Why isn't there a 16 GB Fuze?

I thought the reason was the 4,000 song limit, and that once it would be expanded to 8,000 songs a 16 GB Fuze would appear soon. There are many people who want 32 GB or more of storage in a player. I wonder why we haven’t seen  players from Sandisk with a full sized SDHC card slot, or players with more than one card slot. When will SDXC cards appear? I hope that players which take SDXC cards appear well before the first SDXC cards are released.

Message Edited by JK98 on 08-31-2009 07:58 PM

IMO, reading the Clip+ press release, Sansa’s positioning as a “budget player” brand for the low cost/price sub-$100 market. Still, it’s puzzling that with 16gb flash memory now so inexpensive they can’t see fit to produce a 16gb model in the ~$100 price range.

Furthermore,  I’m puzzled why they don’t go after a high capacity budget market. A 32gb Clip/Fuze expandable to 48gb (and eventually 64gb) priced under $200 (below the Nano 16gb) would be a huge “budget player” for those with high capacity needs. We live in a world of cheap home media storage in the hundreds of GBs and high bitrate (or lossless) media collections. Flash portables need to keepup with these changes.

Agreed.  The second they released an 8GB Clip, they should have released a 16GB or 32GB Fuze.

The 8,000 song limit means that many who use 128 kbps(still very commonly used) won’t be able to properly take advantage of more than 32 GB, so it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to have a 32 GB Fuze until the song limit is enlarged. Let’s see them get to 16 GB first before thinking about 32 GB. The highest capacity flash based players from other makers is now 32 GB, so having the Fuze being able to reach 32 GB might help the Fuze take some market share from the high priced 32 GB players. I think Sandisk should work on having a player with 32 GB of built in memory, and a full sized SDXC card slot. There are many people who want a flash memory based player with 64 GB or more of storage.

I certainly _wouldn’t be the first to buy a 32 GB player, but I most certainly wouldn’t be _far behind. I mean, with 64 GB of memory, even I would have a hard time filling it up.

Message Edited by Yadam on 09-02-2009 12:39 PM

@yadam wrote:
I certainly _wouldn’t be the first to buy a 32 GB player, but I most certainly wouldn’t be _far behind. I mean, with 64 GB of memory, even I would have a hard time filling it up.
Message Edited by Yadam on 09-02-2009 12:39 PM

Really?  I have 72gb of movies on various cards (so I don’t have to reconvert them).  Okay so they do take a lot of memory, but still…

Plus my 8gb card is almost full because I put a bunch of motivational things on it.  and of course Music (main reason I got it).  Podcasts.  Audiobooks.  No movies on this one. … I knew I should have got the 16gb card…

@jk98 wrote:
The 8,000 song limit means that many who use 128 kbps(still very commonly used) won’t be able to properly take advantage of more than 32 GB, so it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to have a 32 GB Fuze until the song limit is enlarged. Let’s see them get to 16 GB first before thinking about 32 GB. The highest capacity flash based players from other makers is now 32 GB, so having the Fuze being able to reach 32 GB might help the Fuze take some market share from the high priced 32 GB players. I think Sandisk should work on having a player with 32 GB of built in memory, and a full sized SDXC card slot. There are many people who want a flash memory based player with 64 GB or more of storage.

That’s a good point, but remember that this is a player that supports FLAC and video (well, sort of).  The FLAC support is great, but not very practical on an 8GB player.

Why isn’t there a 16gb Fuze? Because Sansa hasn’t made one yet. Simple, really.

I am sure there will be one eventually… or something else with 16GB’s and an expansion slot.

@jk98 wrote:

There are many people who want a flash memory based player with 64 GB or more of storage.

+1

… Edit to add – 32gb flash now retails in some forms for less than $50. It’s not like a 32 player with an SD slot would have to be terribly expensive.

Message Edited by Robisan on 09-04-2009 11:12 PM

@robisan wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

There are many people who want a flash memory based player with 64 GB or more of storage.

+1

… Edit to add – 32gb flash now retails in some forms for less than $50. It’s not like a 32 player with an SD slot would have to be terribly expensive.

Message Edited by Robisan on 09-04-2009 11:12 PM

I’m still amazed how many people “flock” ( get it? ) to the store to pay $300-400 for 32GB players without card slots…all because they can check their email and run fart apps :dizzy_face:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I’m still amazed how many people “flock” ( get it? ) to the store to pay $300-400 for 32GB players without card slots…all because they can check their email and run fart apps :dizzy_face:

I guess the ‘value’ of such multi-functionality in one small package is in the eye of the beholder. Clearly devices with wifi that enable web browsing, email and multiple apps are an entirely different market than the one Sansa is competing in.  There’s really no reason that a simple music and video player with 32gb on board can’t be profitably produced/retailed for +/-$150, yet, as far as I’m aware, Creative is the manufacturer offering a basic 32gb music/video player at any price.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I’m amazed that you got that past the smut filter! :stuck_out_tongue:

What is a fart app? 

Reminds me of something Elroy wrote in the Jetsons, " eep op ork a a".

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

What is a fart app? 

The poop, as it were.

More poop.

Still more poop.

It’s simply amazing what ‘civilization’ has come to!

@neutron_bob wrote:

What is a fart app? 

The poop, as it were.

More poop.

Still more poop.

It’s simply amazing what ‘civilization’ has come to! :dizzy_face:

Really? 10 grand a day for "    " Apps?

Who would want that?

I think another very real limitation is the refresh time after you connect the Fuze to a computer (heh, or crash). The time it takes is proportional to how many files are on the device. I don’t have too much on my device so it doesn’t take that long, and I’m fine with that. That said, can you imagine how it would take to refresh a full 64gb Fuze? Especially if you subscribe to short, daily podcasts and/or only charge with a PC.

A 5-minute refresh every single day would be a dealbreaker for me.

@peach wrote:

I think another very real limitation is the refresh time after you connect the Fuze to a computer (heh, or crash). The time it takes is proportional to how many files are on the device. I don’t have too much on my device so it doesn’t take that long, and I’m fine with that. That said, can you imagine how it would take to refresh a full 64gb Fuze? Especially if you subscribe to short, daily podcasts and/or only charge with a PC.

That’s where multiple players come in handy. Keep a 1 or 2GB Clip around for your podcasts…problem solved!:wink:

@peach wrote:

That said, can you imagine how it would take to refresh a full 64gb Fuze?

I’d like to have that problem.

@peach wrote:

5 Minutes wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

In 5 minutes at work I can go to the ladies room and return to my Fuze… go check faxes or organize paperwork… take the elevator down to have lunch and then put my fuze to what I wanted… (don’t ask me why the elevator takes so long)… take the elevator down to my car, walk to my car, turn on my car, plug it in and listen to the podcast I want…

At home, pop some popcorn and get settled nicely to listen to an audiobook… play a quick game of pinball on my netbook… shut down my netbook and put it away and unplug then putaway all cords I don’t need anymore… write a quick entry in my journal…