Which tag does "rate song" alter

Which tag does “rate song” alter?

I.e., say I “rate” a song “5 stars” using the Fuze. Which MP3 Tag does that 5 star rating get entered into?

I “rated” some mp3’s using my Fuze, then viewed these MP3’s using the software MP3tag, but no entry appears under “Rating MM” or “Rating WMP.”  I don’t see any other tags whose name seems imply that the rating gets entered there…

I searched this forum before posting, didn’t see any posts about this…

Thanks

Message Edited by maxplanck on 03-15-2009 01:48 PM

@maxplanck wrote:

Which tag does “rate song” alter?

I.e., say I “rate” a song “5 stars” using the Fuze. Which MP3 Tag does that 5 star rating get entered into?

I “rated” some mp3’s using my Fuze, then viewed these MP3’s using the software MP3tag, but no entry appears under “Rating MM” or “Rating WMP.”  I don’t see any other tags whose name seems imply that the rating gets entered there…

I searched this forum before posting, didn’t see any posts about this…

Thanks

Message Edited by maxplanck on 03-15-2009 01:48 PM

I dont think it gets embedded in the tag, otherwise the rating would transfer to the PC. I dont remember anybody being able to get the ratings to transfer from the player to the computer or vise versa. It has been suggested though. I hope thats what you are asking about.

Yeah, that’s what I’m asking about. Thanks for the info.

Looks like this thread should be moved to the “wow, this firmware ■■■■■ [deleted]” thread. Why would they add the “rating” feature if it doesn’t save to file? Pretty pointless… I apparently wasted time sorting 600 mp3’s over the course of a week using the “rating” feature, only to now find out that it was a complete waste of time. What a pathetic joke.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 03-15-2009 10:36 PM

A warning!  Careful with the language.  Keep the forums clean!  -µsansa

Message Edited by microsansa on 03-16-2009 09:18 AM

@maxplanck wrote:

Yeah, that’s what I’m asking about. Thanks for the info.

Looks like this thread should be moved to the “wow, this firmware ■■■■■ :stuck_out_tongue:” thread. Why would they add the “rating” feature if it doesn’t save to file? Pretty pointless… I apparently wasted time sorting 600 mp3’s over the course of a week using the “rating” feature, only to now find out that it was a complete waste of time. What a pathetic joke.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 03-15-2009 10:36 PM

What a pathetic joke? Sounds like the theory of karmic retribution has been proven. :dizzy_face:

Message Edited by microsansa on 03-16-2009 09:19 AM

Ratings aren’t very useful if they disappear upon transfer. Personally I found it very useful on my iPod to be able to use ratings to tag songs that needed to be fixed on the computer (need to delete, wrong genre, etc). This functionality is broken on the Fuze. I’m not really sure that PC software is very consistent in its use of ratings either, though.

@bdb wrote:

Ratings aren’t very useful if they disappear upon transfer. Personally I found it very useful on my iPod to be able to use ratings to tag songs that needed to be fixed on the computer (need to delete, wrong genre, etc). This functionality is broken on the Fuze. I’m not really sure that PC software is very consistent in its use of ratings either, though.

Agreed.  It’s a very useless feature if it gets deleted when the database is refreshed.  What’s the point of rating songs if the next time you update your Fuze it’s all gone.  

If I were to rate my songs in Winamp, when I put them on my Fuze does the rating carry over?  I should test that out, it probably doesn’t. 

Ratings sync between player and device only in MTP mode.

Sansafix is right, I’ve tested and In MTP mode, ratings synced from Windows Media Player, MM, J River Media Jukebox, and Rhapsody. But in MSC not at all.

@gabe565 wrote:
Sansafix is right, I’ve tested and In MTP mode, ratings synced from Windows Media Player, MM, J River Media Jukebox, and Rhapsody. But in MSC not at all.

Did not know that Very interesting.

Yeah, its very interesting!

@bdb wrote:

That’s the point! Moreover, there is no consensus about the “rating” information in the different tag specifications: id3v2.4 defines the popularimeter tag, vorbis comment doesn’t have anything appropriate at all. As far as I know the iPod/iTunes adds proprietary tags of even different names, ignoring the standards (“H2_RATING” in this case). In short: it is a complete mess. I believe it is for this reason that SanDisk decided to store the rating info apart from the audio files. Nevertheless, I would be glad if I could copy this info in a human readable format to/from the PC. 

The iPod stores all this stuff in a separate database that iTunes (as well as other programs) understands. Its all proprietary. The Fuze is designed to do things very generically, which is great for compatibility but a lost cause for anything that isn’t inherently supported in the music file formats.