Where to buy music at .99 cents per song???

Just a suggestion, try your local library. Some have thousands of CD’s that you can borrow and roll 'yer own. And it’s a LOT cheaper than .99 per song. :wink:

I’ll look into that.  Not sure if my library is very up on music though.

I found a sight

http://mp3onlinedownloads.name/

Has anybody used these guys?

It’s on iTunes (I know you said you’re not interested, but a monthly subscription isn’t required, and soon all their music will be DRM-free if you can wait), on the album “Fleetwood Mac”.

I checked out the site you linked to. The shaky grammar in a few places makes me think it isn’t a US-based site, so the legality of their service is probably questionable at best, if that matters to you.

@gwk1967 wrote:
It’s on iTunes (I know you said you’re not interested, but a monthly subscription isn’t required, and soon all their music will be DRM-free if you can wait), on the album “Fleetwood Mac”.

I don’t quite follow when you say Sub is not required - and I don’t know what DRM free is?

When I click on the song at itunes.com - it goes to a the itunes download page?

Are you saying that you can purchase an MP3 like Amazon today - or they are introducing that feature at some point in the planned future?  I’m in no hurry - and can wait a while if something’s coming down the pipes.  I used to have Fleetwood Mac’s greatest hits album a while back - but haven’t a clue where it went over the years.

You said “I’m not all that interested in monthly subscription service download programs like I-tunes.” That’s not what iTunes is. There’s no monthly fee. You can buy albums or individual tracks, with no obligation to ever pay another cent. And yes, that’s the way it works now.

“DRM” is code embedded in a file that prevents you from using digital media in ways the creator doesn’t want you to. “DRM-free” means it doesn’t have that.

Amazon.com has DRM-free MP3s for as low 79 cents a song.  Some albums are as little as five bucks.

Rhapsody is amazing

mp3onlinedownloads.name is in the Ukraine. It looks like its just a cover for mp3fiesta.com - if you click on anything to the point of downloading, they want you to sign up for mp3fiesta. Mp3fiesta a well-known pirate site - basically you pay someone for illegal copies of music. And I have no idea who you have to hand your credit card number to in this process! The artists don’t get paid. It can be a convenient way to get illegal music, if you don’t want to just pirate it yourself.

There are three major sites that sell legal MP3s - Amazon, mp3.rhapsody.com, and napster.com. They all offer the same bitrate (256kbps), which isn’t too bad. Amazon usually has better prices. You’ll definitely find your Fleetwood Mac at one of those.

iTunes doesn’t sell MP3s; they sell a different file format that the Sansas unfortunately don’t support. Their DRM makes it so their music only plays on iPods (or in iTunes), but they’re in the process of eliminating that. Songs without DRM are labelled “iTunes Plus”. You would have to convert it to MP3 yourself (you might lose a little quality in this process, but it probably isn’t going to be noticeable).

I love Rhapsody.

Just spent 15 seconds looking, as a non-subscriber via Rhapsody.com, since I am curious.

Here’s Rhiannon, have a listen!  How cool is that!  Love the Mac.  In 256 kb/s MP3.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I love Rhapsody.

Just spent 15 seconds looking, as a non-subscriber via Rhapsody.com, since I am curious.

Here’s Rhiannon, have a listen!  How cool is that!  Love the Mac.  In 256 kb/s MP3.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Very cool. 

Mac on !!!

iTunes is now selling plain old mp3s rather than its old horrible m4a or m4p files. Amazon and (holding nose) Wal-Mart also sell a lot of mp3s now.

Emusic is hobbled by the fact that the major labels won’t let it sell their music. However, it has a whole lot of cool stuff if you click around. 

I suggest not going on any download site beginning mp3xxx, especially if they are promising that you only pay a penny per song or something like that. You have no idea what’s going to happen to your credit card information with those people. 

The main legitimate sites are iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody,  Emusic, Calabash Music (for world music) and (ewww) Wal-Mart. Before you set up an account anywhere else, do a serious Google search.  There are bad people on the internet, and they often use music as bait. 

Fireball for your song did you check Fleetwood Macs website? I dont know about that one exactly but many artists sites will let you download songs or albums from their site, and you are paying the label and the band not some third party. Also if you like the artists you find there Check out Roadrunnerrecords.com, they have artists like the misfits, and Hagar, and offer free stuff as well as digi downloads of hard to find backlogs as well as the mainstream stuff.

@bdb wrote:

There are three major sites that sell legal MP3s - Amazon, mp3.rhapsody.com, and napster.com. They all offer the same bitrate (256kbps), which isn’t too bad. Amazon usually has better prices. You’ll definitely find your Fleetwood Mac at one of those.

Thanks,

I just checked out all 3 sites - and they look like they should cover my needs between the 3 of em. 

@conversionbox wrote:
Fireball for your song did you check Fleetwood Macs website? I dont know about that one exactly but many artists sites will let you download songs or albums from their site, and you are paying the label and the band not some third party. Also if you like the artists you find there Check out Roadrunnerrecords.com, they have artists like the misfits, and Hagar, and offer free stuff as well as digi downloads of hard to find backlogs as well as the mainstream stuff.

One song I had a heckuva time finding was an original version of Tracy Chapman - fast car.  Great tune from an obscure singer ( at least IMHO ).  I downloaded it for free from Amazon a few years ago as a promotional thing - but It dissappeared with my old computer now I have to buy it afterall.

D’OH!!!

@fireball wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

One song I had a heckuva time finding was an original version of Tracy Chapman - fast car.  Great tune from an obscure singer ( at least IMHO ).  I downloaded it for free from Amazon a few years ago as a promotional thing - but It dissappeared with my old computer now I have to buy it afterall.

D’OH!!!

LOVE THAT SONG! I had to go to a second hand Record store and buy it on cassette, and then transfer that to my PC. If you can find the whole album check it out, its worth a listen. Here is the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy\_Chapman\_(album)

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-01-2009 11:49 PM

@c1u31355 wrote:

iTunes is now selling plain old mp3s rather than its old horrible m4a or m4p files. Amazon and (holding nose) Wal-Mart also sell a lot of mp3s now.

iTunes isn’t selling MP3s; iTunes Plus songs are 256kbps m4a (non-DRM AAC), and by April all of their music is supposed to be m4a. iTunes does have a “convert to MP3” function, but it just makes a copy of the m4a so you end up with two copies.

There’s nothing “horrible” about it, other than the fact that the Fuze doesn’t support it. Its an ISO standard, its supported by all the major players (except Sansa), and it provides better quality for the size than MP3.

I hadn’t realized that Wal-Mart sells MP3s. Does anyone know what bitrate or codec they use?

Try archive.org.  Then search for your song. Just in case, scan everything you download from their. It’s unlikely, but some stuff on there has viruses.

Also, using the Firefox browser, get the add-on Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express.

As stated in it’s name, you can download Youtube Videos with it.

Then you can find videos on Youtube and download them in about 2 seconds.

It’s definitely illegal, but Norton says it’s in the US.