-630’s, which are supposed to have really strong bloated bass.  I remember when they were released, it was rumored that they were rebrands of the Sennheiser CX300 drivers - which do suffer from bloated bass at the expense of all else.

The M9 and M6 have the same drivers.  The only difference is the casing with the M9’s being easier to wear normal and the M6 made to wear with the wires running over the ears.  Supposedly, it’s easier to get a better fit with the M6’s.  I have the M9’s already, but am tempted to get the new clear M6’s because they look so sweet.  The M9’s are about $20 shipped, with the M6’s being $40.  In the US you can buy them from newegg.com and overstock.com - but I’m told you can order them internationally from meelec.com.  They just improved the cables and you probably want to order directly from meelec.com anyway to make sure you get the newer silvery (less microphonic) cables.

That said, you might want to wait for reviews on the new R1 and M11 which were just released.  Also - if you want to get into way too much detail on this topic, research the following forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/

You’ll find lots of unbiased reviews of the ep-630, and the meelectronics headphones.  Plus a bazillion other headphones.

Message Edited by PolloLoco on 10-03-2009 11:29 AM

Message Edited by PolloLoco on 10-03-2009 11:34 AM