Where has all my memory gone?

I have 1.91 Gb in my Music folder, 1.92 Gb in my Podcast folder and 391 MB in my Audiobook folder. Nothing else is in use. Why then, does my 8 Gb Fuze tell me I’m out of space when I just tried uploading a few podcasts?

Thanks

The error message is misleading. There’s something about the files that the Fuze doesn’t like.

Try this:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/848/~/%22not-enough-space-for-musicdb,-please-free-…%22-error-message-appears-on-the

Thanks, I tried what you suggested and it didn’t seem to work :o(

Are you receiving the “Not Enough Space for MusicDB. Please free . . .” error message on your player’s screen when you try to start it up, or is Windows giving you the message that that’s not enough room when you try to add more files?

The 1st can (but not always) mean that you have a corrupted file(s) on there somewhere and running ChkDsk or Error-Checking can sometimes fix the error. The latter means there physically isn’t enough space in the memory. What does the available space indicate on the player itself when you look in the Info (Settiings > System Settings > Info)? Is there enough free memory for the amount of files you’re wanting to transfer?

Note that if you are using the infamous Auto Defect USB setting instead of manually setting it to either MTP or MSC, your player can connect in either of these 2 connection modes without your knowledge. Why is this important? Because your computer can only see files that were added in the mode that you are in at the time. In other words, files added in MTP are not visible to your computer (or you) while you are connected in MSC mode, and vice-versa. So you may be getting a false sense of what is actually on there. Your player doesn’t care; it will find and play the files regardless of the transfer mode, but it can get confusing when using the Auto setting and trying to manage your files on your computer.

Regardless, formatting the player will clear the memory, so whichever issue you have you can then start over fresh and load it up again.

Are you receiving the “Not Enough Space for MusicDB. Please free . . .” error message on your player’s screen when you try to start it up, or is Windows giving you the message that there’s not enough room when you try to add more files?

The 1st can (but not always) mean that you have a corrupted file(s) on there somewhere and running ChkDsk or Error-Checking can sometimes fix the error. The latter means there physically isn’t enough space in the memory. What does the available space indicate on the player itself when you look in the Info (Settiings > System Settings > Info)? Is there enough free memory for the amount of files you’re wanting to transfer?

Note that if you are using the infamous Auto Defect USB setting instead of manually setting it to either MTP or MSC, your player can connect in either of these 2 connection modes without your knowledge. Why is this important? Because your computer can only see files that were added in the mode that you are in at the time. In other words, files added in MTP are not visible to your computer (or you) while you are connected in MSC mode, and vice-versa. So you may be getting a false sense of what is actually on there. Your player doesn’t care; it will find and play the files regardless of the transfer mode, but it can get confusing when using the Auto setting and trying to manage your files on your computer.

Regardless, formatting the player will clear the memory, so whichever issue you have you can then start over fresh and load it up again.

Aaaah, I spoke too soon. What  ended up working was cutting and pasting the contents of the Fuze drive to my computer. Then I (slow) formatted the Fuze drive and pulled over the contents back from  my computer.  I gained 4GB!