White Screen

I have a Sansa FUZE 2GB, with 1.01.11 firmware that displays only a white screen. The ring sometimes glows blue but always a white screen. This was a Christmas gift to grandson and I would like to make it work. Any help?

runningbrave

Message Edited by runningbrave on 03-16-2009 03:43 PM

Two things. First Go to the options menu at the top right corner of your post and choose Edit. Then Remove your e-mail, this is a public site and spammers will get it.

Second plug it in and do a manual firmware update. This solves the problem for most folks.

How do I perform a manual upgrade?

Runningbrave

Everything you need to know is in the first post of this thread.  Sansa Firmware Updater

For some reason it would not allow me to drag-n-drop the bin file. I was able to do a copy and paste into the “internal memory folder” and did the manual update from there but it did not work. When I power up the device I get the same WSOD as before.

Any more ideas before I chuck it into the trash?

@runningbrave wrote:

For some reason it would not allow me to drag-n-drop the bin file. I was able to do a copy and paste into the “internal memory folder” and did the manual update from there but it did not work. When I power up the device I get the same WSOD as before.

Any more ideas before I chuck it into the trash?

Your Fuze needs to be in MSC mode first, then, the bin file doesn’t go in any specific folder…just in the root directory.

I can’t read the display in order to place it in MSC mode. All I see is a white screen. Can the mode be changed from the computer?

Have you tried holding up the power button until the player shuts itself off? It’s kind of a reset that works more often that I would have ever thought…

@runningbrave wrote:
I can’t read the display in order to place it in MSC mode. All I see is a white screen. Can the mode be changed from the computer?

From another thread, Neutron_Bob explained how to put it in MSC without the screen:

"Starting with the Fuze OFF, slide the power switch to the HOLD position (orange showing). Press and hold the center button down while connecting to the USB port. You should hear the familiar ba-ding sound as the device is recognized, and it should show up on the screen. At this point, release the button. "

Message Edited by Baz on 03-16-2009 11:58 PM

I did as you suggested and it did allow me to drag/drop the .bin file into the root but I still have this WSOD staring at me. I think this is a hardware failure and will have to get this replaced. Thank you for all your help, everyone.

@runningbrave wrote:
I did as you suggested and it did allow me to drag/drop the .bin file into the root but I still have this WSOD staring at me. I think this is a hardware failure and will have to get this replaced. Thank you for all your help, everyone.

Good luck!

@runningbrave wrote:

When you unplug the cable after copying the file and telling windows to ‘safely remove’ the fuze, leave it turned on and don’t press anything for 10 mins, to allow the firmware to update. If you did this, maybe you have the other revision of Fuze, there is a firmware file for each of the 2 revisions…

Good luck!