What's this in song listing --> ._ <-- I have hundreds I can't erase

Apparently, in many of the songs I’ve moved to the Fuze, there is a duplicate listing with identical song names preceded by a dot and an underscore. It looks like this: ._

They don’t show up on my computer, only on the Fuze listing. So I can’t delete them (in MTP or MSC).

Is there any way to make these appear on my PC “My Computer” so i can delete them en masse, and not one by one (one minute each) or completely reformat? There are hundreds of them and they are always first in my songlist.

Thanks

Chris in VA

Is the ._ files is playable in your fuze like common music files? I think your computer is being infected by a virus and that’s what the virus done.

@chris_va wrote:

Apparently, in many of the songs I’ve moved to the Fuze, there is a duplicate listing with identical song names preceded by a dot and an underscore. It looks like this: ._

They don’t show up on my computer, only on the Fuze listing. So I can’t delete them (in MTP or MSC).

Is there any way to make these appear on my PC “My Computer” so i can delete them en masse, and not one by one (one minute each) or completely reformat? There are hundreds of them and they are always first in my songlist.

Thanks

Chris in VA

IT does not sound like a virus to me, but rather a Tag Issue. Have you checked the Tags of the files that have this issue.

The >> ._ << files apparently don’t take up any space and don’t play. However, when I click on “play all,” the Fuze sequences through the list one song at a time, and spends about two seconds on each before going on to the next one, and so on through to the first “real” song.

Virus? AVG is up to date and nothing noticeable is affecting the PC.

Thanks

Chris in Va.

“Tags”?

Uh - oh. 

I think i know what they are, but can I do that in … well, what’s the easiest way to see them? I don’t have any of the outboard programs (besides WM11, which is a C+ max in helpfulness). I’ve never worked with tags before.

Chris in VA

MP3tag is probably the best tool for checking tags.

Its possible that they might be hidden files. One of the Explorer settings is to be able to see hidden files, by default they’re hidden in Explorer.

They were hidden files. Here are the directions to display" them so they can be zapped.

Display hidden files and folders

To display hidden files and folders

1. Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
  • Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
  • Double-click Folder Options.
  1. On the View tab, under files and folders , click Show Hidden Files and folders.

Thanks!

Chris in VA

"Is the ._ files is playable in your fuze like common music files? I think your computer is being infected by a virus and that’s what the virus done. "

Please don’t call itunes a virus. Itunes seems to create these extra files. I have no idea why.

The ._ files are “rabbit droppings” left upon connection to one of those evil alien Apple computers.  Some Apple users may know of the details…it has to do with the finder?

Bob  :wink: